Nvidia Driver causes issues on KDE

Hey guys, I’m wondering if I should switch from my Nvidia drivers to the opensource drivers because my desktop keeps having major visual issues (Youtube videos screen tearing, desktop doesn’t load properly like in the picture shown below and sometimes the blur effects disabling themselves)

I’m using Manjaro Ornara 21.0 and my system specs are these:
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.80.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.11.6-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2

Pls post the output of mhwd -li && inxi -Gz

Installed PCI configs:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI
      video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver: nvidia v: 460.56
Device-2: Sunplus Innovation FHD Camera Microphone type: USB
driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: nvidia
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.56

Looks like some fine-tuning in xorg configuration is needed. Hope someone with a desktop will pop in here, because my experience with laptops GPUs is kinda irrelevant. One thing though: it’s unlikely that you get a better flow with opensource Nouveau driver.

Hello:
I think you have the most recent Nvidia driver. My Nvidia card utilizes the same GeForce based driver 460.56 and the output of my mhwd -li and inxi -Gz for PCI video cards are the same as yours. I don’t know about your network card - I didn’t check. I have a PCI card for wifi. Can you reproduce the video tearing issue? When does it occur most? Is youtube your only video issue? Does it happen with VLC and a local file or just streaming from browser? If the desktop doesn’t load properly, have you tried a different background photo or solid color? Perhaps a smaller picture file. I am puzzled.

I can’t directly reproduce the Youtube screen tearing issue, but the desktop issue happens on every restart.

if you could type from the command prompt
sudo lspci -v
then enter your password, this will tell you about all PCI devices with more info. This will tell you linux kernel version in use for the video card. This should state kernel driver in use is nvidia in the paragraph about your video card. If it isn’t, you should reinstall your video drivers and create a dkms for your kernel.

I have similar setup and no issues like you describe (KDE with Ryzen CPU and Nvidia drivers on a GTX1060).

For the tearing with Nvidia drivers, just enable Full Composition Pipeline in advanced Nvidia Settings, with the proper refresh rate for your monitor too it is important.

Make sure these settings are saved in your nvidia.conf file (to do that easily, open Nvidia Settings with sudo, then click save config button and browse to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf).

For your KDE issue, maybe you enabled something broken like a widget. You’ll need to try thing to find out what creates the issue when you boot on your desktop. Try a new user account to see if the issue persists with a new user account. If it doesn’t then the issue probably lies in your user configuration for Plasma somewhere.

1 Like

I’m actually reinstalling the OS… should I select the open source drivers or the nvidia ones?

–edit–
Noooow I have another issue. For some reason the kde ISO wont install properly at all. It does seem to actually install anything (but it does format the drives), so it just leaves my system without an OS. I checked the ISO’s hash to make sure it wasn’t corrupt. What do I do now?

Check your hardware if you can’t even reinstall the OS. What can we suggest you to check now you erased your previous OS on which you had questions/issues about?

//EDIT: and I see you opened a new thread for this new unrelated issue Ornara KDE ISO doesn't install OS

I finally got the OS straight, I redownloaded the iso and switched out hard drives and got the computer back up. Now in reguards of the GPU… I’m not sure why the visual glitches happen, and oddly since I’ve reinstalled the OS Im not getting that visual glitching like I was before (though I haven’t installed Chrome back on the computer)

My recommendation for Nvidia still stands. If you want tear free experience you need this setting properly set, with the proper monitor resolution and refresh rate.

Click image for full description:

2 Likes

I don’t use KDE. The post seems correct - change your compositor settings. NVIDIA server settings Sync to VBlank & use conformant texture clamping. I change powerMizer settings to Prefer Maximum Performance.

these are defaults settings, unless you meant to disable them?

No known benefit, it will just never clock down when not rendering 3D or doing light applications. Automatic is the same regarding performance. It will just use more power, generate more heat and more noise, globally.

Hey so I finally got my system back on and I notice I can’t disable vsync in plasma 5.21, what should I do?

Read the caption in the album clearly stating what to do.

1 Like

Thanks I got it applied! Quick question, my monitor has the capability to go to 75Hz… how can I configure nvidia-settings to go to 75Hz?

If it’s not available in Nvidia Settings it is not supported at the resolution you selected.

I was looking at the specs of my monitor (ViewSonic VG2249)… oddly it’s suppose to have support for 75Hz at 1920x1080 via DisplayPort 1.2 (which is what I’m using). Is there a way to force Nvidia settings to make it use 75Hz?

If you’re sure it is compatible then I don’t know it should be available. Did you previously set it to this refresh rate with your video card, and cable?