Noobie problem - why might install fail when live CD works fine?

Hi. Noobie trying to set up my first Linux computer. I used a Linux OS years ago and liked it, but I really only know MS and had to follow the manual step by step for Manjaro.

After 7+ hours of trying to install Manjaro KDE on my brand-new Lenovo Ideapad 5 15ITL05, I’m stuck. I downloaded the current build (manjaro-kde-20.2.1-210103-linux59.iso) and ran a checksum. I booted off a USB drive, chose the open-source drivers, and almost everything worked out of the box, even the touchpad (though sound did not). I made sure I was connected to the internet before installing. During install, I chose ‘erase disk’ (to get rid of Windows – I made a disk img just in case, but I really hate Windows), and only changed from the default partitions to add swap (hibernate). Otherwise I only customized trivial things like locale and keyboard. But when I shut down, there was a red ERROR followed by Failed and some text in white that went by too fast to read. On restarting, it dropped me into the emergency shell. I installed again, same result.

The final message when I started up read,

ERROR: resume: hibernation device 'UUID=[32 char string]' not found
mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=[different 32 char string].
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

Since that mentioned ‘hibernation’, I tried installing a third time without a swap partition (i.e., the default setup). It still failed, though now the message on startup doesn’t have the error-resume line:

mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=[32 char string].
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

I erased the USB drive and copied the ISO onto it again, reinstalled, same error.

Tried XFCE (which as a live CD supports sound as well as the touchpad), same error.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
Thanks.

1 Like

Hard to say - but definitely don’t waste time with swap partitions on installation, it’s easy to make swapfile afterwards.

Good luck, I hope it was just a glitch. Mine instals in about 6 minutes from the USB.

Thanks, Ben.
Is there a key command to page-scroll the messages when I shut down, so I can read what the error is?

Errors get logged to the journal and we use journalctl for that.
if you type something like journalctl -b-1 you’ll get a fair bit.

journalctl -xb -p3 might be more concise.

Prior to install did you switch off Fast boot in firmware and even more important Fast Startup in Windows? Windows usually does only hibernate instead of really shutting down these days and if this is not switched off then the fs is staying in a hibernating mode making issues during installing another OS. You said you used “erase disk” during install so maybe Fast startup is not the issue here. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks Wollie, Ben.
I’ll check the error codes and Fast boot. Windows is long gone (multiple ‘erase disk’ installations), so I wouldn’t think Fast startup is it.
I was able to install and use Mint (though without sound, touchpad or video acceleration support). But I’d prefer Manjaro if I can figure it out.

Mint can boot with secure boot on in bios whereas manjaro can’t. Are you sure you don’t have secure boot on in bios?

We disabled Secure Boot first thing and haven’t touched it since. It was disabled during all installation attempts.

Reg. Wollie’s suggestion, I don’t see Fast Boot in the BIOS. Would that have been erased with the main drive?

Reformat your drive to GPT.

Thanks. You mean the target drive, not the USB drive, correct?

Of course. Reformat drive to GPT. Make sure you are in UEFI mode before you attempt booting from CD/USB and installing.
You can enable UEFI booting mode only in UEFI (BIOS), no legacy mode, no Compatibility mode, make sure all disabled except for UEFI.

Thanks. I’ll have to research that. I don’t see any of those options in the BIOS.

The target drive BTW is already in EFI and GPT. Is it worth reformatting anyway? I get the same error installing Manjaro after installing Mint, and Mint was on EFI/GPT.

Thanks, Ben. That gets me the errors from the live CD, but isn’t recognized from [rootfs ]#.

Here are my results from the live CD. 17 lines. Anything look promising?

Jan 24 00:07:57 manjaro kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0], AE_NOT_FOUND (20200717/dswload2-162)
Jan 24 00:07:57 manjaro kernel: ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20200717/psobject-220)
Jan 24 00:07:57 manjaro kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PC00.DGPV], AE_NOT_FOUND (20200717/psargs-330)
Jan 24 00:07:57 manjaro kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PC00.PEG0.PCRP._ON due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20200717/psparse-529)
Jan 24 00:07:57 manjaro kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
Jan 24 00:07:57 manjaro kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan 24 00:07:58 manjaro kernel: intel-spi 0000:00:1f.5: unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: c2 75 17 c2 75 17
Jan 24 00:07:58 manjaro kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: Transaction timeout
Jan 24 00:07:58 manjaro kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: Failed terminating the transaction
Jan 24 00:07:58 manjaro kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: SMBus is busy, can't use it!
Jan 24 00:07:58 manjaro kernel: sof-audio-pci 0000:00:1f.3: error: request firmware intel/sof/sof-tgl.ri failed err: -2
Jan 24 00:07:58 manjaro kernel: sof-audio-pci 0000:00:1f.3: error: failed to load DSP firmware -2
Jan 24 00:07:58 manjaro kernel: sof-audio-pci 0000:00:1f.3: error: sof_probe_work failed err: -2
Jan 24 00:08:02 manjaro wpa_supplicant[1066]: nl80211: kernel reports: Attribute failed policy validation
Jan 24 00:08:02 manjaro wpa_supplicant[1066]: Failed to create interface p2p-dev-wlp0s20f3: -22 (Invalid argument)
Jan 24 00:08:02 manjaro wpa_supplicant[1066]: nl80211: Failed to create a P2P Device interface p2p-dev-wlp0s20f3

Is there a way to see the error when I shut down after install, rather then when I’ve running the live CD? It begins run/ but it goes by too fast for me to read.

I’ve reformatted the drive as a single GPT partition, and reinstalled with Manjaro defaults, same error.
How do I make sure I’m in UEFI mode? I assume I am, but can’t find anything in the user guides that addresses this.

Show inxi -Fazym

Thanks. In the terminal, it says ‘command not found’, from rootfs just ‘not found’.
But this time it did keep my keyboard when the install failed.

BTW, why do some of my replies show who I’m replying to, and some don’t? Does that change whether you get pinged?

I suspect it is to do with your graphics card. Try installing with NO internet connected so it has to install what’s on the boot volume. There is an issue with Nvidia drivers.

Thanks, Melahi. My laptop doesn’t have an Nvidia card, and I coincidentally did the last install without internet (I was tired of hunt-and-peck signing in with Qwerty, so I skipped that step). Same error.