No wonder Linux is not used on the Desktop

Google have Chrome OS. Their own flagship 4-in-1 portable which comes with a 360 degree hinged keyboard is called Pixelbook and runs Chrome OS. It’s not really kicking anyone’s backside orbital though

Strit fixed it by emphasizing this point. I had already been through using a MBR pt but forgot to reboot in order that Calamares notice the change.

OMG how terrible, but then, I wouldn’t notice. I ditched MS amateurs 26 years ago. This thread does seem to prove it is no wonder that many users do not use Linux on the desktop.

Well, i wasn’t exactly talking about Chrome OS. The majority of people uses Android phones. This means, they know it “from Home”. This very same situation made MS big if you know what I mean.

Well Chrome OS essentially is Android for PC, the user experience is very much similar

Just sign /boot/efi/EFI/manjaro/grub.efi with your key and cert once and forget about it until GRUB re-installation (I mean grub-install, not update-grub - the latter does not regenerate efi file).

We have to do (something like) this command post installation for uefi system

sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"

See this topic. [UEFI - additional commands]

2 Likes

I guess Manjaro devs don’t follow tour posts.
Why don’t you open a ticket in the installers’ Issue trackers? (Calamares, M-A)

They are aware.
There is a calamares git something on it already already.
But I suppose there should be a warning somewhere, perhaps like some rc iso, they thought it would be much more temporary than it has been.

Cheers.

Ha, ha, ha :rofl::rofl::joy:
We have this quote in Greece.

Nothing is more permanent than the temporary!!

2 Likes

Bug created.

You can have bios-legacy installation on a gpt partitioned disk (without an $esp).
But you will need a (very small, unallocated and flagged) bios_grub partition at the beginning of the disk. this applies to all OS’s, not specific to Manjaro (or calamares).

Your bug report is …uhm, in error.

I have seen you state this several times recently. Would you care to elaborate a little on this procedure, if you could please be so kind. TIA.

A quick search yields the following (I have not read thoroughly these links).
link1
link 2
link 3
link 4

I tested this years ago (before UEFI was widely available). There are some here (torvic is one of them) doing exactly that. I don’t do this (just tested it).

Happy reading, tbg. Cheers.

ps: suggest use gparted to set up device before installation.
ps: and this bios_grub partition is actually to fool the bios it is an msdos partition.

1 Like

This has been my method … mentioned a few times around here - but it sadly feels like ‘arcane wisdom’.

2 Likes

Wow @gohlip, I think all this grub/bios/uefi stuff is getting too complex to keep straight in my head. I don’t know how you manage to keep on top of it all.

I loved this Wikipedia quote:

"The globally unique identifier (GUID) for the BIOS boot partition in the GPT scheme is 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649[2] (which, when written to a GPT in the required little endian fields, forms the ASCII string “Hah!IdontNeedEFI”). "

3 Likes

Hah! You’ve not used PARTUUID yet (instead of UUID) for gpt devices.
Right now, most OS’s are sufficiently capable to use it.
Do you know we can boot the OS (using PARTUUID) without specifying the initrd file (initramfs-xxx)? :open_mouth: :smiley:

Cheers.

Now your just going to make my head explode, stop already. I’m just getting over the loss of LILO, now all this. :wink:

2 Likes

Boot files of manjaro take on my drive about 3,33mb… so even 100MB is overkill, but most people have it larger then it needs. Not sure why recommendations are so mismatched. I didn’t know the end size of those files so I ended with 200mb efi partition. I left it like that but next time I will limit it to 50mb or so, however Manjaro is so stable that I don’t have the need to reinstall anything since over 1,5 year (on this laptop) where I first installed it.

Because some people and distros might mount esp to /boot, placing their kernels there. And some bootloaders store theme objects and screenshots there.

But yeah, with only one distro and not putting kernels there, you can easily get away with less. Having big esp is in case you’ll want to do something bigger later on. And let’s face it, 100Mb is totally trivial amount of space, so there is little harm in overkill.

1 Like

I think he meant /boot/efi, not /boot.
My /boot (as $esp) for systemd and refind is always more than 500MB.
My /boot/efi never exceeds 50 MB.