No sound over hdmi after last update

posting links should be resolved in the meantime: the admins changed some settings.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers.

Here I post the commands

Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',2
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',3
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',4
grep -i snd /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf » Nothing happens :/

lspci -vvnnd “::0403” says

> lspci -vvnnd "::0403"                                                 [1]
> 00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller [8086:160c] (rev 09)
> 	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:b096]
> 	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
> 	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> 	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
> 	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 52
> 	Region 0: Memory at f7214000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> 	Capabilities: <access denied>
> 	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
> 	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
> 
> 00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller [8086:9ca0] (rev 03)
> 	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:b096]
> 	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
> 	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> 	Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
> 	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 48
> 	Region 0: Memory at f7210000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> 	Capabilities: <access denied>
> 	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
> 	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
```
Systemctl gives me:
```
systemctl --user --no-pager -l status pulseaudio.service                 
● pulseaudio.service - Sound Service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-10-07 20:24:29 CEST; 7min ago
TriggeredBy: ● pulseaudio.socket
   Main PID: 841 (pulseaudio)
     CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/pulseaudio.service
             ├─841 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no
             └─871 /usr/lib/pulse/gsettings-helper

d’oct. 07 20:24:25 alfred-msb09611 systemd[737]: Starting Sound Service...
d’oct. 07 20:24:29 alfred-msb09611 systemd[737]: Started Sound Service.
```
Thanks for your help

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,
in backside there is only one hdmi port.

I have looked over the data a number of times, but I cannot find anything unusual in ALSA or PulseAudio
all HDMI outputs are [on]
(the audio device has 5 possible HDMI outputs but only 2 are likely to be available for HDMI and DisplayPort connections)
no modprobe.d file to change anything from default
and no errors in pulseaudio.service

suggest you create a backup folder & move the 4 Pulseaudio database files & the Pulseaudio cookie in ~/.config/pulse/ to backup folder

mkdir ~/.config/pulse/old/ && mv -t ~/.config/pulse/old/ ~/.config/pulse/*.tdb && mv -t ~/.config/pulse/old/ ~/.config/pulse/cookie

then reboot system so PulseAudio will create new files for databases and cookie

delete backup folder rm -r ~/config/pulse/old/ if Pulseaudio is functioning OK after reboot

1 Like

This is too complicated to me. I think I’ll install ubuntu, even if I dislike it would work fine.

In a nuthell:

1. We can’t see anything wrong

2. Please go to a terminal and copy-paste this into it:

mkdir ~/.config/pulse/old/ && \
    mv -t ~/.config/pulse/old/ ~/.config/pulse/*.tdb && \
    mv -t ~/.config/pulse/old/ ~/.config/pulse/cookie

3. Reboot

4. Is it gone now?

If you prefer the Ubuntu way you could just delete the folder ~/.config/pulse/
but some Manjaro users have custom modifications and settings stored in that folder
the suggested command sequence is to make sure only the .tdb database files and the cookie file are moved
if you are not sure about using this command you could use a file manager to move the files

1 Like

I do not prefer ubuntu. I dislike but I’m not used to terminal and I’d troubles everytime I tryed.

I’ll try once again but i fear todo. Last time i don’t know why I lost the connection between screen and computer and I’d to make a fresh install…

Read this:

Hi,

I tryed and the problem persists. Sometimes I’ve sound on first boot others I need to reboot to get sound.

Thanks

When you do have sound AND the previous boot did not, please post the output of:

journalctl --system --boot=-1 --priority=3
journalctl --system --boot=0 --priority=3

so we can compare what went wrong in your previous boot compared to this one.

(ensure the output is clearly separated)

:+1:

1 Like

I lost sound after an update. The power went out and came back an hour later my sound was gone from the restart. Had manjaro kde for 3 or 4 years running solid and I love manjaro. I couldn’t find a solution on the threads. Wiped clean and Installed manjaro xfce same problem. Installed mint yesterday sound works now. I want my manjaro kde to work

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please open a new thread in #support:sound as your issue seems vastly different from this existing issue.

2. Please read this:
    How to provide good information in your posts - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU you have, …

1 Like