No mouse cursor in Steam game with Logitech K400r

System specs Dell Optiplex 3050
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.90.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.15.16-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 2 × Intel® Pentium® CPU G4400T @ 2.90GHz
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 510
Keyboard/trackpad combo: Logitech K400r
game: Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

I am a Linux novice and I am trying to get to the point that I can leave Windows behind 100%. I have dabbled before and I generally know how to follow up to date tutorials but I do not know my way around troubleshooting this OS. I installed Steam on my system, no apparent problem. I installed Arcanum and it starts up with no problem. It has a silver rating for linux. It gets all the way to the main game menu and then there is no mouse cursor or mouse responsiveness.

I have been trying to follow a tutorial that I can’t fully post the link to in this forum but it includes roman yagodin github io guide 2019/11/12 arcanum-proton in the web address.

I get to the point in the tutorial where it says to put this into the command line: env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/500810/pfx\WINEPATH="$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton6.3/dist/bin/wine\wineconsole

The output is this:
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/500810/pfx\WINEPATH=$HOME/.local/share/Steam
/steamapps/common/Proton6.3/dist/bin/wine\wineconsole
COLORFGBG=15;0
COLORTERM=truecolor
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
DESKTOP_SESSION=plasma
DISPLAY=:0
GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5
GDK_SCALE=2
GTK2_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:/home/aburch/.gtkrc-2.0:/home/aburch/.config/gtkrc-2.0
GTK3_MODULES=xapp-gtk3-module
GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module
GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/aburch/.gtkrc:/home/aburch/.config/gtkrc
HOME=/home/aburch
KDE_APPLICATIONS_AS_SCOPE=1
KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
KDE_SESSION_UID=1000
KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5
KONSOLE_DBUS_SERVICE=:1.119
KONSOLE_DBUS_SESSION=/Sessions/1
KONSOLE_DBUS_WINDOW=/Windows/1
KONSOLE_VERSION=211202
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LOGNAME=aburch
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/aburch
MOTD_SHOWN=pam
PAM_KWALLET5_LOGIN=/run/user/1000/kwallet5.socket
PATH=/home/aburch/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/
usr/bin/core_perl:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin
PROFILEHOME=
PWD=/home/aburch
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
QT_LINUX_ACCESSIBILITY_ALWAYS_ON=1
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=HDMI-1=2;DP-1=2;HDMI-2=2;DP-2=2;HDMI-3=2;DP-3=2;
SESSION_MANAGER=local/LROptiplex3050:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/725,unix/LROptiplex3050:/tmp/.ICE-unix/725
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELL_SESSION_ID=881f345510fe41f3bda07e78ee7adae4
SHLVL=1
SYSTEMD_EXEC_PID=624
TERM=xterm-256color
USER=aburch
WINDOWID=27262983
XAUTHORITY=/home/aburch/.Xauthority
XCURSOR_SIZE=48
XCURSOR_THEME=breeze_cursors
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/home/aburch/.config/kdedefaults:/etc/xdg
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/aburch/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:
/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=KDE
XDG_SESSION_ID=2
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_VTNR=1
OLDPWD=/home/aburch
LESS_TERMCAP_mb=
LESS_TERMCAP_md=
LESS_TERMCAP_me=
LESS_TERMCAP_se=
LESS_TERMCAP_so=
LESS_TERMCAP_ue=
LESS_TERMCAP_us=
LESS=-R
PKGFILE_PROMPT_INSTALL_MISSING=1
LS_OPTIONS=–color=auto
LS_COLORS=rs=0:di=01;34:ln=01;36:mh=00:pi=40;33:so=01;35:do=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=40;31;01:mi=00:su
=37;41:sg=30;43:ca=30;41:tw=30;42:ow=34;42:st=37;44:ex=01;32:.tar=01;31:.tgz=01;31:.arc=01;31:.arj=01;31:*
.taz=01;31:.lha=01;31:.lz4=01;31:.lzh=01;31:.lzma=01;31:.tlz=01;31:.txz=01;31:.tzo=01;31:.t7z=01;31:.
zip=01;31:
.z=01;31:.dz=01;31:.gz=01;31:.lrz=01;31:.lz=01;31:.lzo=01;31:.xz=01;31:.zst=01;31:.tzst=01;
31:.bz2=01;31:.bz=01;31:.tbz=01;31:.tbz2=01;31:.tz=01;31:.deb=01;31:.rpm=01;31:.jar=01;31:.war=01;31:
.ear=01;31:.sar=01;31:
.rar=01;31:.alz=01;31:.ace=01;31:.zoo=01;31:.cpio=01;31:.7z=01;31:.rz=01;31:.c
ab=01;31:
.wim=01;31:.swm=01;31:.dwm=01;31:.esd=01;31:.jpg=01;35:.jpeg=01;35:.mjpg=01;35:.mjpeg=01;35:
.gif=01;35:.bmp=01;35:.pbm=01;35:.pgm=01;35:.ppm=01;35:.tga=01;35:.xbm=01;35:.xpm=01;35:.tif=01;35:.t
iff=01;35:
.png=01;35:.svg=01;35:.svgz=01;35:.mng=01;35:.pcx=01;35:.mov=01;35:.mpg=01;35:.mpeg=01;35:.
m2v=01;35:.mkv=01;35:.webm=01;35:.webp=01;35:.ogm=01;35:.mp4=01;35:.m4v=01;35:.mp4v=01;35:.vob=01;35:*
.qt=01;35:.nuv=01;35:.wmv=01;35:.asf=01;35:.rm=01;35:.rmvb=01;35:.flc=01;35:.avi=01;35:.fli=01;35:.fl
v=01;35:
.gl=01;35:.dl=01;35:.xcf=01;35:.xwd=01;35:.yuv=01;35:.cgm=01;35:.emf=01;35:.ogv=01;35:.ogx=01
;35:.aac=00;36:.au=00;36:.flac=00;36:.m4a=00;36:.mid=00;36:.midi=00;36:.mka=00;36:.mp3=00;36:.mpc=00;
36:
.ogg=00;36:.ra=00;36:.wav=00;36:.oga=00;36:.opus=00;36:.spx=00;36:.xspf=00;36:
P9K_SSH=0
P9K_TTY=old
_P9K_TTY=/dev/pts/2
_=/usr/bin/env
WINEPREFIX=/home/aburch/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/500810/pfxWINEPATH=/home/aburch/.local/share/Steam/s
teamapps/common/Proton6.3/dist/bin/winewineconsole

I’m assuming that I have entered something wrong but I have no idea what it is and there really aren’t any other tutorials that I have found so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Hi there,

First off … please see this for how to provide info and format things like output/code.

This was the first thing that popped up…

https://www.protondb.com/app/500810

If you dont mean this … please follow it anyways as its actually up to date, and ditch that one you have from 2019.

Also note … you will be needing the mod “Arcanum Multiverse Edition” as well.
(again, mentioned in the protondb link)

1 Like

I actually started on that website with the link from post #5 where it says that Arcanum Multiverse Edition causes unexpected crashes and its installation instructions are written for Windows. Then I moved down to post #6 which actually includes instructions for Linux and that is the link that I couldn’t post in my initial posting. Everything north of post #5 assumes steps from previous ones. All of the posts south of #9 are exactly what I’m experiencing. No cursor at the main menu. I haven’t found any actual solutions for it.

Adam

Maybe you are reading them in reverse order?

The one at the top is the most recent. I would recommend looking to those recent ones <#5

#3 = 5 months old
#4 = 11 months old
#5 = 2 years old

The latest ones somewhat refer to each other, but do not assume that you implemented steps in post #13 from 3 years ago.

It is even possible you only need the 2 step process found in post #1 (2 weeks old).
(as well as undo all previous steps)

As to the cursor issue - I doubt it is anything to do with logitech … but likely to do with these steps in ‘setting up’ proton/game. Once that is assuredly set and working according to the latest instructions … then we can maybe guess at the cursor issue particularly.

Counting from the top, posts #1 through #4 assume following the instructions in post #5 which links to a windows tutorial that includes a C:\ file path. The instructions in post #6 are the newest Linux specific ones that I can find and they’re the ones from 2019.

The instructions in post #2 assume a lot of steps already completed. This post doesn’t even contain enough context for most of the steps. Step #1 not difficult to figure out. Step #2 delete a proton prefix from what or where?

Then there’s step #5: Install AME +tick “Don’t create…subfolder…”, path the game “…/steamapps/common/Arcanum”:WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/500810/pfx" wine “AME Setup.exe”

If I google search the entire step the only result I get is the website where it originates. If I only google search Install AME +tick the only result I get on page 1 that doesn’t refer to tick removal is the website that the instruction originates.

Adam

This is not the way I understand it.

That post says it references that page … which is a general how-to of modding/patching Arcanum and itself uses examples such as the C:\ path.

So in your opinion post #2 or #3 which are mostly the same contains enough information by itself to have the game fully functional under Linux with no other websites or instructions involved?

Adam

I would try #1 with nothing else first.
Then try #2 or #3 depending on whether or not you use the “Hi-Res Patch”
Then try combining #2or#3 with the additional option in #1

(all of them include requirement of AME)

It is worth noting that these are all basically ‘user reports’.
So there are other variables at play … like what their system looks like.
#1 is by a user with Arch Linux and kernel 5.16 (with zen patchset … but doubtful that matters)
As Manjaro is an Arch-based distro, if you are using 5.16 kernel, your system would be very similar.

Post #1 requires everything including AME to already be installed and configured. It just has a single launch option and doesn’t even tell you where that option is supposed to go. That means it assumes I already know how to do all of that. I don’t and that is why I’m trying to find help with installation. #2 and #3 are not comprehensive installation instructions, they again assume that I already know how to do that. The only step by step installation instructions that I can find that are for Linux are in post #6 but as I put into my very first post, it doesn’t work and there is some output that I can’t make heads nor tales of. The base game installs through Steam and I can start it up. It has no mouse so it just sits there at the main menu unable to do anything other than play the introduction music. I’m really starting to feel like I’m being trolled here.

Adam

The listing includes this:

Launcher:
Steam

So … Steam Game Launch Options.
Ex: steam game launch options at DuckDuckGo

I might agree it is a bit short … but it is also to the point. Or are you saying

1. Delete game folder Arcanum “…/steamapps/common/Arcanum/Arcanum”

For example, is unclear? Or that you do not know how to delete?

I can translate it into a few more words I guess…

Using the Launch Options “-no3d -doublebuffer” is neccesarry, as well as the mod “Arcanum Multiverse Edition”.

Means:

• Install Arcanum in Steam

• Open Arcanum Properties (Libray > Right-Click on Arcanum > Open Properties)

• Set the following launch options (Properties > General Tab > Set Launch Options [button]):
    -no3d -doublebuffer

To also install AME (Arcanum Multiverse Edition), which is suggested:

• Delete your Arcanum folder at $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Arcanum/Arcanum/
    (note $HOME or ~ is your users home directory, ie: /home/aburch/)

• Delete Proton Prefix at $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/500810

• From Steam run the game and then quickly quit the Launcher; a new Proton prefix will be created

• Download a copy from Arcanum Fandom Wiki : Modding and Patches
    (direct link : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlFwbxR-y1FaaePyibkeQBpkpZg)

• AME is in a .zip compressed directory, so decompress it.
    (most Desktops will provide an easy way to do this with a Right-Click)

• Now install the AME exe using wine.
    The following would be run in terminal from within the same directory that contains AME Setup.exe:
    WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/500810/pfx" wine "AME Setup.exe"
    (most Desktops will provide a way to “Open Terminal Here” from Right-Click)

• During install make sure to tick “Don’t create…subfolder…” and set the game path to
    $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Arcanum

• Rename or delete
    $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Arcanum/Arcanum/SierraLauncher.exe

• Rename
    $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Arcanum/Arcanum/Config.exe
    to
    $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Arcanum/Arcanum/SierraLauncher.exe

I hope that helps.

And to note again: Thats just based on the other postings. I cant vouch for any of this.

1 Like

I get up to the install AME with wine step and the output is this.

0074:err:plugplay:enumerate_new_device Unable to install a function driver for device L"WINEBUS\VID_845E&PID_
0001\0&0000&0&0".
0074:err:plugplay:enumerate_new_device Unable to install a function driver for device L"WINEBUS\VID_845E&PID_
0002\0&0000&0&0".
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.

Are you in the right directory and/or using the full command?

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/500810/pfx" wine "AME Setup.exe"

This should be run from within the directory … such as:
You unzipped the archive. Lets say in Downloads. So you should be in (sic?)
$HOME/Downloads/Arcanum Multiverse Edition
when running the above command.

I did extract the archive first and made sure I was in the correct file folder before entering the command into the terminal. Since that time I also completely uninstalled wine and installed it again from scratch in case I missed something during wine installation that could have caused it.

The specific error code appears to be related to a driver but i can’t tell what one. Google searching the error code in quotes results in no pages, searching without quotes doesn’t seem to provide anything beyond some driver is missing. I have to guess that it’s a windows driver that wine needs to install the mod but I’ve never installed the mod in windows so I don’t know what it might require that’s currently missing.

Adam

This seems to tell me you are not in the correct directory.
Please make sure it is the directory containing AME Setup.exe

Also note, that while it is not mentioned in my tutorial above, some have suggested it is easier to manage this when AME is extracted inside the game folder itself. I have no idea about the validity of that claim.

PS. Also … just to mention… it seems you have been making ‘replies’ to the thread instead of replies to my previous posts … which means I am not notified of this interaction. If in doubt, feel free to use
@cscs’ to ping me. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the help so far and the tips. I don’t often post to forums because I can usually find what I need by searching previous posts so I wasn’t aware of the 2 different reply mechanisms.

It is now running but there are a couple of things that you couldn’t have possibly known that the users on ProtonDB did not mention in their abbreviated instructions. So for the super unlikely chance that someone else will have the exact same problem as I did.

• Now install the AME exe using wine.
    The following would be run in terminal from within the same directory that contains AME Setup.exe:
    (most Desktops will provide a way to “Open Terminal Here” from Right-Click)

This command fails due to the space in AME Setup.exe. When I renamed it to Setup.exe it successfully launched AME. I’m relatively confident that it would also have accepted AMESetup.exe as a file name too.

• During install make sure to tick “Don’t create…subfolder…” and set the game path to
    `$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Arcanum’

You have to first rename $HOME/.steam/ to $HOME/steam/ otherwise you cannot select the correct file path within AME. There is no option within AME to view hidden files or folders and you cannot type the file path in directly. Changing the folder name allows you to follow the path to where you are supposed to install it.
AME will list the installation drive as Z:\ but it will install in the correct location locally.

As soon as AME is done you have to change $HOME/steam back to $HOME/.steam otherwise steam will attempt to run a game using a file path that no longer exists and will instead start to install it all over again leaving you with both a $HOME/steam folder and a $HOME/.steam folder. If this happens, delete the .steam folder and rename the steam folder to .steam then relaunch.

Adam