No GUI or desktop display on boot after uninstalling lightdm

I’m a total noob who recently chose Manjaro as my first Linux distro, and it was workin fine for a short while. Yesterday I updated some stuff and when I booted today, I got this mssage:

Failed to start lightdm

So quickly looked up what I should do and a 1 year old post told me I should uninstall it and then type in startx. I used the tty command which takes me to a terminal and then logged into my user account, then tried to enter startx but I get a long error log which says this at the end:

unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
server error

(Can’t post the whole picture since I’m not allowed to embed images in my post)

I googled around a bit more but nothing I try seems to work for me. It’d be very helpful if someone could tell me what to do in relatively noob friendly terms.

Some among the list suggested, or still all the list?

It would be interesting to know which post exactly, and more importantly which context it was suggested in, as it may not be the same as yours.

This should also help providing info:

1 Like

Some among the list suggested, or still all the list?

Some among the list, so I guess I shouldn’t have done that.

It would be interesting to know which post exactly, and more importantly which context it was suggested in, as it may not be the same as yours.

I got the startx part from here: (forum. manjaro. org)/t/light-display-manager-failed-to-start-on-boot/6035/2

Thanks.

Indeed, you shall always update everything at once, as partial updates are not supported.

I suggest you ready a LiveUSB and chroot to your system through it, as described in the link below, and complete the update with:

sudo pacman -Syyu