No audio on new install. But am getting audio in Ubuntu

When you search the web for 9d71-ACRSYS-ACRPRDCT-2-tplg.bin then you find the solution. Switch to legacy snd_hda_intel, since the firmware is not there.

Seems there is also an entry in the ArchWiki for your Laptop or a similar one: Acer Swift 5 - ArchWiki

1 Like

Switch to legacy snd_hda_intel, since the firmware is not there.

So searching for that term, led me to an endeavor OS forum. There, a command was suggested which solved my speaker issue.

sudo sh -c ‘echo “options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1” >> /etc/modprobe.d/inteldsp.conf’

Unfortunately that didn’t resolve the microphone issue. I came across an arch forum and the discussion there went over my head.

Do you have any clues what I can do to get the microphone working (as it did under Ubuntu)

Ah thanks for that. I just replied to the other person that I used the command (which is similar to yours) to get speakers working

sudo sh -c ‘echo “options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1” >> /etc/modprobe.d/inteldsp.conf’

But unfortunately that doesn’t resolve the microphone issue. Do you have suggestions about that? IT was working under Ubuntu so it should be possible to get it up and running

I found this bugzilla thing, and it marks the issue as being resolved. But I’m looking through the comments (especailly towards the end) and am having difficulty making sense of it.

am I even looking at the right place?

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201251

On the arch wiki it says to enable internal mciophone, to add this boot parameter

snd_rn_pci_acp3x.dmic_acpi_check to enable internal microphones

So I went to /etc/default/grub

edited the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“snd_rn_pci_acp3x.dmic_acpi_check”

Unfortunatley that didn’t enable microphone? Did I do something wrong or does that command not work for?

You need to set the correct model, so:

options snd-hda-intel model=generic

See: HD-Audio Codec-Specific Models — The Linux Kernel documentation
which has a predefined patchset or patch it manually with hdajackretask. Vendors like to make modification to their hardware :wink:

1 Like

Just to clarify, combining what you wrote with some other forum, I added that line to /etc/modprobe.d/hdamodel.conf

so: sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/hdamodel.conf <<< ‘options snd-hda-intel model=generic’

Unfortunately microphone still isn’t working :frowning:

Edit: Adding that file also killed the sound. So I had to delete the file so that there was only inteldsp.conf in the folder.

So sound is working again…still nothing on microphone.

You and I know that this line is an example right? I added link with more models. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you which model fits your laptop.

If you don’t know where this tool hdajackretask is, then search for it:

pamac search --files /usr/bin/hdajackretask

and install the packages.

I personally would go for manual patching :man_shrugging:

So sorry, like I said this is all way over my head

In the link you provided, I can’t see my specific laptop. However there is an acer device and it suggests using aspire-headset-mic. Which prompted me to try swift-headset-mic (with no success)

Regarding hdajackretask, I know its program but nothing is launching from the temrinal, nor can I even find the package to install

Search retruns: No package owns /usr/bin/hdajackretask

Edit: Or is there a way to compare Kubuntu’s setting and just insert that here? I can reinstall Kubuntu and look through its settings, if I knew where to look

I understand, but I cannot do it for you :man_shrugging:

   ~  pamac search --files /usr/bin/hdajackretask                                                            ✔ 
/usr/bin/hdajackretask is owned by alsa-tools

I guess not. Most likely it is patched on kernel level at compilation. Ubuntu uses highly customized kernels, while Manjaro uses upstream kernels directly plus a handful patches.

Can you make sense of this message by a guy who works on the kernel?

This seems to be the fix I need, but I don’t know how to get it working

Note that the fixup of SF314-54/55 (ALC256_FIXUP_ACER_HEADSET_MIC)

Taken from here Linux-Kernel Archive: [PATCH 5.10 061/135] ALSA: hda/realtek: Fix headset mic for Acer SWIFT SF314-56 (ALC256)

If you don’t mention or link back to previous things, responses from other users are very likely to repeat things you have already tried

This issue may have been resolved for Ubuntu users in a bug report to Launchpad and maintainers may have overlooked referring patch upstream to ALSA developers (again)

snd_rn_pci_acp3x.dmic_acpi_check is for AMD Audio Co-Processor dmic support - not likely to work for an Intel Skylake system

install alsa-tools to get hdajackretask tool

pamac install alsa-tools

is there a way to compare Kubuntu’s setting

If available, this will give a full diagnostic of ALSA

alsa-info.sh --upload

If script is not available, use this to download and run it

wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh

Sure… linux 6.5 has this quirk:

Actually it is included since linux 5.14-rc5:

Ok, alsa-tools installed and I can open up hdajackretask

I select teh Realtek ALC256 codec

I’m not sure what to do now. If I click on “show unconnected pins” it shows two pins grayed out as microphone and internal microphone. Pin ID 0x19 and 0x1a

I clicked on “Override” and then hit “Install boot override.”

Unfortunately after restarting, that didn’t fix the microphone issue

HOw should I be using hdajackretask

Kernel patch for headset mic has been discussed before and does not support internal dmic
and there is no model name option to load ALC256_FIXUP_ACER_HEADSET_MIC

So I got hdajackretask up and running. I’m confused as to what to do now.

I can select the codec Realtek ALC256. Then if I go to “show unconnected pins” I see a bunch fo grayed out stuff.

There were two options grayed out under microphone and internal microphone. Pin ID 0x19 and 0x1a.

I hit override for both of them and then hit “Install boot override.” Unfortunately restarting didn’t resolve the issue.

How should I be doing the manul repatching?

I suggest you try using 1 troubleshooting strategy at a time instead of multiple hacks

I would not consider using hdajackretask to modify an audio codec without first getting detailed information from working and non-working systems to know what needs reconfiguring

That makes sense, I realize that I had an earlier boot option still enabled (I doubt it was doing something but I just forgot to delete it after I found out ti didn’ work).

What would you suggest I do?

Agree… it should patch it automatically:

@helpcomputer Forget about hdajackretask. Patch should be there.

Please share:

pactl list sources short

I would assume, that A) there was a change on the newest kernel or B) the mic is simply muted. Assuming that snd_hda_intel is used and not snd_soc_skl (which doesn’t work).

Check alsamixer if there is mic.

run alsa-info script on Kubuntu and Manjaro and used meld (or similar) to compare the working and non-working data