New update made my flatpak apps disappear

I’m on manjaro unstable, and a recent-ish update caused all my flatpak apps to disappear from my launcher. Whenever I launch them via the terminal I get this message:

`Note that the directories

‘/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share’
‘/home/squidink7/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share’

are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable, so
applications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your desktop until the
session is restarted.`

While I’m sure that I can fix this myself if I try, I want to see if anyone else has this issue, and if so this can act as an alert to the devs to fix it before it hits stable.

Do you run wayland session?
Have you seen this?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=927907

I’m still on xorg, and it was working fine until an update. Maybe it was a change to the way plasma works? I’m still trying to figure out where it’s coming from.

This has also happened to me on the Testing branch. I’m using Plasma and xorg. I feel this must be a Plasma issue, as my laptop (also on Testing, but with XFCE) has no issues with Flatpak.

This just happened to me on the main branch. Neither my flatpaks or my user-scripts in ~/.local/bin/ are being added to $PATH and adding them manually in ~/.bash_profile doesn’t seem to help. I can still launch flatpaks via the CLI

Just figured out the cause of this - at least with Plasma, if your user account’s default shell is fish (or not bash, maybe, I’m not sure), the environment variable doesn’t get set correctly. Changing my default shell to bash and just using fish in my terminal emulator was the easiest solution.

Fish unfortunately doesn’t care whatsoever about being posix compliant, which means scripts that set the $PATH variable are broken. It looks like @mbc’s solution is the best one for now