Need to temporarily move my drive to an old Mac

Unfortunately, my thinkpad died the other day and until i can get it repaired i have an old MacBook Pro 2,1 to use. I would like to take my boot drive out of the thinkpad and put it into the Macbook.

Issue is that the old macs have 32bit EFI and my GRUB is 64 bit.

At this point, im thinking i would be able to chroot into my boot drive from another computer and install grub32 bit, then throw that drive into the Mac an hope everything works.

Any advice? Thanks!

Not possible with grub, but with refind you would have more luck.

Why not? My concern is that the macbook wont be able to fire up the 64 bit .efi file, but grub2 allows installation with target i386, which generates a 32 bit .efi file.

Unless im missing something and refind circumvents this hardware limitation

I should also add that my boot partition is LUKS encrypted, so booting with my existing grub.cfg would be quite advantageous

You can boot the live system and work with that - temporarily.
Even save files.
Not a problem.

But actually changing the boot loader
temporarily
and switch it back
on a Mac
nahh ā€¦

doable - but:
experience and expertise / knowledge needed

ā€¦ and that as well, on top of it :wink:

Well, do what you need. I see you know better than me. Wish you much success :wink:

doable - but:
experience and expertise / knowledge needed

Can you expand on that since thats what im trying to do? :joy:

No - that is what I cannot do - I never had enough cash to waste on a Mac :wink:
Thus: no experience with them.

Never in my life have I bought a brand new computer of any brand.

But I know that when the live system is up - it can access and save files to the native file system.
ā€¦ or:
it can be made to be able to do that

That is all ā€¦

Understandable, thank you. I believe i would need to modify the Manjaro ISO in nearly the same way to get it to boot anyway.

I suppose i could also do a fresh install and then rsync over my root partition, excluding the boot directory / partition. However that would require another drive and im not sure i have one large enoughā€¦ definitely not an SSD

Would be a safe way to do it though

Have a look at ā€˜Option 2ā€™ here: Linux DVD images (and how-to) for 32-bit EFI Macs (late 2006 models) | mattgadient.com

As has already been mentioned, you could likely use the rEFInd UEFI Bootloader, and in so doing, bypass the need to mess with GRUB 2.

A 32-bit UEFI implementation is useless for Manjaro. This much is true. What is preventing you from removing the macOS $ESP? Is there an existing OS on the Mac that you wish to keep?

I just got the laptop(s) from my parents house and, turns out, there is no drive in it. I got rEFInd onto a USB drive and am able to boot that. Because of the LUKS encryption on my ā€œrealā€ boot drive, rEFInd is unable to see it (boot is on the encrypted root partition with only the EFI partition being unencrypted).

Now I am flashing a Manjaro live CD onto a second USB drive to see if I can boot that via rEFInd.

Iā€™m thinking that the ā€œbestā€ course of action would be to somehow move /boot onto a second USB drive that rEFInd can see / bootā€¦ my fstab is all UUIDs, so thereā€™s a chance of this working.

If I am able to do that, then I can put the drive into the MBP and Iā€™ll just need 2 flash drives to boot. I should be able to remove at least the rEFInd drive after boot up.

One of the laptops is the MBP 2,1 weā€™ve been discussing and the other is newer. I believe that one (a unibody) will boot 64bit EFI, however the trackpad is brokenā€¦ so I have the option of struggle to boot or struggle to use lol. Iā€™d like to get the 2,1 working for nostalgia sake as well as it having a working trackpad. The newer one also has hybrid graphics, which is a whole other world of hurt to get working with Linux (when I was using this laptop I settled for intel gpu only with no external display support for battery life), but of course Appleā€™s implementation is far from standard.

rEFInd should then be able to chainload the .efi file within the Manjaro directory (on the $ESP), which launches GRUB - This should be one of the two Manjaro ā€˜iconsā€™ showing - the other, bypasses GRUB completely and launches the kernel stub (this wonā€™t work with encryption).

rEFInd doesnā€™t need to see /, as GRUB takes over.

hmmm rEFInd doesnā€™t see anything with my boot drive plugged in. It does show an entry with the live CD plugged it. However it doesnā€™t boot. Throws a ā€œnot found returned from legacy loaderā€ error :frowning:

rEFInd doesnā€™t need to see /, as GRUB takes over.

Thatā€™s the result I was hoping for, but like I saidā€¦ rEFInd doesnā€™t show any entries from the boot drive

Seems like itā€™s trying to boot from BIOS modeā€¦

Youā€™re in uncharted territory here, to some extent. Letā€™s backtrack a little and look at other options. If I understand it, you just need a functioning OS until the ThinkPad is repaired, correct?

This is a possible workaround, without messing with your existing disk; and by not messing with it, you should be able to just plug it into your ThinkPad when itā€™s fixed, without any fuss.

NomadBSD

This is a FreeBSD-based OS designed to run only from a USB drive (minimum 8GB, 32GB is better). You basically write the downloaded image to a USB, and then boot with it. It will save a lot of time and energy.

Have a look at it, and see if that might be enough to get you through the next few weeks, or whatever.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got an update! Tried again on the newer computer, and I got a LUKS password prompt, then a grub screen and I do believe itā€™s booting (walked away to type this)

So there does just seem to be an issue with the 64bit binary of GRUB.

Yup, it is indeed running. Extremely slow over USB2ā€¦ but itā€™s running.

Well, the later machine is the obvious choice. :smile:

Technically yesā€¦ but I would like my install :smiling_face_with_tear:

Understood. That would be my preference also. Take a look at Nomad in any case, if you find a few minutes, as it can also be useful as a rescue disk, of sorts.

For now though, it looks like youā€™re good to go. Cheers.

1 Like