My Manjaro won't boot anymore and I get this message: error file /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 not found

So far, this is pretty much all I know, and I don’t really know if there’s much more detail I can give…
I’ve done extensive research and tried to fix it myself, however all the stuff I found out there was not helpful to my situation.

Shortly before this happened, I had just finished downloading a new game on Steam, which I played, while I let a system update (sudo pacman -Syyuu) run in the background as I do that. The update couldn’t finish, because of some conflicting files though and so it interrupted the update and stopped. I couldn’t bother with that, so I continued playing my game, intending to deal with that later. But then (this was some time later) my game froze, and I couldn’t do anything anymore, Alt+F4 didn’t help, neither Alt+Tab or anything else, so I force shutdown my computer. When I reboot after that, the issues occured. I would really appreciate someone’s help because I’ve had quite a hard time trying to research this so far, and I can’t get back into Manjaro anymore…

1. chroot
  2. Install missing kernel(s) again and do a full update.
  3. Google ‘exists in filesystem’ and fix your conflicting files. (and redo second point)
1 Like

:stop_sign: Don’t do that - be smarter

That shouln’t be a problem - the update is a transaction - so if the pre-validation fails - the transaction is not commited.

:stop_sign: Don’t do that

Your incident description is not entirely correct - if your kernel gone missing after your force shutdown - then the sync process has not been cancelled before the transaction - but during the transaction - and that is the problem and a very likely explanation as to why your system froze as well.

As @zbe points out - start your computer using a live ISO - chroot the manjaro system and install the kernel including a full system sync.

3 Likes

Ok, so how do I create a “live ISO”, if I am reading correct, then a live ISO is something that I burn onto a USB stick? So I am not able to open the terminal from my GRUB screen and do chroot from there?
I already tried to do commands to fix my system from the small console I get if I press C when selecting the Manjaro kernels to boot from. But I couldn’t use most commands there.

Yes. Search online, there are plenty of tutorials/wiki articles.

:mag:

Summary

https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=write%20iso%20to%20usb

1 Like

Ok, I have made a live USB with Manjaro on it, and this is the only Terminal that I could get from there. Is this correct, or am I not allowed to boot into Manjaro from the live USB and use the terminal there (in the Desktop environment which I get there)?

From there you’ll have to enter a chroot environment using the terminal emulator you’ve got open there.

To enter a chroot environment:

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel. You seem to have this done.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive. And this.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment. And this.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot environment:

manjaro-chroot -a

If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

If sucessfully done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart and can cause damage.

Once that’s done, you’ll have to sync the system again. I recommend pamac:

pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel

Hope this helps!

Thanks man, but I’ve now got the problem that “manjaro-chroot -a” mounts into the wrong directories. It goes to my second SSD, instead of my main SSD wherr my linux system is installed. Do you happen to know how I can go into the right SSD?

Reboot into the live environment again, and try without the -a argument:

manjaro-chroot

Then it shouldn’t try everything automatically.

Alternatively, try shutting down and disconnecting the drive that shouldn’t be used.

Hmm ok then, well if I do ‘manjaro-chroot’ then this is output I get:

I believe that bit with the drive will be a bit more tricky though…
I have both Windows and Manjaro on my computer, and I split them 60/40 on my first main drive (SSD), and recently installed a second SSD, internally, so I can’t detach that from my PC… So that’s the reason why my chroot doesn’t automount to the correct place. I looked it up using 'sudo fdisk -l" though and I believe my manjaro system is installed on /dev/sdb7.

Open Firefox there and use that to browse here.

Using that, provide the output of:

lslk -f

and

fdisk -l

…please.

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as descrribed above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

Please edit your post accordingly.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang: Also, if your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

to auto detect available linux systems

sudo manjaro-chroot -a

to mount beforehand

sudo mount /dev/sdb7 /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Ok, so I am now on Firefox on my PC,
For some reason my keyboard is also messed up here so Im having a hard time finding the right symbols

I believe you meant lsblk -f
The output I got was this:

loop0  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3  squashfs 4.0                                                                          0   100% /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda                                                                                                   
└─sda1 ext4     1.0              Drive2           26bfa3a1-e941-4fc6-9e01-3a03d4bcc8df                
sdb                                                                                                   
├─sdb1 vfat     FAT32                             AABF-6DE8                                           
├─sdb2                                                                                                
├─sdb3 ntfs                                       94C8C3A1C8C37FCA                                    
├─sdb4 vfat     FAT32            NO_LABEL         62C3-86D9                                           
├─sdb5 ntfs                                       DAD0296DD02950D5                                    
├─sdb6 swap     1                                 6dcc9433-d7d9-4ce1-9d22-a9b3eca3f37e                
└─sdb7 ext4     1.0                               e922c39e-8f14-486b-a56b-275138ba6a85                
sdc    iso9660  Joliet Extension MANJARO_KDE_2137 2022-08-16-12-52-10-00                     0   100% /run/miso/bootmnt
├─sdc1 iso9660  Joliet Extension MANJARO_KDE_2137 2022-08-16-12-52-10-00                              
└─sdc2 vfat     FAT12            MISO_EFI         C80E-8B3F                                           

And for fdisk -l I got this:

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop0: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop1: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop2: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop3: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdc: Permission denied

Oh and thanks for the tips, I am a native english speaker, you mess up the sentences on your phone sometimes though…

An ISO boot menu provides option to select language and keyboard before booting the live system.

Ah ok, I think I’m starting to remember now. Didn’t quite realize that, well now I must’ve automatically received an International/American keyboard or something which isn’t syncing up with my current keyboard. But oh well

Ok, well I typed the pamac command you suggested to me earlier, and this is how it looks like in my terminal:

sh-5.1# pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel
Warning: Building packages as dynamic user
Warning: Setting build directory to /var/cache/pamac
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
unable to lock database
Failed to synchronize databases
https://aur.manjaro.org/packages-meta-ext-v1.json.gz: Unacceptable TLS certificate
Failed to synchronize AUR database
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: rubygems will be installed before its ruby dependency
Warning: ruby-stdlib will be installed before its ruby dependency
Warning: ruby-bundledgems will be installed before its ruby dependency

To upgrade (77):
  linux60-nvidia                      520.56.06-13           (520.56.06-9)          extra      
  make                                4.3-5                  (4.3-3)                core       
  manjaro-release                     22.0.0rc-1             (22.0.0pre3-1)         core       
  manjaro-settings-manager            0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  manjaro-settings-manager-kcm        0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier  0.5.7-12               (0.5.7-11)             extra      
  memtest86+                          6.00-2                 (6.00-1)               extra      
  opusfile                            0.12-3                 (0.12-2)               community  
  qt5-script                          5.15.11-2              (5.15.11-1)            extra      
  mixxx                               2.3.3-3                (2.3.3-2)              community  
  mobile-broadband-provider-info      20221107-1             (20220725-1)           extra      
  ntfs-3g                             2022.10.3-1            (2022.5.17-1)          extra      
  ntp                                 4.2.8.p15-2            (4.2.8.p15-1)          extra      
  okular                              22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  pkcs11-helper                       1.29.0-2               (1.29.0-1)             extra      
  openvpn                             2.5.8-2                (2.5.7-1)              extra      
  opera                               92.0.4561.43-1         (92.0.4561.33-1)       community  
  oxygen                              5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  packagekit                          1.2.5-2                (1.2.5-1)              community  
  pamac-cli                           10.4.3-1               (10.4.2-2)             extra      
  pamac-gtk                           10.4.3-1               (10.4.2-2)             extra      
  partitionmanager                    22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  plasma-browser-integration          5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  polkit-kde-agent                    5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-desktop                      5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  ppp                                 2.4.9-3                (2.4.9-2)              core       
  wpa_supplicant                      2:2.10-7               (2:2.10-5)             core       
  plasma-nm                           5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  pulseaudio                          16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  plasma-pa                           5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-systemmonitor                5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  plasma-workspace-wallpapers         5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  powerdevil                          5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  print-manager                       22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  pulseaudio-bluetooth                16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-jack                     16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-lirc                     16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-rtp                      16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  pulseaudio-zeroconf                 16.1-3                 (16.1-1)               extra      
  python-cryptography                 38.0.3-1               (38.0.1-1)             extra      
  python-cssselect                    1.2.0-1                (1.1.0-9)              extra      
  python-dnspython                    1:2.2.1-2              (1:2.2.1-1)            community  
  python-wheel                        0.38.2-1               (0.37.1-1)             community  
  python-pip                          22.3.1-1               (22.3-1)               extra      
  python-platformdirs                 2.5.3-1                (2.5.2-1)              extra      
  python-pycurl                       7.45.1-2               (7.45.1-1)             extra      
  python-pyqt5                        5.15.7-3               (5.15.7-2)             extra      
  python-reportlab                    3.6.12-1               (3.6.11-1)             community  
  qt6-base                            6.4.0-3                (6.4.0-2)              extra      
  qbittorrent                         4.4.5-2                (4.4.5-1)              community  
  qt5-imageformats                    5.15.7+kde+r5-1        (5.15.6+kde+r5-1)      extra      
  qt5-virtualkeyboard                 5.15.7-1               (5.15.6+kde+r1-1)      extra      
  qt5-webkit                          5.212.0alpha4-18       (5.212.0alpha4-17)     extra      
  rsync                               3.2.7-2                (3.2.7-1)              extra      
  rubygems                            3.3.25-1               (3.3.23-1)             community  
  ruby-stdlib                         3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  ruby-bundledgems                    3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  ruby                                3.0.4-20               (3.0.4-18)             community  
  s-nail                              14.9.24-2              (14.9.24-1)            core       
  sddm-kcm                            5.26.3-1               (5.26.2-1)             extra      
  sdl12-compat                        1.2.60-1               (1.2.56-1)             community  
  webkit2gtk                          2.38.2-1               (2.38.1-1)             extra      
  shotwell                            2:0.30.17-2            (2:0.30.16-2)          community  
  skanlite                            22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  spectacle                           22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
  spectre-meltdown-checker            0.45+1+gb68ebe6-1      (0.45-1)               community  
  splix                               2.0.0-18               (2.0.0-16)             community  
  sudo                                1.9.12.p1-1            (1.9.12-1)             core       
  systemd-sysvcompat                  251.8-1                (251.7-1)              core       
  telegram-desktop                    4.3.1-2                (4.2.4-1)              community  
  thunderbird                         102.5.0-1              (102.4.1-1)            extra      
  timeshift                           22.06.5+12+g92ad80c-2  (22.06.5-3)            community  
  usbutils                            015-1                  (014-2)                core       
  vpnc                                1:0.5.3.r506.r204-2    (1:0.5.3.r506.r204-1)  extra      
  xf86-input-void                     1.4.2-1                (1.4.1-6)              extra      
  xmlsec                              1.2.36-2               (1.2.36-1)             extra      
  yakuake                             22.08.3-1              (22.08.2-1)            extra      
To install (3):
  libsigc++-3.0                       3.2.0-1                                       extra      
  glibmm-2.68                         2.74.0-1                                      extra      
  openssl-1.1                         1.1.1.s-2                                     core       

Total installed size: 9.6 MB

Apply transaction ? [y/N] 

Hope this isn’t too big for the post…

Well, I’m not. But I do believe my English is better than most people’s.

And as for:

My apologies, it should have been:

sudo fdisk -l

That won’t help if it’s not run from inside the chroot environment.

Oh, I thought I was inside of the chroot environment…
I typed these two commands, as I saw them suggested by @linux-aarhus:

sudo mount /dev/sdb7 /mnt                                                                                                                127 ✘ 
 ls                                                                                                                                           ✔ 
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
 sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt 

I am confused though, I saw programs among the updates which were definitely only installed on the manjaro desktop that I’m trying to repair right now… So was that not correct?

I must be going to work now though, so I’ll be checking this forum again in a few hours, 'til then everybody…