My gpu does not give its potential in all applications

At first, I thought that my GPU was failing because I have it working with a SATA adapter to 6 pins power. The failure consisted in opening blender and run some file moderately complex graphics and Cemu in Zelda when I took the viewer, the pc was froze.
I decided to install Optimizus Manager since I have 2 monitors and through Corectrl I see that the use of the pc is static as if it was not being used. However, when using Cemu and play if you use the GPU, the use of the pc is static if you use the GPU.

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Kernel: 6.1.26-1-MANJARO 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ            β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Uptime: 12 mins 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Packages: 1182 (pacman) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Shell: zsh 5.9 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Resolution: 1366x768, 1366x768 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   DE: GNOME 43.5 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM: Mutter 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM Theme: Adwaita 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Theme: Adw-dark [GTK2/3] 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Icons: Papirus-Dark-Maia [GTK2/3] 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Terminal: gnome-terminal 
                               CPU: Intel i7-4790S (8) @ 4.000GHz 
                               GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM 
                               GPU: Intel HD Graphics 
                               Memory: 2480MiB / 7834MiB 

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

Removed useless screenshots

Hello @liltingle :wink:

What do you expect? There is the Intel GPU which is used by default and ab Amd GPU which can be used on demand. When you start blender without targeting the AMD, it will use Intel.

well that’s what you would expect to happen, it just never happens, it only happens in the cemu emulator that gives you the option to specify which graphic to use.

Moderator edit: Useless images removed. Again.

What is your main gpu now? Where is what connected? Which GLX are you using by default? You provide zero information about that. See what @cscs linked plus:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

What cemu emulator actually does is switching GLX. It applies DRI_PRIME=1 before launching emulation, which is what I call β€œused on demand”.

Or use xrandr (if you use xorg, not wayland) to set the β€œrender offload sink”, see here: PRIME - ArchWiki

1 Like
$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
$ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"`
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series (pitcairn, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.49, 6.1.26-1-MANJARO)

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

So you understand now what I mean? It does not switch automatically β€œOpenGL” β†’ β€œGLX”.

1 Like

ooo great using DRI_PRIME=1 before running blender I get the expected result, to transpolate that function to the whole system I have to use which command?

xrandr.

xrandr --listproviders
xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink radeon Intel
xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink 1 0

More information see man xrandr

$ DRI_PRIME=pci-0000_06_00_0 glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL renderer'
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x46 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 5 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x87 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 4 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
$ xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink radeon Intel`
Could not find provider with name radeon
$ xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink 1 0

Please read the link I provided:

There is also an example for a xorg config mentioned for a permanent solution.

what I don’t understand is why xrandr --listproviders gives me 2 modesetting, instead of 1 amd and 1 intel.

Because both are running with xorg modesetting (Kernel Mode Setting) driver, which is the default nowadays. Yeah I understand, it can be confusing, but early there were actually 2 different drivers.

yes, but I think there is something not specified or wrong with my pc configuration.

xrandr --listactivemonitors ξ‚² :heavy_check_mark:
Monitors: 2
0: +*VGA-1 1366/413x768/234+1366+0 VGA-1
1: +HDMI-1-3 1366/410x768/230+0+0 HDMI-1-3

as I understood this command is to invert the order but as the option of the names is discarded because they are the same, the numbers could be an alternative however it gives this error
xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink 0 1

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 34 (RRSetProviderOffloadSink)
Value in failed request: 0x46
Serial number of failed request: 16
Current serial number in output stream: 17