My desktop shows up completely empty after system updates

DISPLAY=:0 startplasma-x11

caused this popup to show up:

Other than that, had no visible effect.

HMMMmmm…Welp…

It seems I’m either being cursed by your PC in arabic or something, or it’s possessed and you need an exorcist.

Either way, I don’t know what to do. Sorry.

:sob:

Edit:

Just thought of this: try running it without the prefix:

startplasma-x11

I meant these:

That was the first thing I tried. Just gives me the error:

$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

That didn’t help.
I rebooted, entered the password, and the issue persists.

rerun update again:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

if you are up to date, and there are no errors, check with:
sudo ldconfig
it should return nothing, if it does, create a new test user, reboot, log in with it and see if it has the same issues

There have been some recent forum posts suggesting that corruption of a KDE configuration file was to blame for some similar issues. You could try renaming the file; plasma will create a fresh one after logging out and back in.

mv ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.bak

If things work properly afterwards, you could try to restore your original desktop appearance with the relevant lines from the original config file.

3 Likes

Indeed, that was the issue.

I just found this:

I didn’t need to move/remove the file, just deleting the [ScreenMapping] section was enough.

My gosh the KDE people really need to get their s*** together :roll_eyes:

some process(es) after autologin failed to start, from what I can see
(looks like telegram.desktop)
you could try to disable autologin

it (in theory) should not affect the display manager itself

have you tried stopping and then starting the service?

but perhaps what @Takakage said
I don’t run KDE (only in a VM) and have never experienced a problem
but I also never had autologin - too many problems with apps that want or need authentication before they start

I used KDE5/Plasma for a brief time, and during that time, I routinely backed up:

• $HOME/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
  • $HOME/.config/plasmashellrc

to $HOME/kdeSaves.

I restored when the desktop seemed to , “randomly lose the desktop settings”. Never found the root cause, but was leaning towards multiple monitors. Interesting that it is still necessary to backup config files.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.