MUST HAVE apps in manjaro kde

Hello everyone
I hope you’re all alright
I was just wondering. Isn’t it ridiculous that kde doesn’t have apps like clocks(alarms), calendar, voice recorder, etc by default?!

[sarcasm]
What are those used for?
[/sarcasm]
:rofl:

The only must have package is plasma-desktop :crazy_face:

ONLY if you want a GUI…

[sarcasm]
I wouldn’t know. Wasting space, I presume. :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
[/sarcasm]

You can run plasma without a graphical interface? :open_mouth:

/etc is there, by default, in any install …

Hopefully this topic is not turning into something else

1 Like

Nope, at least not as far as I’m aware, seeing as plasma IS the GUI.

(Or that’s how I understand it, correct me if I’m wrong.)

It’s actually the WM, the DE (kde) is the GUI.
Hate being serious in this topic :rofl:

Ok ok I know some of those are preferences
But what about alarms?
Thats really necessary, isn’t that?

Calendar is included as an available widget by default.

I am pretty sure you can record too … though maybe there isnt a fancy app.

That is not something included I dont think … and I dont think many DE’s have one either.

Going by the fact I only ever used a computer-based alarm clock years ago as an exercise, and never with manjaro … I am going to go with ‘no’ … its not necessary … in fact its probably a pretty niche need.

In any case … you have easy access to thousands and thousands of packages for free … I am sure you can install an app or two to do what you want.

1 Like

Yeah I guess youre right :slight_smile:

Each distribution can vary based on their mission, but power to the user - installl them as needed. KDE has been restructured for some time now into KDE Plasma and KDE Applications. A user could run KDE Plasma without KDE Applications. A list of apps can be found at apps.kde.org. Most of the apps you listed will be in the Office section.

2 Likes

Fair enough
Thanks a lot

If you would like and alarm app, KDE has the kalarm application. You can install it directly from the manjaro repo.

There is a widget called Event calendar, it includes a calendar, clock, timer alarm, weather info, and you can couple it to Google calendar.
It is the first thing I install after doing a fresh linux distro install.
You will have to download it though as it is not included by default, which is a real pitty IMO.

I assume you mean plasma5-applets-eventcalendar
And one reason its not included is because its in the AUR, not the repos.
Another is that its overkill for the majority of people.
And yet another is that these types of applets usually have a silly amount of overhead for what they accomplish.

I certainly think this is the type of thing a user should add if they want it … not a default:

2 Likes

Yes, that is the one.
I like the fact that you can see it all in one place in a compact form, just by clicking on it, instead of having to open multiple applications.

Maybe … but thats a preference.
I dont use events or weather apps at all.
I wouldnt be surprised if that was true for the bulk of other users as well.
(especially if you count those that only use it in specific circumstances - ex part of their mail client)

Well … I think wttr.in is cool … ex

$ curl wttr.in/~Kilimanjaro

Weather report: Kilimanjaro

_`/"".-.     Patchy rain possible
    ,\_(   ).   62 °F          
     /(___(__)  ↙ 3 mph        
       ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  6 mi           
      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.0 in         
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤  Mon 21 Dec ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│            Morning           │             Noon      └──────┬──────┘     Evening           │             Night            │
├──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┤
│    \  /       Partly cloudy  │  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain po…│  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain po…│    \  /       Partly cloudy  │
│  _ /"".-.     69 °F          │   ,\_(   ).   82..84 °F      │   ,\_(   ).   77..80 °F      │  _ /"".-.     73..78 °F      │
│    \_(   ).   ↖ 2 mph        │    /(___(__)  ↖ 3-4 mph      │    /(___(__)  ↙ 8-9 mph      │    \_(   ).   ↙ 4-10 mph     │
│    /(___(__)  6 mi           │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  5 mi           │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  5 mi           │    /(___(__)  6 mi           │
│               0.0 in | 0%    │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.0 in | 65%   │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.1 in | 66%   │               0.0 in | 0%    │
└──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┘
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤  Tue 22 Dec ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│            Morning           │             Noon      └──────┬──────┘     Evening           │             Night            │
├──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┤
│    \  /       Partly cloudy  │  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain po…│  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain po…│    \  /       Partly cloudy  │
│  _ /"".-.     71..77 °F      │   ,\_(   ).   84..86 °F      │   ,\_(   ).   77..78 °F      │  _ /"".-.     69 °F          │
│    \_(   ).   ↖ 1-2 mph      │    /(___(__)  ← 3-4 mph      │    /(___(__)  ↙ 9-11 mph     │    \_(   ).   ↙ 6-13 mph     │
│    /(___(__)  6 mi           │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  5 mi           │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  5 mi           │    /(___(__)  6 mi           │
│               0.0 in | 0%    │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.0 in | 84%   │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.0 in | 66%   │               0.0 in | 0%    │
└──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┘
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤  Wed 23 Dec ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│  _ /"".-.     77..78 °F      │   ,\_(   ).   84 °F          │   ,\_(   ).   77..78 °F      │  _ /"".-.     73..80 °F      │
│    \_(   ).   ↗ 0 mph        │    /(___(__)  ← 3 mph        │    /(___(__)  ↙ 9-10 mph     │    \_(   ).   ↙ 6-13 mph     │
│    /(___(__)  6 mi           │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  6 mi           │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  5 mi           │    /(___(__)  6 mi           │
│               0.0 in | 0%    │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.0 in | 88%   │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.0 in | 86%   │               0.0 in | 0%    │
Location: Kilimanjaro, Northern, Tanzania [-3.4762789,37.3872648]
1 Like

Something else I thought of last night:

Linux, and thus Manjaro, is extremely…customiseable. (Unlike Winblows.) Because of this you can’t, really, have a list of standard “Must haves” seeing as everyone’s prefeerence is different.

To accomplish that you’ll have to have a one-size-fits-all approach, and to hell with the rest. And that is the opposite of what Linux, in general and Manjaro specifically, aim for.

If I wanted a list of prescribed software to Use, I’d have stuck with Windows or Apple.

Sure, if you don’t like it you can uninstall it and use something else, but then we’d be back to Winblows…

3 Likes