Mkvtoolnix-gui: error while loading shared libraries: libcmark.so.0.29.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ mkvtoolnix-gui
mkvtoolnix-gui: error while loading shared libraries: libcmark.so.0.29.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ locate libcmark

/usr/lib/libcmark.so
/usr/lib/libcmark.so.0.30.2
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libcmark.pc

$ pamac info mkvtoolnix-gui

Name                  : mkvtoolnix-gui
Version               : 63.0.0-1
Description           : Set of tools to create, edit and inspect Matroska files
URL                   : https://mkvtoolnix.download/
Licenses              : GPL2
Repository            : extra

$ inxi -S
System: Host: hp Kernel: 5.15.2-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux

Package maintainer claims not to support Manjaro and to mention this on MJ bug tracker (i do not know its URL)?

Workaround is to symbolic link from missing to newer library: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcmark.so.0.30.2 /usr/lib/libcmark.so.0.29.0

The package need to be rebuilded against the new cmark version

Your system is not fully up-to-date or the package has been imported in the Manjaro repos with a wrong timing

Remove it and try the flatpak to see if you get the same issue. I have the one installed from extra and it’s working fine. As for Manjaro not being support that’s Pure BS. Lolix is right before attempting to install it again or to install the flatpak update your system first.

cmark was updated before (2021-09-24 16:09 UTC) the package got built by Arch (2021-11-15 14:29 UTC). Do you have some package from AUR?

Thank you, i do not know why, but mkvtoolnix shown that i am using version 5x and 63 is available. Then i have tried to reinstall as you have suggested:

$ sudo pacman -S mkvtoolnix-gui
it found: :: mkvtoolnix-cli and mkvtoolnix-git are in conflict. Remove mkvtoolnix-git? [y/N] y
full output

then i have removed the symlink i have created previously: sudo rm /usr/lib/libcmark.so.0.29.0

and mkvtoolnix launch without issue, in latest version 63. I do not know what i did wrong that it was corrupted, maybe manjaro can prevent or be more informative to the noob user like me - seems like i was running two versions at once and some outdated was silently preferred.

Cmark updated or not MKVToolNix should of installed without issue. Shame you didn’t attempt to launch it from terminal and then post the output here.

You simply installed a package from the AUR and didn’t update it …

1 Like

The AUR pkgbuild needed to be rebuilded when a new version of cmark is out

before the issue, i did:
pamac upgrade -a --aur --devel

unsure why it find no update to that package. MJ not given me idea i am running two versions at once.

Don’t use the AUR unless you can’t get the program anyother way. And for something like MKVToolNix don’t install the CLI version. That’s command line interface aka terminal only.

The rebuild needed was a manual operation to do

I’m not using pamac so don’t how it behave for this

It also depends when cmark was updated and when you had run that command

mkvtoolnix-cli is a dependency of mkvtoolnix-gui

Which will be installed by mkvtoolnix-gui, no need to independently install it.

1 Like

git package from the AUR provided the cli tool, hence the issue.

Same happens for fsearch-git AUR package:
fsearch: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.69: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ pamac search -a fsearch
fsearch-git                                                                                                                                                [Installed] 0.1.r9.g9604967-1  AUR 
    A fast graphical file search utility. Development version.
fsearch                                                                                                                                                                0.1-1              AUR 
    A fast graphical file search utility.
$ pamac build fsearch-git
Preparing...
Cloning fsearch-git build files...
Generating fsearch-git information...
Checking fsearch-git dependencies...
Warning: downgrading package fsearch-git (0.1.r9.g9604967-1 => 0.1.r6.g878232a-1)
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To build (1):
  fsearch-git  0.1.r6.g878232a-1  (0.1.r9.g9604967-1)  AUR

full output

not fixed the issue.

after cloning git repo and building, it starts working. so i have removed that AUR package fsearch-git.

Cause is the AUR package maintainer failure to update the package on time?

$ locate libicuuc.so

/usr/lib/libicuuc.so
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so.69
/usr/lib/libicuuc.so.69.1
/usr/lib32/libicuuc.so
/usr/lib32/libicuuc.so.69
/usr/lib32/libicuuc.so.69.1

Bumping the pkgbuilds for library rebuilds is welcome but not mandatory, also on Manjaro (especially stable branch) the timing will not be correct because updates are delayed respect to Arch

First forget the git packages (pun intended) unless you have no other choice. Second you have AngrySearch, SearchMonkey, Catfish and others you could install that are properly maintained.

Thx for the suggestion.

$ angrysearch

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/angrysearch", line 17, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/angrysearch.py", line 1753, in main
    ui = AngryMainWindow()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/angrysearch.py", line 662, in __init__
    self.init_gui()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/angrysearch.py", line 911, in init_gui
    self.show_first_500()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/angrysearch.py", line 1206, in show_first_500
    cur.execute('''PRAGMA user_version;''')
sqlite3.DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

$ pamac search -a searchmonkey
only AUR package found

$ catfish
I have installed it and it maybe 4 times slower than fsearch which gives near instant results + i have seen it suggest lower number results than fsearch + fsearch gives more options on what to do with the file (right mouse click). But thank you for a suggestion.

PS: still i think MJ should have handled that mentioned issues better so noob like me do not end up asking at forums and uninstalling app and installing manually from git (noob does not know how). But it is manjaro/Arch = many bugs and developers does not show interest to fix things (see my 0 replies topics here). No bug tracker link there.

Noob or not - when using AUR build scripts - you are in unsupported territory - and issues caused by your locally built packages is not a Manjaro issue.