Migrating to dual SSD setup with new drive topology

I’m currently running a dual boot setup with Windows 10 currently and my 500GB nvme is full on my Linux partition and given that I haven’t been able to update packages for about 2 weeks now I need to get to buying a new SSD and cloning.

df
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev             7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
run             7.8G  1.8M  7.8G   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p6   40G   31G  6.9G  82% /
tmpfs           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           7.8G  1.3M  7.8G   1% /tmp
/dev/nvme0n1p7  218G  206G   70M 100% /home
/dev/nvme0n1p1   96M   26M   71M  27% /boot/efi
tmpfs           1.6G  124K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000

My motherboard supports 2 nvme slots so my plan is to migrate with How to migrate to an SSD without losing dual boot? - #3 by cbDejaVu and [HowTo] make a crash-proof backup in Manjaro for your entire system by just installing a 1TB or 2TB SSD into the second slot and cloning.

Once that’s done though I want to upgrade the 500 GB SSD I have currently to another 1-2TB SSD and have it so I have 1 SSD for my Windows boot and another SSD for Manjaro. Are there any guides on how to do this or are there special considerations I should keep in mind for this?

How are you currently booting each OS? Is this via EFI selection or GRUB?

… What I’d do is clone the partitions for Manjaro to the new SSD, expanding as needed, set up GRUB to boot the installation and then expand the Windows partition(s) to fill the freed space on that drive.

The following guide is intended for a new multiboot installation using separate disks – with Windows on one disk, and Manjaro on the other. However, you will likely still glean something useful from it:

This may also be helpful:

Cheers.

Edit:- Realizing that you’re currently using only one disk, it might be beneficial to clone it – treating it as your windows disk – which I presume it was originally, and perform a fresh install on a new disk for Manjaro.

From that point, it may be easier just to copy your existing /home content to the new /home after install. I’d suggest creating a new /home partition for the purpose (choose the Manual Partitioning method during install).

2 Likes

currently booting with GRUB

That second link may be particularly helpful, and easier than the way I’ve done it the past couple of times … using a combination of KDE Partition Manager’s clone ability and manual transfer for what it couldn’t handle, plus re-configuring GRUB.

In any case, the EFI will need to point to whichever disk has the controlling GRUB bootloader on it.

Be careful if you are using btrfs, you may have a problem with cloning (specially if you don’t want to lose your data):

Run:

lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT

before, only to be sure.

1 Like

there is i think a bad backport from series 6.x
see this

1 Like

Currently kernels with patches is in testing branch.

1 Like