Manjaro not detecting WiFi adaptor Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)

Hi,

I need help to get my WiFi working in Manjaro

uname -a                                                                                       1 ✘ 
Linux WFH 5.15.74-3-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 15 13:39:11 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsmod | grep iwlwifi                                                                             ✔ 
iwlwifi               454656  0
cfg80211             1081344  1 iwlwifi

lspci -k | grep -i netw                                                                          ✔ 
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Rivet Networks Device 1692

sudo dmesg | grep iwlwifi                                                                        ✔ 
[    4.191618] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    4.193256] iwlwifi: No config found for PCI dev 51f0/1692, rev=0x370, rfid=0x3010d000
[    4.193265] iwlwifi: probe of 0000:00:14.3 failed with error -22

inxi -Fazy   

Network:
  Device-1: Intel Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi vendor: Rivet Networks
    driver: N/A modules: iwlwifi bus-ID: 00:14.3 chip-ID: 8086:51f0
    class-ID: 0280
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE vendor: Razer USA driver: r8169 v: kernel
    pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 3000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
    chip-ID: 10ec:8125 class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: enp0s13f0u3u1i5 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: half
    mac: <filter>

rfkill list                                                                                    1 ✘ 
0: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

I serached google a lot and tried installing linux-firmware, trying various kernels and other tricks; but nothing worked.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

is fast boot (or something similar) disabled in bios - you may not have this option;
is fast startup disabled in windows;
and check a keyboard shortcut/or hardware switch for the wifi

fastboot wa enabled in both BIOS and windows.
Disabling it in both of those did not make any difference.

and this:

run this:
sudo modprobe iwlwifi
and see if it helped

nothing hzppens or displayed

~/Desktop  sudo modprobe iwlwifi                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
 ~/Desktop                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Any idea what following error means and how to resolve this:

   ~/Desktop  sudo dmesg | grep iwlwifi                                                                                                                                                                                                              ✔ 
[    4.029591] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    4.031401] iwlwifi: No config found for PCI dev 51f0/1692, rev=0x370, rfid=0x3010d000
[    4.031413] iwlwifi: probe of 0000:00:14.3 failed with error -22

try:

sudo modprobe wl

please open the package-manager, enable downloads from aur and install the package “iwlwifi-next”. it should contain the necessary files.
reboot and check.

~/Desktop  sudo modprobe wl                                                                          1 ✘  4m 54s  
modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.74-3-MANJARO

Build failed while installing iwlwifi-next

/home/nkv/.cache/yay/iwlwifi-next/src/iwlwifi-next/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/tx.c:1968:70: error: ‘struct ieee80211_bss_conf’ has no member named ‘chanctx_conf’
 1968 |                                 rcu_dereference(mvmsta->vif->bss_conf.chanctx_conf);
      |                                                                      ^
./include/linux/rcupdate.h:392:19: note: in definition of macro ‘__rcu_dereference_check’
  392 |         ((typeof(*p) __force __kernel *)(________p1)); \
      |                   ^
./include/linux/rcupdate.h:596:28: note: in expansion of macro ‘rcu_dereference_check’
  596 | #define rcu_dereference(p) rcu_dereference_check(p, 0)
      |                            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/nkv/.cache/yay/iwlwifi-next/src/iwlwifi-next/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/tx.c:1968:33: note: in expansion of macro ‘rcu_dereference’
 1968 |                                 rcu_dereference(mvmsta->vif->bss_conf.chanctx_conf);
      |                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:289: /home/nkv/.cache/yay/iwlwifi-next/src/iwlwifi-next/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/tx.o] Error 1
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:289: /home/nkv/.cache/yay/iwlwifi-next/src/iwlwifi-next/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/rxmq.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:552: /home/nkv/.cache/yay/iwlwifi-next/src/iwlwifi-next/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:1898: /home/nkv/.cache/yay/iwlwifi-next/src/iwlwifi-next/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.15.74-3-MANJARO/build'
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
 -> error making: iwlwifi-next

should result in this:

so did you checked if the wifi is working after running the modprobe command?
and post output from:
inxi -N
after you run the modprobe command

No, wifi isn’t working. I think the drivers needs to be installed for Intel Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi driver - which I am not able to find.

   ~/Desktop  inxi -N                                                                                                                                                                                                                              1 ✘ 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi driver: N/A
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169

switch to the 6.0 kernel - not the rc one - and check again with:
inxi -N

the drivers for your wifi are in kernel: iwlwifi, and they are being loaded, but there is something with the hardware, probably related to windows/bios

Thanks, I checked BIOS and windows. I cannot see anything that might be interfering with wifi. Wifi works fine in Windows.

I tried kernel 6.0.2-2, but that does not even load, get stuck with a blinking cursor.

Checked with Linux Mint live boot usb, the same problem there as well. No WiFi :frowning:

if mod-probe failed, which could mean the lack of support in kernel 5.15. a google search did find this result;

it seems fixed with kernel 5.17. since 5.17 is EOL now, recommend you using atleast 5.19 (since 6.0.x is not working for you)

do you have nvidia?

go to windows and disable hibernate and fast startup, and disable the wifi from device manager, shut down your pc - dont reboot, and check again the wifi in manjaro…

Yes, I have nvidia.

Funny thing is that wifi works good when I install Manjaro on a USB and boot from it. But, wifi does not work when I install Manjaro on SSD diskdrive and boot from there!
Kernel 5.19 works and no other kernel gets the wifi working at all