Manjaro lagging

Hello, Manjaro is extremely lagging when opening multiple programs and I would have to restart my pc, Programs like Chrome with multiple tabs (It happens with Firefox too), vs code and terminal
is there any painless solution?

Hi, we miss a little information here. What kind of programs? And how much in the same time?
Is it everytime or just with a combination of RAM-hungry programs?

1 Like

Programs like Chrome with multiple tabs (It happens with Firefox too), vs code and terminal
Itā€™s every time

1 Like

That sounds like you have low ram quantity but high ram usage.

EDIT: provide your information before anything. the inxi command in the link above is the minimum to see what hardware you use.

anyway to reduce the ram usage ?

Any way you could provide the people wanting to help you with the information they request from you about your system? :roll_eyes:

Sorry,
these are my system specs:
Core I7 4500U
Ram 4
Kingston SSD 240GB + HDD 320
AMD Radeon HD 8500

Chrome and Firefox are notorious heavyweights. Iā€™m afraid thereā€™s little you can do to diminish their memory footprint. :man_shrugging:

However, you could install more RAM. With 8 GiB of RAM, youā€™ll already have a lot more headroom than with 4 GiB.

If you cannot get any new RAM modules for your system, then you could check on eBay for compatible modules ā”€ the documentation of the motherboard should tell you which modules are compatible.

More info would helpā€¦ pls read the link above posted by @Aragorn

a simple swapfile or swap partiton might help your problem . people need more info to help you .

1 Like

If you have low RAM (4G is considered low nowadays for a system), the only thing you can do for web browsers is to have only one tab. Multi tabbing in browsers will eat your RAM a lot.

Monitor your programs RAM usage with a tool like htop, sort the list with RAM usage (F6 key to sort) you will see

That way you see if your RAM is full (and causing ā€˜lagsā€™, and which programs eat it all or a lot.

1 Like