Manjaro is awesome, but I went back to Windows. This is a Thank you!

Hello,

I didn’t know where to post this, again. But since I used KDE, I will post this here.

I used Manjaro for 3 days. It wasn’t easy.

What I want to say is that I loved it! It’s absolutely amazing. And when I went back to Windows, I was actually a tiny bit sad for the whole day. This isn’t an exaggeration.

Manjaro is so much better than Windows. And when I installed Windows 11 after leaving Manjaro, I hated it so much because there were even more features missing than Windows 10.

However, I searched and tried to use my Stream Deck on Manjaro, but I couldn’t find a way. Some users have offered solutions for my other hardware, but I honestly didn’t try them out because if Stream Deck didn’t work, I had to revert to Windows.

I really hope to use Manjaro again one day, and soon. This is an awesome operating system, please don’t let it fall behind like the vast majority of OS.

Thank you for making this. See you soon.

1 Like

Well you could always dual boot & have both. :v:

Actually, I’m thinking of using Manjaro as virtual machine. Do you know if it’s possible for a hardware input from a parent OS to affect a software in VM?

I’m asking this because I constantly use my hardware. Dual boot won’t work for me.

Good luck with windows again.

… but what exacly can you do with your Steam Deck at first on a other pc and at second on windows better than an linux? I have no idea what you mean!

Hey Kisun,

Firstly… No, Windows is not better than Linux, at least not better than Manjaro. But it is more compatible with hardware. In my opinion, Manjaro is much better than Windows, but hardware is not compatible.

Secondly… I’m not talking about Steam Deck. I’m talking about StReam Deck. It’s a piece of hardware that has buttons on it in the form of small displays. I do everything with it: open applications, interact with applications, manage files and system controls… etc.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/streamdeck

1 Like

I came across this while searching for a solution. The problem is that it only provides 10 pages, and I definitely use much more than 10. And other functionality is limited as well.

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Ok, my fault! I miss the “r”! :grinning:

Depending on what you want to do, and how powerful is your PC, there are many options.
My favorite is to have Manjaro as my primary OS and then a KVM with Windows only for the few things I cannot do in Manjaro like certain games, firmware updates, etc.

I found that the best option, cause Windows have minimal personal information possible (just my email for Steam/Origin/Epic/Ubi) and I don’t use them for browsing, email, work, etc therefore minimize the impact of their spyware.

If you have a relative good PC, modern CPU, 16MB+ memory, and ideally iGPU with a PCIe VGA (or a minimal VGA if no iGPU is present), you can setup a KVM with ~95% the performance of bare-bone Windows.

When I was introduced to Manjaro few years back, it was the only distro that convinced me Linux is mature enough to make it primary, but like you, I wanted things that still not perfect or not available. So I ended up with the above setup and never looked back.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I’m thinking of something just like what you said.

Hey take it easy. I think you can keep Manjaro (or whatever distro) somewhere, in a dual boot, in another device, or even just a VPS, and visit it frequently. No need to make linux daily driver at first, but keep it near your reach. When you feel comfortable with linux, make it your daily driver and eventually drop Windows. It took me a few years to finally drop the Windows partition, even when I didn’t login to Windows for months. When I login to Windows, that’s for games or rufus (to make linux USB boot :joy:).

Good idea. My laptop doesn’t have a lot of hardware. I can use Manjaro there. Thanks.

You can´t learn Linux in 3 days.
I would install both Linux and Windows on your computer.

You are right. But my issue wasn’t learning Linux. It was that my hardware wouldn’t work in Linux.

Can you post some hardware info: inxi -Fza on console ?

that said any further comment is off topic.

I wish I could. This would’ve been important to me. But I already formatted my drive. I don’t have Manjaro anymore. Is there a way to do this on Windows?

How is that relevant? The issue wasn’t learning Linux in the first place.

Linux. As an operating system it consists of many parts, which depending on your focus can be either highly relevant or completely irrelevant altogether. If you expect things to work out of the box, then this is dependent on your hardware and with so many combinations out there, it can be hit and miss. I’ve had the same even on Windows when I was using it 10+ years ago. True, there won’t be a perfect set up and things won’t be right the first time round, hence using Linux requires a commitment and a belief in the mission that Linux aims to provide; just as your belief in Windows continues to fulfil what you seek: have everything work out of the box.

Regarding the Steam deck, I am surprised you are experiencing issues on it as I thought there would be better support. Isn’t Steam deck using Manjaro after all? It would be helpful to know what the issues are. As you are still a guest in Linux, we would like to make you feel at home and to remind you that Linux is just as committing in time as it is on Windows. There are plenty of resources to help you on your way, but you made a brave decision to step into unknown waters, so I’d encourage you to keep doing that.

1 Like

In another comment @manjar_newbie said Stream Deck not Steam Deck.

1 Like