manjaro i3 - adding another keyboard layout

Hello. i've been testing manjaro i3 and while it's really cool, i have a big issue with it. i cant seems to find a way to add another non-english keyboard layout.

here for example, it's kinda unclear how to change to a layout which is not an english one, as they layouts on the keyboard config files are just for "countries" such as us, uk, etc. How can i add a completely new language though?

You have to add, as explained here, that entry in the i3 config.

1 Like

i tried that, problem is that i'm not even sure what two letters i should use for the language i want to add lol. i tried the obvious choices (hebrew = he, or il) but those two don't work either..

For Hebrew is il.
You have to know the keyboard model and also what variant (in case is special) you need to use.
See the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
and look for the XkbModel line ... it should be pc104 or pc105 or something else. That means the line in i3 config will be

exec --no-startup-id "setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us,il -option grp:alt_shift_toggle"

if is pc105 or something else, then you replace the pc104
It works only after restarting i3.

1 Like

Thank you, that worked great. no idea why it didn't worked for me last time, i had very similar line.
At least i'm saving up 400mb of ram by using i3 :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by