Manjaro hanging after latest update

Ok, so wait for the timeout…
You dont have to create it. In live usb go to your home folder from the installation and rename the following folders:
.config and .cache
to:
.config.bak and .cache.bak
Reboot and see if it helped…

Before I saw this message, i managed to go into the main system and using the gui I created the new test user. It works! I am no longer on the live usb.

I will now go back to the live usb and rename those folders as you instructed.

No, you dont have to go back to the live usb, you can do it in your system. Just open the file explorer, locate the folders and rename them…

Renaming those folders redid my desktop entirely, with a completely other look. I still couldn’t open the browser and it still got frozen, however.

I need to tell you that I have one hour before the next national power outage. Unfortunately in my country the grid is impacted. I mention this because I am on a PC connected to mains and it will simply cut out in an hour.

Brahma, thank you for everything you are doing to help. Really brilliant and much appreciated!

I will come back tomorrow and ask for further help on this problem. Thanks again!

so if the main user still doesnt work properly after the folders were renamed, theres something else messed up in your main user home directory, and i have no idea what, or where to look for it… so i suggests you to use the new user, where everything works… and create the new user as a administrator, then copy the firefox folder (and other folders that you could use, so that you dont have to set them up again) from the messed up user to the new user…

Wondering if I did a clean reinstall through live usb and erased disk, would there be any risks? Currently I can’t do things, can’t even run Timeshift without it freezing. Maybe if everything is removed and redone, it will be fine again?

The only thing is it is SSD and I heard you shouldn’t erase disk on SSD.

Also, could you take me through running something like fsck on /home to find what is corrupted?

I tried to delete the unwanted posts now but am still locked out from using the trash icon.

You have heard wrong. Of course you can erase SSD.

If you don’t have anything super hard to setup on your install, most often it is just easier to reinstall instead of troubleshoot. Reinstall typically takes 10 minutes and any configuration on top of that easily comes to less time than already spent in this topic.

This is an issue with arch based distros currently, there should be found some solution, the best one i have seen is with suse where the rollback is done at the boot menu.

why do you want to reinstall?
you told me that on a newly created test user everything works, so i suggested to use that and copy some program folders from the broken user (like firefox etc…) into the new one, so that you dont have to set up your programs again…
also i told you that you can revert via timeshift from the new test user, and see if it helps…
reinstall doesnt take long, but you have to set up everything again, install all programs again… so i dont see a reason to do a fresh install since you can timeshift back, or use new user, where everything works…

I don’t know where you heard that, but consider this:

Every time you delete something, it erases something on the disk. So according to that, you should never delete, erases, something.

Also, when Windows or Manjaro, so Linux, is installed originally the drive has to be formatted, erased to put something on it again.

1 Like

Renaming those folders redid my desktop entirely, with a completely other look. I still couldn’t open the browser and it still got frozen, however.

It does not seem that those user account changes did any good, did you miss this reply of his?

Personally, I’d recommend making a backup of everything and just reinstall everything.

The most important thing is to make a backup before doing anything.

Hi varikonniemi and Mirdarthos,

Thanks. I must have heard wrong about SSD. As Mirdathos points out, I did have to erase disk to install Manjaro from Windows, but I was under the impression i shouldn’t do that too often. Now I know better!

that reply is from after i told him to rename the folders in his main broken user, since he previously states that creating a new test user worked:

but renaming the folders unfortunately didnt worked in his broken main user, so i recomended:

Hi brahma,

Your advice is excellent as always but today the test user started having the same issues of freezing, mouse, doing odd things. Something somewhere is really haywire in the system.

I just wouldn’t want whatever it is to interfere with the reinstall process. I mean if timeshift doesn’t work, maybe the reinstall would fail halfway leaving me with no system. Is that a risk?

you can test out manjaro using the live usb, if that works then you have no reason to expect the install fails.

The way he wrote it i assumed that it did not really bring a fix to the core issue, just to what he was doing right then. Now as of latest reply we can conclude it was like this.