Manjaro Gnome 21.3 kernel 515 Live usb successfully booted, but won't start after "[ok]: started gnome display manager."

Hi there, mate. so sorry for my late reply, i’ve managed to try installing using kde version, same problem occurred. Not yet try it with LM.

btw, as I stated above, my gpu is geforce g105m, which is an old GPU. Checked at the nvidia driver website, and the last supported driver for my GPU is in 340xx version (2019). Got back to the manjaro gnome installation, fast forward and access tty2, under su and typed pacman -Qs nvidia and then result showed the driver 340xx is not listed. Is that useful in some way to troubleshoot the issue i’m having ?

so it didnt work with kde?
i dont think its related to nvidia, since you cant even boot with open source drivers…
and yes the latest available drivers in manjaro for nvidia cards are the 390xx
the 340 are available in the aur, but first you need to boot into the live usb …
do you have integrated gpu? or nvidia is the only one gpu? if yes then youll have problems installing manjaro because of the mentioned lack of drivers for that card in manjaro

How much memory does the system have?

nvidia is the only one GPU in my laptop.

can I install it manually from scraps through tty after the gdm failed to start and hangs in the blank screen ?
the point is to make the manjaro up and running first at my laptop, and maybe later i’ll try to find a way to build up my desktop using gnome and manually install the 340xx nvidia driver for my geforce g105m

found someone whom have the same problem as mine (outdated gpu), posted the problem in this forum (2021), that person end up cannot find any solution to it and instead changed the outdated gpu with a newer one.

what system ? my laptop ? 4GB of RAM, and 512M in gpu

and how do you want to install manjaro if you cant boot into the live usb session because manjaro doesnt have the drivers for your gpu?
i think its possible to install manjaro using command line, then you could install the 340xx drivers from aur… but i dont know how to install manjaro using the command line…
try installing arch linux instead of manjaro for example

Yup, guess i can’t. Guess the instant installation is just not that instant for those whom have outdated gpu.

Found a step by step manjaro installation using tty/cli by some good fella posted in this forum while back in the 2020, i’m in the middle of doing it rn. Hoping all gonna goes smooth, at the brighter side, i can really use these steps as my first learning method to getting familiar with linux realm/manjaro.
After the manjaro up and running in my laptop, gonna continue with installing the 340xx driver from aur as you said, and choosing gnome DE.

I’m thinking tho, it might be a good tutorials if someone/gurus created a step by step building manjaro environment available for those whom have an outdated gpu as mine, working smoothly in outdated laptop/pc is one of many reason ppl trying to move to linux, manjaro in this case.

so also check what exact packages you need with the 340xx drivers, probably these:
nvidia-340xx-utils
nvidia-340xx
lib32-nvidia-340xx-utils
nvidia-340xx-settings

I simply have to use the pacman command for the driver, right ? All the dependencies for the 340xx driver will be updated automatically ?

after you installed manjaro, install these, that should be enough:

pamac build nvidia-340xx-utils nvidia-340xx lib32-nvidia-340xx-utils nvidia-340xx-settings

reboot

The reason I asked is Gnome uses a lot of memory and the specs you cgave pointed to an older system. I just wanted to make sure you had more than 2GB. 4GB will be slightly less than baseline for Gnome. Gnome and KDE use the most system memory. Its going to leave you with a little over 3GB for applications. A modern browser with 3 to 5 tabs open will eat that up. If you have a good sized swap file the system will work, but swapping memory between ram and the hard disk will impact performance, the system will be sluggish.
You can install the lighter-gnome package to not start some memory hogs with the system. They will start if needed, but only then. After testing you may find that the system is to slow for you. You might want to look into removing the Gnome install and installing Manjaro with LXQt, Mate, or Xfce. LXQt being the lightest memory footprint.

Still in the middle of installing the manjaro hahaha gonna try it out what you said after it

Wow, I never thought about it before, all I know is the gnome version is the most ram grabbing system of all other edition. But I guess it will never be too big like win10 right ?

I can revert back (uninstall) the gnome if I want to, right ? And maybe after that, gonna try the Xfce if I find the gnome really laggy.

Yes, its likely less, but likely not by much. The problem isnt just the Gnome desktop itself. Its applications also use a lot of memory. I know from experience that older systems have problems running it since I have very old hardware (FX4300, 560ti, 6gb DDR3), and it doesnt run very well.
Xfce should run ok. While I dont normally link to the spins I create, Manjaro doesnt have a LXQt install iso. You may want to give mine a try if you find you need a desktop and applications that sip memory.

Hi dipax. Thanks for this thread, you know why? Because i have an identical laptop and have EXACTLY THE SAME issues trying to run live manjaro system.

Main (maybe the only?) issue is indeed the graphic card.

Long ago, when manjaro officially supported nvidia driver 340xx and manjaro architect was also free of issues (what can’t be said about nowadays architect :frowning: ), i was able to install perfect manjaro system:

1. Run architect.
  2. Install kernel 4.14 LTS - the latest kernel that works with 340xx driver, kernels after this one didn’t boot for example.
  3. Install nvidia 340xx driver.
  4. Install plasma desktop.

And this worked like a charm. Pity i had to format my disk :confused:

Now, when support for these old drivers has been dropped, making manjaro (and generally almost every new distro) run on such old laptops with nvidia can be really hard.

Maybe it may work with open source driver, but too new kernel is possibly the reason for fail? I know that it should theoretically work, but it just doesn’t.

I am too nooby to deal with it by myself. I will try, but I know it won’t be easy. If someone more advanced might help… I would be grateful. This laptop may be a monster for 2D emulation and many dosbox games, but now i am “forced” to use windows, which works here out of the box.

well, i guess imma give yours a try, cause at this point i am so close to giving up to intall the manjaro gnome hahaha thanks anyway

hi there, follow ancient laptop owner hahaha cheers

the problem seems to occur not only in manjaro, i tried to run ubuntu live a year ago. and this exact problem happened. i guess our gpu is the main culprit here, as i said, ancient hahaha

whaaat ? you managed to install architect ? how come ?
pleaseee enlighten me, mate. i’m begging you :pleading_face: :pray:
i already tried the “installing manjaro using CLI” method, failed.
“via several live boot”, failed (was aiming the kernel 515 and 54)
“building from scratch via architect”. failed attempt (i don’t even manage to make it up and running).

as for the kernel, i ever read someone posted here about the 340xx-dkms driver which is supported by the kernel 5.4, and kernel 5.4 is good enough as (what i knew) is still supported by the manjaro until now.

btw, you called your self a nooby ? i even more more way nooby bcs i can’t even make architect up and running at my laptop, and you in the other side was successfully doing that :clap:

linux54 and linux419 are still in the stable repositories and can be installed once your up and running.

Yup, so i’ve read. But the 340xx dkms (checked on the geforce driver website, geforce g105m supported by the 340.108 driver) is the driver that aimed to use.
It is said that the 340xx dkms to support kernel 5.4 - 5-10 and 4.4 - 4.19. Tried with the manjaro 18 kernel 5.4 that came with the 340xx driver, but no luck for me.
Gonna try the manjaro kernel 4.19 iso later. Rn all i need is a good sleep after the sleepless hour.

Yes, old nvidia + new linux = pain. A lot of pain.

Man, i wish i could help! However, as i said, it was more than two years ago, when support for old drivers had been provided and when architect had been stable. Architect now has serious issues that make it impossible to run and install system, something with pacman keys etc., generally it ‘hangs’ early.

Look at this thread: Architect iso install story

I will try to do that, but i don’t know if i will succeed :smiley:

And i definitely recommend kernel 4.14 if you must try, not newer. EDIT: ah, i see that this kernel has been dropped too. Ok, then maybe 4.19 i will try.