Manjaro freezes before even getting to the login screen after installing Optimus and restarting for high performance mode

So, I know the “I installed nvidia drivers and then the computer randomly freezes” is a somewhat common problem that can be solved by uninstalling the drivers. However, how can I do this if even TTY freezes?

I boot, get to the point where I’m close to logging in, but the computer freezes. Next boot, I open TTY to undo my changes, but the computer freezes very quickly, before I even run a single line of code after logging in via TTY.

Is there a way to undo my changes, remove NVidia drivers or something like this if I can’t even run a single line without the computer freezing and crashing after a while?

Also, is this a problem with NVidia not being able to run without breaking my computer? I did have problems with getting it to run when I played games, the computer only used the Intel GPU like 100% of the time, which is why I got Optimus. Can’t NVidia like, just, run?

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

You could try to start from a live-media, chroot into your system, and then change the drivers with mhwd on tty