Manjaro Forum Desktop app

Well that can depend on the person and if they wanted it or not but what if it was already installed by default

If I give the real reason, I’m afraid it’ll reflect negatively on my Manjaro-cred. Suffice it to say I’m not into repeating myself.

:woman_facepalming:

/signing out of this thread…
:vulcan_salute:

Well if you don’t give a real reason than you can’t give a real reason to be against the idea, you guys talk about needing to do “extra functionality” but failed to even give a example @Mirdarthos @TriMoon

I still haven’t need shown how it is bloated either, just saying and I am not trying to be rude here

We already gave you plenty, but you are stuborn to not want to accept them.
Plus pinging us by mentioning us, earned you an “ignore” on my side to prevent further attention grabbing from me.
:vulcan_salute:

That’s because no extra functionalty is needed.

I’ve made my point about bloated/uneccsarily big at least twice before. Even your own screenshot proved my point.

Basically, if you install an electron app, you use roughly 250MB that you didn’t need to. Plus CPU. Plus RAM.

You gave “plenty” of misinformation I debunked, look I am not trying to be rude here but you can’t get upset if you say things you think are true than be debunked.

1. you guys mentioned Electron being bloated in ram resources, I debunked it by explaining how my software is made and showed ram usage on multiple apps which were lighter than Firefox with 1 tab

2. you guys mentioned file size and I debunked that with how my software runs and isn’t compiled meaning it’s not multiple full compiled desktop apps.

You didn’t make your point because I proved it wasn’t bloated with the screenshots of the usage and explained that it was only using 2% because it’s actually in usewhile Firefox is sitting there minimised and idle.

Nope it is only 250mb’s once not per app, they all share the one libelectron dependancy

And this is my Firefox, with multiple tabs open:

https://i.imgur.com/Kl01Bq7.png

Again: that’s for multiple tabs, actively being used. While your electron was 2%, also used, but for one website. Again, one website.

Well, that’s better admittedly, but it’s still 250 odd megabytes that’s totally unnecessary.

Edit:

I’m also out.

You are getting confused, that was 2% cpu not ram.

Not when it’s 5+ apps installed, that isn’t unnecessary bloate if the apps are a few kbs in size and the one dependency it shares is 250mb only once and not per app. Firefox itself is 251.2 mbs and Chromium is 290.7mbs not saying that is big or anything.

I’m not confused, I know it’s CPU.

And for people, like me for example, that don’t use a lot, or any electron apps, it is still big. And yes, it is bloated. The very definition of bloatware is unused “features” and electron being chrome/chromium based, which is a browser made for multiple tabs/processes, being used for 1 thing it’s the exact definition of bloat.

But, I am wrong, sorry.

ok than if that is the case than what “example” of 2% usage are you making if for example the application is rendering something or doing something in general which would be no different to a tab or more doing something and using the cpu?

that would be the definition if it had any relevance the conversation or if you could show where there is "bloat " but since it’s only the core apps of what is actually needed and not “unused features” like you claim the definition wouldn’t apply here, unless you can show me a example.

Again the fact remains that multiple apps running as separate electron applications is lighter than a Firefox instance with one tab with Firefox being above them in ram usage.

OK, this is my last reply here, I’m not into repeating myself.

The might use less resources, nut it’s only for one single thing, without the possibility of doing anything else. It’s based on chrome/chromium, which is known to be one of the worst resource-intensive browsers. It’s a browser when all is said and done, and it uses the website. Which is something that can already be done with all the tools available.

It’s a browser so of course there are features that won’t be used. Do you use ALL Firefox’s features when browsing the forum? And I do mean all. Not only all the common ones.

And, as you yourself said, the code is not compiled, which means it’s interpreted. Which isn’t native. And that makes it more resource intensive than a native, compiled app.

No, 2% might not be a lot, but I never said it was, nor was it said here. I am saying it’s unnecessary though.Especially since you want to make it so that it’s the same thing as the website.

But go ahead. If I’m wrong I apologize. I’m not a Manjaro Team member, I can’t say whether it’s a good idea, whether it’ll be used or not. I can only give the facts as I see them.

In your screenshot, the electron applications use 523MB, Firefox 378MB.

The problem is, that the two electron applications need their own each JavaScript engine (chromium) where Firefox uses one.

Your acting like it always runs at 2% or more usage when in reality it doesn’t, all software are going to use some sort of CPU usage when needed so again why is this an argument? I took a screenshot just as it used 2%

Sure it’s based on chromium but the fact reaminas that it wasn’t using the most resources

Ok features like?

My apps themselves aren’t compiled it doesn’t mean it’s not native, it’s still running from a natively compiled electron web engine itself which is compiled for x64, arm7l and arm64 also the fact still remains that both of them as two seperate applications are using less resources.

There were no facts as you see them, your just stating incorrect information and basing them as facts. There are bad examples of electron being used like Discord as a good example which give electron a bad look but when you actually use it correctly and don’t bloat it up like the lazy discord team did and do a bad job of course it’s going to make it look bloated and bad but my software on the other hand isn’t in this case.

I feel like I’m the one having to repeat myself because people don’t understand how electron works than spout incorrect information on how they think it works whenever anyone mentions it…

Why are you adding them together like they are one process? They are two totally separate desktop applications…

Firefox was still on the top with the most resources compared to both my seperate desktop apps.

Yeah they are two seperate applications using the web engine yet they are both using less ram than Firefox is.

Won’t implement.

That’s up to you.

Make sure the package you want to upload is useful. Will anyone else want to use this package? Is it extremely specialized? If more than a few people would find this package useful, it is appropriate for submission.

– AUR submission guidelines - ArchWiki

Back to the topic here

I made a desktop application and I want to see if any Manjaro devs are interested in integrating it into their systems.

Thank you for the kind reply

I already have quite a few desktop apps I have made and maintain on the AUR so I wanted to see if anyone on the team was interested but maybe if users are interested I can certainly upload it to the AUR and my gitlab repo

I’m sorry for the rude people who needed to devolve this conversation into a argument, I was only here to talk to the development team here on Manjaro

That’s enough arguing.