Manjaro does not boot after update - emergency shell

Sure, these are the results:

(standard) ~ >>> sudo mhwd-kernel -li                                          
Currently running: 5.10.2-2-MANJARO (linux510)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux54
(standard) ~ >>> sudo ls /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset                            
/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset  /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux54.preset

By the way, I just copy-paste from your post. I have no idea what does this mean, and how to boot using a kernel of specified choice:

then

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux510 
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510

it was log from one day before in your link gofile ( error on modules on 5.10 )

If I understand correctly, this reinstalls 5.10 kernel. If you donā€™t mind, can you please explain why are you suggesting so? I just recovered my laptop, so donā€™t want to take risk. I hope you understand.

But while I ran the solution, hasnā€™t it done the same thing?

And seeing the post below by @moson, Iā€™m more confused now, as the output does say so.

? @yarnabrina is running on 5.10 already, no? :man_shrugging:

Hello. I seem to have the same problem - get the same message at boot. But the computer didnā€™t see usb drives. Iā€™ve tried changing BIOS settings, using other USB slots, nothing seemed to help. So I removed the SSD, and then the USB was detected and the live system started. I followed the steps described here and the kernel was updated, the updates checked (nothing needed to be changed), but when I executed sudo update-grub, I got some errors:
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your device.map.
(I canā€™t include the screenshot)
After rebooting, I no longer get the message, but Iā€™m greeted with a blank screen - the system wonā€™t load.

A post was split to a new topic: Display has issues

Hey i faced same problem. My system is dell inspiron 15 with Nvidia gtx 1050 graphic card and i have dual booted with windows 10. After latest update my system broke suddenly.
Tried the steps mentioned in the solution posted by OP but when booting live usb I selected non free drivers, so I got some error when following the solution steps pls see the screenshot. I clicked on yes on all options and decided to proceed. Can someone help me understand the reason for this Iā€™m new to Linux and would want to know how itā€™s working.

Sceenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KvTfJ6zTzD49dQh06OkZPkvfDZ3pI_cj/view?usp=drivesdk

As of writing this the system is installing lots of packages, will let you updated if Iā€™m able to boot in after continuing with the solution steps.

EDIT: I was not able to fix the problem, so i decided to boot into live usb again this time with free drivers set instead of non free and I also realized that during my last attempt, I had opened up a new terminal after executing sudo manjaro-chroot -a, thus I think this might be the reason for the solution not working. this time I remained in same terminal and continued with sudo pacman -Syyu and other command. Now I booted into my OS, but I did not recall getting grub menu option to select windows or manjaro and also nvidia drivers are not installed atm, so should I auto install properiatery drivers from system settings?

So my problems are:

1. Not able to see the grub menu so that I can select windows or manjaro
  2. nvidia module are not installed? please refer the attachment. I use optimus manager and mostly select it to use my GPU, and it had been using my GPU (hybrid mode I guess) before the update but now after the update it is in Intel mode only, when I try to switch, I get this warning.

imgur-2021_01_05-22:19:41

I had the exact same isssue, but I had some older kernels installed. I was able to resolve the issue by booting an older kernel in the boot menu, which worked in my case. I didnā€™t need to to any chrooting and running:

pacman -Syyu
pacman -S linux510

Did the trick. I guess it was a good thing I had those kernels still lying aroundā€¦

Always use MHWD to install / uninstall kernels:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510

Or use the GUI from Manjaro Settings Manager > Kernels

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.