Manjaro ARM Beta5 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Manjaro ARM Beta5 of Phosh for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our fifth BETA release for the PinePhone running Phosh!

This image is running the 5.10 kernel from Megi, which is designed for the PinePhone.

Features:

• Firefox uses a dedicated configuration and plays videos on Youtube pretty well
  • Camera app with access to back and front camera, including autofocus
  • Auto-Rotate function we had to remove
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • We have now a working Torch in the quick-access-menu
  • Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions are given
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Maps with working GPS
  • Volume buttons working
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-stable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
  • usage of callaudiod for better audio experience with calls
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot

Changes since Beta4

• Kernel got updated to 5.10.7
  • we lowered the default DRAM speed back to 552
  • Phosh is at 0.7.1 including readded autorotate
  • Systemd got renewed to 247.2
  • we re-added Anbox
  • icu is now at 68.2, Mesa at 20.3.3, calls at 0.2.0, phoc at 0.6.0, gtk3-mobile at 3.24.24 and pipewire at 0.3.19
  • several updates to Gnome 3.38.3, Gstreamer and Pulseaudio
  • Firefox got updated to 84.0.2
  • pinephone-modem-scripts have now GPS enabled
  • update of Megapixels to 0.14.0

A detailed list of package changes can be found here.

Currently broken:

• Mic-Mute function in calls not working

Known issues

• Megapixels might not show your back camera unless you had switched cameras once
  • it may take longer to wake up from deep-sleep mode when a call is incoming. Most of the time that call will vibrate only.
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Lots of apps are still missing or are not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PinePhone Beta5
PinePhone Nightly

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

Order

You can now order the Mobian CE Edition and the Mobian CE Convergence Package of the Pinephone! 10 $ per sale will go to the Mobian Project. Last chance to get a community edition of the Pinephone …

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

5 Likes

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

Development Changelog

We will list our progress to Beta6 here

• Beta5 (2021-01-21) Download
    • based on stable branch
  • Dev (2021-01-21) Download
    • based on unstable branch
    • callaudiod 0.0.5 will allow user to pass arbitraty data to async functions
    • calls got patched to support new callaudiod
    • chatty got many fixes
    • Kernel got updated to 5.10.9
    • Phosh is now at 0.8.0
    • pipewire got renewed to 0.3.20
    • squeekboard got a new release: 1.12.0
  • Dev (2021-01-31) Download
    • based on unstable branch
    • Kernel got updated to 5.10.12
    • we are using now eg25-manager in combination with modemmanager to manage the modem
    • Mesa is now at 20.3.4
    • callaudiod got updated to 0.1.0
    • firefox is now at 85.0-1
    • regular upstream updates
1 Like

I just flashed the Dev Jan. 21 image to my pinephone PostmarketOS CE device. It looks and feels great. I read that anbox got added again, but I’m not seeing it. Also, the banner at the top for featured applications in the Software Center isn’t there. However, the images for individual applications are present after tapping on a category. Keep up the good work!

@philm thank you guys so much for the update!

I have upgraded yesterday to beta5, let’s see how it’s doing :slight_smile:

Just trying this out now, so far so good

One issue I have found though, and this was in the previous beta too, is that there’s no audio in Anbox

Where did you find anbox? When I flashed it I didn’t see it included.

WIFI doesnt work. Theres no way to setup or configure wifi with this build.

anbox is included in this beta…

Thanks for the update, gibbz. I suppose I need to get the stable download instead of the Dev build. I will try that next.

I always configure WIFI as part of my tests. On my end it works.

Since 5.10 kernel the phone does not seem to wake up from deep sleep to answer calls. I have not tested after today’s update.

Is the issue known, is there something that needs to be done besides waiting for a update?

I have previously installed another build. If I do the software updates, does it update to this new version? Is there a way to see which version (like Beta 5) I’m running?

I figure the “betaX”-Versions are just small Milestones in the development process.
When you upgrade your system, you should be at the same status these builds are.
It’s possible that you end up with different apps when you just upgrade all the time (instead of flashing a new version directly). This happened to me with Nemo and Portfolio: at some point Nemo was dropped for Portfolio, but somehow my upgraded system still had Nemo installed, while the new image replaced it with Portfolio. That shouldn’t happen without a note of “manual intervention required” on a rolling distro I believe.

tl;dr: when upgrading you get the newest version, if you don’t have any issues then you are good to go.
When you experience issues, try to flash the newest image again.

Those are my experiences. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Hello, I am having problems using the modem on my cell network. Where do i get debug info and where do I report it?

Also, what modem features (sending/reviving calls/sms/data) work at this point?

Thanks.

wifi does noy work for me either on the latest beta. clicking on the wifi icon does not open the wifi dialog. this was working in beta2

There was no wifi dialog for me… It could be because I was running off the sdcard… Are you running off sdcard or emmc?

Can you try running nmtui in terminal? (Displays better via SSH by the way)

I am running Manjaro posh from sd card … and I cannot get a wifi dialog. Is there a cli command I can enter to connect to a wifi?

As expected, Anbox is included in the January 21 build, but new apps aren’t in the Dev versions if you flash those first. Thanks everyone who helped.

try running nmtui in terminal ← to get the wifi working… I havent yet tried myself.

So it looks like there could be a bug that running from the sd card is different from running from the internal memory? I have noticed this also happens on the other builds, plasma and ubuntu touch.

Wifi says it’s connected but if you check with whatsmyip.com the phone isn’t actually connected to your wifi network