The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our twenty eight BETA release for the PinePhone running Phosh!
Those images run the 6.0 kernel from Megi.
- Firefox uses a dedicated configuration and plays videos on Youtube pretty well
- Camera app with access to back and front camera, including autofocus
- Auto-Rotate function and manual rotate
- Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
- We have now a working Torch in the quick-access-menu
- Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
- Recording of audio works
- Most applications got added to
- Haptic feedback functions are given
- Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
- Maps working with geolocate
- Volume buttons working
- Sensors fully functional
- Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
- Default branch is
arm-stable. This can be changed by editing
- usage of callaudiod for better audio experience with calls
- This image uses a Crust enabled uboot (Pinephone only)
- We updated the kernel to 6.0.3
- V4L2 apparently doesn’t have as strict backwards compatibility guarantees, and mainline changed the media graph for Rockchip ISPs, hence Megapixels support on PPP for cameras doesn’t work anymore.
- Those who still want to use Megapixels can downgrade the kernel to 5.19 series
- Gnome-Calls got updated to 43.0 including a fix to not autostart into UI
Gnome got updated to 43
- initial setup might not be as adaptive as the patched GTK3 version was before
- Squeekboard is now at 1.20.0
- libcall-ui 0.0.5 includes the new round design
- Pipewire got updated to 0.3.59
- gstreamer is now at 1.20.4
- modemmanager got renewed to 1.18.12
- alsa got updated to 1.2.8
Chatty is now at 0.7.0-rc1
- you may want to install mmsd-tng to add MMS support. APN needs to be manually configured
eg25-manager got updated to 0.4.6
- now respects driver rules
- Firefox is now at 106.0.3
- modemmanager got renewed to 1.20.0
- networkmanager is now at 1.40.2
- Pamac and libpamac got updated to support Gnome 43
A detailed list of package changes can be found here.
- GPS may not work as it should
- During a Call the Mic can’t be muted on Pinephone and PinephonePro
- UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
- Doing a recording may result in noisy audio savings
- Lots of apps are still missing or are not mobile friendly yet.
About the device:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.
The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.
Pinephones Beta Edition are still on stock. Visit the Pine64 Store
How to install:
Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.
After that, install Etcher (
sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).
The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.
The premade users are:
We will list our progress to Beta29 here
- Beta28 (2022-11-24) Download
- based on stable branch
- Dev (2022-12-04) Download
- based on unstable branch
- Pipewire got updated to 0.3.61
- Firefox is now at 107.0.1
- Bluez got renewed to 5.66
- Chatty is at 0.7.0rc3
- Some Gnome packages got updated to 43.2
- Mesa is at 22.2.4
- Phosh-Antispam got updated to 3.0
- Systemd is at 252.2
- vvmplayer got renewed to 2.0
- Megapixels works again with PPP cameras
- Dev (2022-12-07) Download
- Dev (2022-12-15) Download
- Dev (2023-01-05) Download
- based on unstable branch
- Kernel is now at 6.1.2
- We ship now the normal Megapixels also to the Pinephone Pro as 1.6.0 includes all base patches to allow to apply needed PPP patch-set on top.
- callaudiod is at 0.1.6
- Firefox is renewed to 108.0.1
- mesa got refreshed to 22.3.2
- phosh is at 0.23.0 and phosh-mobile-settings at 0.23.1
- pipewire got renewed to 0.3.63
- Systemd is at 252.4
- xorg-server got updated to 21.1.6