Manjaro ARM Beta27 with Phosh (PinePhone / PinePhonePro)

Manjaro ARM Beta27 of Phosh for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our twenty seventh BETA release for the PinePhone running Phosh!

Those images run the 5.19 kernel from Megi.

Features:

• Firefox uses a dedicated configuration and plays videos on Youtube pretty well
  • Camera app with access to back and front camera, including autofocus
  • Auto-Rotate function and manual rotate
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • We have now a working Torch in the quick-access-menu
  • Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions are given
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Maps working with geolocate
  • Volume buttons working
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-stable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
  • usage of callaudiod for better audio experience with calls
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot (Pinephone only)

Changes since Beta26

• Kernel got updated to 5.19.8 which brings in the following fixes:
    • fix breakage in 8723cs caused by Linux API changes in wireless stack in 5.19.2
    • add reboot to maskrom support for Pinephone Pro
    • fix various rt5640 codec issues: megi's PinePhone Development Log
    • decouple camera ISP1 and DRM on RK3399 (fixes lack of display when rear camera is not probed)
    • fix longstanding issue with 44.1kHz sample rate playback not working correctly after playing 48kHz audio on RK3399 (Pinephone Pro)
  • Pamac got updated to 10.4.2
  • Firefox got updated to 104.0.2
  • Mesa got renewed to 22.1.7
  • Phosh is now at 0.21.0
  • Phoc got renewed to 0.21.1
  • Phosh-Mobile-Settings got added
  • Megapixels gained initial PinephonePro support.
    • older installs may want to install megapixels-ppp

A detailed list of package changes can be found here.

Currently broken:

• GPS may not work as it should

Known issues

• During a Call the Mic can’t be muted on Pinephone and PinephonePro
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Doing a recording may result in noisy audio savings
  • Lots of apps are still missing or are not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PinePhone Beta27
PinePhone Nightly

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

Order

Pinephones Beta Edition are still on stock. Visit the Pine64 Store

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

Development Changelog

We will list our progress to Beta28 here

• Beta27 (2022-09-12) Download
    • based on stable branch
  • Dev (2022-09-21) Download
    • based on unstable branch
    • Pipewire got updated to 0.3.58
    • eg25-manager now respects driver rules
    • Firefox is now at 105.0
    • Gnome-Calls got updated to 43.0 including a fix to not autostart into UI
    • NetworkManager got renewed to 1.40.0
    • Squeekboard is now at 1.20.0
    • libcall-ui 0.0.5 includes the new round design
    • We updated the kernel to 5.19.9
  • Dev (2022-10-21) Download
    • based on unstable branch
    • Pipewire got updated to 0.3.59
    • Firefox is now at 106.0
    • We updated the kernel to 6.0.2
      • V4L2 apparently doesn’t have as strict backwards compatibility guarantees, and mainline changed the media graph for Rockchip ISPs, hence Megapixels support on PPP for cameras doesn’t work anymore
    • eg25-manager got updated to 0.4.5
    • gstreamer is now at 1.20.4
    • modemmanager got renewed to 1.18.12
  • Dev (2022-10-30) Download
    • based on *unstable branch
    • alsa got updated to 1.2.8
    • Firefox is now at 106.0.2
  • Dev (2022-11-04) Download
    • based on *unstable branch
    • Chatty is now at 0.7.0-rc1
    • eg25-manager got updated to 0.4.6
    • Firefox is now at 106.0.3
    • modemmanager got renewed to 1.20.0
    • networkmanager is now at 1.40.2
    • We updated the kernel to 6.0.3
    • Gnome got updated to 43
      • initial setup doesn’t launch anymore. 42 adaptive version is not supported due to libsoup3 incompability
    • Pamac and libpamac got updated to support Gnome 43
4 Likes

I’m not entirely sure, but either this beta or the first update to it started exhibiting a weird behavior. With the phone plugged in charger and sleeping, it wakes up something like once per 30 minutes with mobile data indicator displaying no connection, it quickly gets connection, and goes back to sleep in a minute or so.

This release is awesome. For the first time ever I have “fully” working Pinephone (in my use case - things might be different for someone else).

Biggest improvement is that audio is routed correctly with almost every scenario. Last scenario (I noticed) missing is when you try to switch speaker - earpiece during call. With this release I can say that my Pinephone works like a phone without custom scripts.

If you are registered to Wifi you get GPS fix like 30 seconds and it works also after that flawless. Without Wifi it is still slow and needs like 5 minutes.

I really hope that Pine64, Pine64 community, developers, Manjaro folks, and all others can get things in order with each other as well. I understand all parties involved and I think this is mostly a matter of poor communication (I don’t want to blame, but Manjaro and Pine64 have the most room for improvement in communication. I understand what Manjaro is doing and I believe that it is necessary to get more people excited - but I still believe that the criticism received here is completely valid and should be listened to because I also completely understand the irritation about certain things)
Potential is huge. We can not waste it - what is left if we don’t have Pine64?

the update i installed on 2022-10-21 seems to have fixed the issue and everything else has seemed like a very solid release since the beginning of beta27

Does MMS in Chatty now work out of the box?

chatty supports it but AFAIK you need to install package mmsd-tng to enable it.

Thanks. I think I will try that, since lack of MMS support has been the last thing preventing me from being able to use the Pinephone instead of an old Android, support for which is said to have expired on October 31, and which I suspect is about to stop getting security updates.

I tried it, and the package will enable MMS support. Then you need to configure APN and MMSC address.

Thanks.

What about PipeWIre as a replacement for PulseAudio? Is it planned?