Manjaro ARM Beta2 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Hello Philm,

I can find ‘scale-to-fit’ with ‘pacman’. Does this an already installed application ? How to install it ? How to use it ?

Thank you.

You can register with Disroot or e.foundation ecloud for free which provides Nextcloud services.
You can also run your own server on a Raspberry Pi/old pc with Yunohost for example.

Yes you can but you will have to change it in lightdm for auto login screen as you know mobile phones don’t really have user switching capabilities normally in Android and ios. Maybe in future linux phone will support multi user login.

Yes i think it is normal as it takes full processing power during startup and when it’s pulling so much power from the battery then the battery take less power from the charger.

I’d like to say that it is better to all hardware based questions in pine64 forum as they’re the right person to answer it in detail.

Here we can discuss about software.

Enjoy your devices everyone. :slight_smile:

Hello Arg0s,

I’ve taken a look on Yunoshost, I’ve a Raspberry Pi which do nothing. I’ve used a RPI to make a Glusterfs node (very slow), I can try a private cloud now, with a smartphone it could be a very good idea.

Thank you.

1 Like

As long as most calls are missing when phone is in deep sleep the main function of a phone - make and receive calls - is not working.

I hope the newe modem driver will make this shitty problem with the modem smaller.

I fear that the modem hardware selected by Pine was a bad decision.

Any way to test the new modem driver ATM?

It is installed as a part of phoc so it should already be installed:

[manjaro@inimdugdug ~]$ which scale-to-fit
/usr/bin/scale-to-fit
[manjaro@inimdugdug ~]$ pacman -Q --owns /usr/bin/scale-to-fit
/usr/bin/scale-to-fit is owned by phoc 0.4.4+16+g9a0587d-1
[manjaro@inimdugdug ~]$ scale-to-fit
Usage: /usr/bin/scale-to-fit APP-ID VALUE

I cannot find a man page but Manual Scaling in Phosh gives an overview of its use.

it is simply scale-to-fit <application-binary>. The extra on is not needed anymore. However you have to pass off to turn it off for that specific application.

The new modem driver is part of the Megi kernel. That is currently available in the testing and unstable branch of Manjaro. To test it from an OS image you may try Beta2 (2020-11-10), which is based on unstable, or any later released development release. We will switch all our installations to that kernel with beta3.

no i think this has something to do with the charging modes. No matter what the load is the charging is only 0.5A unless i disconnect and reconnect the cable after UI loading starts. Then it charges with 1A again. So clearly something to do with software.

I am delighted with my pinephone using this release. I’ve been using my old flip phone for years and years just waiting until there was an open-source smart phone, and this release finally seems good enough to switch permanently. Keep up the great work!

My only wish is that the phone was somewhat smaller (too big for back pocket), but not your fault.

There is a solution to import phone contacts from vcard

Tested ok :wink:

Thank you Whk.

Thank you.

I’ve tested with success too, even if my old phone export many *.VCF file for one contact :frowning: I must make some cleaning in my files.

Returns “Target not found”. Do I need to enable other repositories for this to work?

It depends which branch you are on. Currently on stable branch you still have the Kernel by Samuel with the old modem driver. Only when you are on testing or unstable you have the newer kernel by Megi, which needs that new bluetooth firmware.

Here’s the thing, I flashed the unstable version, then ran pacman -Syyu. Lots of things were downgraded, but the bluetooth issue persists.

I’m going to start over with the stable beta2.

Tested the build with the MEGI Kernel from 1.11.2020:

At first hours very much better. Phone and modem wake up, after not 10 seconds all was up and incoming call established! better than ever. But after some hours lying beside me totady the modem wakes up on incoming call but the icon for the mobile connection was not coming up anymore. Also phone is VERY slow and mobile connection disappeared also from settings. Seems that modem was crashed?

How to update this build with alternative kernel and modem driver? Pacman -Syu othe has to be changed more than this?

sudo pacman -Syu

[sudo] Passwort für manjaro:
:: Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken…
core ist aktuell
extra ist aktuell
community ist aktuell
:: Starte vollständige Systemaktualisierung…
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf…
Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen…
Warnung: Entferne ‘wlroots’ aus der Ziel-Liste, da es mit ‘phoc’ in Konflikt steht
:: phoc und wlroots stehen miteinander in Konflikt. wlroots entfernen? [j/N]
Fehler: Nicht auflösbare Paketkonflikte gefunden
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (In Konflikt stehende Abhängigkeiten)
:: phoc und wlroots stehen miteinander in Konflikt

answer y to remove wlroots.

It seems the ability to close open apps is gone in the latest update. Not sure when it was removed as I dont update on every release.