Manjaro ARM Beta2 with Phosh (PinePhone)

I think phosh added an update recently that allows you to swipe an open app up to close it

I think phosh added an update recently that allows you to swipe an open app up to close it

Installed the build 2020-11-10 , but can I update it via pacman? or does it overwrite the experimental kernel + driver?

ever since i installed the new modem firmware i need to press the bt keyboard keys multiple times before the phone displays lock screen. PrevĆ­ously it took one keypress. Additionally it takes many keypresses on the bluetooth devices page to get it ā€œconnectedā€ after boot. Previously it only took one or few.

Just got the phone today. The package had been opened by customs and had yellow imprinted tape around it. The inner box still had its plastic wrapping on, which was nice. The customs people must have been let down, no contraband at all. Open source is suspicious stuff.

Well, Iā€™d like to have a Linux toy, which I would really like to have as my phone eventually. After a couple of hours:

The kernel was 5.1 or smth, I guess. The battery gauge or meter (or smth, sorry, not native) had the remaining percentage dropping very fast. You could actually see it move. The GUI thingie for updating surely does not work at all. I suā€™d and ran as root:

pacman -Syu

ā€¦just as has been instructed here and there, and also as others have noticed, a power related package had to be removed or replaced or smth like that.

I had my regional settings set already before updating. The layout changed on the fly and I could not type anything in to the shell window after updating. Had to force reboot. I pressed the power button for some seconds and eventually the phone rebooted (without giving any hint, though). So, now the lock screen thinks I would like to have it in Swedish. Mycket kiva juttu (pƄ finlandssvenska)! Why the hell would that happen? My language setting is still English (US) and the layout is Finnish. The kernel version is (uname -r): 5.9.1.9-MANJARO-ARM. Otherwise, updating seems to have worked well and the device might be a bit snappier than before.

Thereā€™s probably a lot to do even without the users pointing out what works and what doesnā€™t. Even so, these do worry me most:

• I read that calls and SMS are not working (I donā€™t personally know if they do or not)
  • encryption
  • power consumption (someone mentioned Usage app, it really does use it all, doesnā€™t it?)
  • scaling of apps and even settings does not work very well and landscape mode does not help at all here

What is the Factory images?

what is wys and why was it removed? is this package the bundled wlroots found in the testing branch?

After some deep sleep an test-call incoming wakes up the phone. It wakes up fast, the Wlan is up in 1-2 seconds. But the mobile connection lasts the 20 seconds. And was not displayed coming up.
After showing the Wifi icon the mobile-connection icon was missed for up to 20 seconds

So, now the lock screen thinks I would like to have it in Swedish. Mycket kiva juttu (pƄ finlandssvenska)! Why the hell would that happen? My language setting is still English (US) and the layout is Finnish.

You are missing locale fi_FI.UTF-8
You can get it by uncommenting #fi_FI.UTF-8 line in /etc/locale.gen and then running locale-gen.
You need root privileges to do that and preferably a ssh connection. More info on
Locale Archwiki web page
I suggest that fi_FI.UTF-8 is included in the standard /etc/locale.gen because I guess that there are at least a few Finnish users who are not Swedish speaking and
prefer a true Finnish locale. I use fi_FI.UTF-8 successfully.

I suggest that fi_FI.UTF-8 is included in the standard /etc/locale.gen because I guess that there are at least a few Finnish users who are not Swedish speaking and
prefer a true Finnish locale. I use fi_FI.UTF-8 successfully.

That will be better when beta3 got released. You may switch to testing or unstable to test it out now.

Like this??

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Switching_Branches

2 Likes

Updated to latest build unstable:

Wifi is up after 1-2 seconds. Mobile carrier lasts 20 seconds or more. Incoming call cannot be received

New test: mobile takes nearly one minute to go up. After an reboot goes up immediately

Loving the beta 2 on my recently purchased Manjaro phone! The Testing version released on the 12th seems to be the most functional for me regarding receiving calls and SMS (Iā€™m with O2 in the UK) - the latest (19th) Unstable(?) release doesnā€™t have notifications when an SMS is received - this worked on the build released on the 12th :slight_smile:

1 Like

feeling stupid, hoping Iā€™m in the correct thread hereā€¦
casual linux user here, coming from user-friendly distros other than arch.
Iā€™ve had my PinePhone for a while now, getting familiar with manjaro-arm and apps. Without SIM or any other connection, I figure I should change the user and root passwords before venturing further.

1. I found username and password in settings. The password/code changed fine but the username does not change the actual username as seen in the /etc/passwd file, only the GECOS field is altered. Is that just the way it is?
  2. Opened terminal to change root password via passwd command, sudo passwd root. It prompts me for manjaro user password and then new/confirm password. Never got prompted for root password. What am I missing?
    TIA

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible yet. The mobile OSā€™s need a way to have multiple users. Iā€™ve tried this also. I have changed the device name though.

Thanks, los, I did that and rebooted.

It seemed to work as the lock screen and quick settings were in English first, but after having locked the phone, the lock screen is in Swedish again. The quick settings is still in English. This is not a huge problem for me.

Some more findings. I put in my SIM (Finnish operator Moi/DNA) to test SMS and calling. SMS is working inbound, but replying did nothing. I can also make a phone call to my number and the phone rings ok (did not test answering, though), but I cannot call back. So, it seems that receiving is working, which is of course more important as missing calls or messages would not be a good thing, but a bad thing.

i had same problem with swe-fi being the language even when choosing finnish. But on my operator elisa text messages, calls and data work normally. With the testing update with increased hz the last problem, robotic voice during call, disappeared.

Did you save /etc/locale.gen after changes?

I use testing branch which should be about the incoming beta3 and everything concerning calls and SMS seems to work reasonably well.
Sending a SMS reply is completely mute but works for me. I am a moi customer as well.
Test branch also includes firefox 83.
I hope all locales are ready generated in beta3. They should be at least for the countries where manjaro phones were ordered.

Installed latest updates via pacman in unstable. Kernel is

Linux manjaro-arm 5.9.9-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Thu Nov 19 13:01:16 CET 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Is this the MEGI kernel? Since upgrading to this kernel no incoming call was missed and phone works better than ever!

I hope, this will be even better the next BETA3 !