Manjaro ARM Beta 23 with Phosh (PinePhone / PinePhonePro)

Let’s try Mobian UCM similar as Arch does …

1 Like

Different results might be achieved when dropping back to PulseAudio

1 Like

I thought I’d report having an issue with the mic as well; it has hyper sensitivity and is made all the worse if my caller has their mic on, so the terrible feedback appears to come from ambient noise and the phone picking up its own speaker. I thought I damaged my phone in a move but all appears to be well with the device’s integrity.

I installed pavucontrol as @kmsgli and reduced mic gain to 15–20% and I’m not getting this in my tests now. I’ll need someone else to verify this with me.

I also noticed garbled call audio with this update, using pavucontrol to set mic gain to 35% fixed it.

@thwright I am glad this helped it def seems to be the mic sensitivity, I am wondering if the call profile is setting the sensitivity by default to high. I have been running with the pavucontrol fix since this beta dropped (daily driver) with no other negative side effects. I did notice the other day when making a call the earpiece speaker turned itself up so this is why I am wondering if the call profile was turning up the mic sensitivity?

@philm I can also confirm call waiting is still an issue, I just turned it back on and tested and it still kills the call you are on. If anyone needs instruction on how to access the modem to turn call waiting off I did a write-up on the Pine64 forums;
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15491&page=2

1 Like

In Manjaro/Phosh I can’t switch from PW to PA - the packages are in conflict and PW can’t be removed due to dependencies (I’ve already asked about this once in vain). So I tried to “standardize” the recording = Mic at 25% and 75% sensitivity set with pavucontrol is 3 cm from the laptop speaker (about like a call) with volume set to 50% and I play this. I recorded on Phosh (PW) and PlaMo ( PA) with these results: Phosh 25%, Phosh 75%, PlaMo 25% and PlaMo 75%

@philm
I see a new update just showed up for alsa-ucm is this the fix for this? Should I try removing pavucontrol and see what happens?

In the end, the main problem will be in the application.:upside_down_face: I installed krecorder on Phosh and recorded the audio under the conditions described above:

Updated 2022-03-08:
Communication with SoundRecorder developers has indicated that the difference is due to the use of a different codec/format when saving the recording. So I switched from the original FLAC to Opus with this much better result - gnome-sound-recorder 75%.opus

@philm
I tried the new version of alsa-ucm-pinephone and it returned the mic sensitivity up to 100% and the other person on the phone could not understand me. I was not able to use pavucontrol to fix it either I had to downgrade and then use pavucontrol to fix it.

Another try. all these changes are only on a PP. also try to go back to pulse to see if that helps.

I’m not sure if its because of the last update or not but i feel this happened after the update; I cannot receive sms anymore. sending sms is ok. anyone else with this problem? tips on debugging is welcome.

This update fixed a huge problem of mine which was the headphone volume which was low even at max. Now however at the beginning of songs which I’m listening in lollypop when I increase the volume the audio gets stuttered for a few seconds. feels like high cpu usage or the likes since everything gets a bit unresponsive at the same time.

The settings options (Configuration, Output Device and Volume/Sensitivity) seem to be preserved when restarting phosh.service. :+1:
BTW, nice article about testing call quality.

I had exactly the same experience as @kmsgli.

I lost mic audio with the update, toggling down mic with pavuctrol fixed it.

I lost audio after the alsa-ucm upgrade so I had to downgrade it and use pavucontrol again.

Correction: After some phone calls, I was never able to recover the same good sound quality. I re-installed alsa-ucm 0.5.6-1, turned up the mic volume in gnome settings and things are working perfectly now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm. 0.5.6 was a UCM profile half done. Still wonder why that one works. On my end I had no issues with audio quality in regular phone calls. Since we have it all in git we can review and discuss changes made to that profile.

alsa-ucm-pinephone 0.5.7-1 works fine for me.
I’m wondering if the resulting quality is affected by the use of VoLTE (I had to explicitly enable this option with my operator :astonished:), but it shouldn’t be significant (it mainly solves another problem). A service where one can call and leave a recording to which others can be referred would be useful, but I can’t think of one. (I’ve tested exactly what the other party hears by setting up a mobile voicemail greeting.:upside_down_face:) It would certainly be useful to be able to record the entire call, as the Recorder/SoundRecorder apps only use Mic, so the earpiece/headset audio doesn’t register and is unsuitable for this purpose.:thinking:

It is the old v0.5.2 settings for the PP with a fix.

0.5.7-1 has worked for me as well, I was able to uninstall pavucontrol reboot and phone call mic was good.

Thanks @philm your the best!

I am working on trouble shooting the failure to wake from suspend issue that all original pinephone OS’s seem to have (crust issue I think).

I will report back if I get anywhere.

In order not to spoil the reputation of the SoundRecorder application for no good reason, I had to edit my earlier post. The difference between SoundRecorder and Recorder was due to saving in different formats.

@philm Just wanted to give you an update since my last post. I found out why I cannot make/receive phone calls. It has nothing to do with the software, but it has to do with the PinePhone “hardware”. I was using the ATT network and on March 1st they shut down all 3g services, which is when I started having the phone problems, yet I’m puzzled because the PinePhone is 4G and VoLTE compatible. Long story short when ATT reps checked the IMEI number it says it is ok, but upon further inspection it is labeled in their database as having no support for VoLTE. What this means is that I cannot send/receive phone calls and no internet connections (they did put a brand new sim card into my phone…twice. same results). Strangely enough though I am able to get text messages. When my sim card was placed in the latest iPhone, it also produced the same symptoms in that phone since it has the PinePhone IMEI. Then when my sim card in the iPhone had its IMEI changed to the iPhone…suddenly phone calls started working. idk, we may start having a lot of PinePhone problems in the coming months from many users as 3g starts going away from other carriers. I think the modem that is being used now will not be compatible with the new 4g/5g tech. So in my opinion Pine64 needs to update their modem otherwise a lot users may have unusable phones soon. Idk, maybe it’s different with other carriers who already phased out 3g, can’t confirm that. Someone from Pine64 needs to be aware of this, could become a huge issue.