Manjaro ARM Beta 16 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Everything works great but I still have this bug, and so do many others. gitlab.manjaro org/manjaro-arm/issues/pinephone/phosh/-/issues/184

The mic seems to work fine when using any app except when calling. Upon calling, the mic and audio settings change and can only be properly changed back with a reboot. This is the only issue keeping me from fully switching to my PinePhone. :frowning:
I’m new so I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Thank you eveyone! Keep up the great work :grin: :+1:

For those of you like myself that still need a working Maps app before making the jump to the PinePhone as a daily driver, there is some positive news as Gnome maps is seeing some gradual progress towards being more mobile friendly.
One point mentioned in this blog update is the optimisation of touch input for touch screens with improvements to pinch to zoom and fractional scaling.
I suspect that the other GUI points that they touch on are also connected to the preparations for improvements to the mobile experience in Gnome Maps later on.

2 Likes

Thanks! Was wondering what was going on with the mapping applications. They dont work that well right now.

Yeah, that is probably the only thing that I commonly use on phones that Linux on the PinePhone doesn’t offer usable alternatives for yet.
Most of the other things like calls and messages I do through communication apps like Signal and Telegram these days anyway, so I’m not too concerned about the traditional calling and messaging solutions, as long as I have mobile data, communication should be fine.

1 Like

Same here. Just need it for edge cases

I was advised to switch from PipeWire back to PulseAudio (similar as above). I have tried to do the opposite procedure to the instructions, but without success.
As a non-privileged user I don’t have permission to do this, if I execute it as root the service doesn’t start.

[root@manjaro-arm ~]# systemctl --user status pulseaudio
○ pulseaudio.service - Sound Service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: ○ pulseaudio.socket
[root@manjaro-arm ~]# 
[root@manjaro-arm ~]# systemctl --user status pulseaudio.socket 
○ pulseaudio.socket - Sound System
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
   Triggers: ● pulseaudio.service
  Condition: start condition failed at Sat 2021-10-02 15:19:55 CEST; 15s ago
             └─ ConditionUser=!root was not met
     Listen: /run/user/0/pulse/native (Stream)

What is the recommended procedure? Uninstall PipeWire? (But there are dependencies on it e.g. Mutter, Telegram, …)

Updated 2021-10-04:

# systemctl --machine=manjaro@.host --user stop pipewire.service pipewire.socket pipewire-media-session  # turn off PipeWire
# su manjaro -c "XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 pw-cli info 0"  # verification
# systemctl --machine=manjaro@.host --user mask pipewire.service pipewire.socket pipewire-media-session  # make PipeWire impossible to start
# systemctl --machine=manjaro@.host list-unit-files --state=masked  # verification

BTW screenshot # su manjaro -c "XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 XDG_PICTURES_DIR=~/Pictures grim"

did you disable pipewire.service and enable pulseaudio.service ? You could also try installing pavucontrol. It usually knocks pulseaudio into a usable state when you toggle some settings in it :slight_smile: It did not have an icon for me when I installed it but, seems to work just fine when you call it from the cli

Yeah. I’d like to do that. But I only managed to disable pipewire.service :see_no_evil:

Try:

$sudo pacman -S pavucontrol
$pavucontrol

after that, the pavucontrol gui should come up and you should be able to get your audio interfaces up and running with pulseaudio and minimal effort

All new images run with pulseaudio. Simply download one, flash it on an SD and test.

An error on my part in verifying the status. It seems that pactl info can’t be accessed using ssh as opposed to pw-cli info 0. It must be invoked somewhat differently.

Wow just changed to unstable branch, the new icons grafics are beautiful! Things are getting better amazingly fast and even more pretty as interface! Thanks so much for the great work!

Flashing… :woozy_face: I consider the possibility of continuous updates to be one of the great advantages of a Linux phone, so I try to avoid fashing. I know the system isn’t that mature yet, but I’m really looking forward to it and a big thanks to everyone involved in that future :beers: | :clinking_glasses:

The “pinephone” tag needs to be added to to this post, please.

This news is important to me. I can’t find my way out of a paper bag.

1 Like

I have issue with download.

Hey @philm Just wanted to say the progress you’re making on Manjaro Phosh is just awesome! Been using it on my Manjaro community edition since the phone was first available and it’s been wonderful to see it getting more feature-rich and robust. Things were a bit wobbly between Beta 12 and 14 but the current release is working well and is really polished - you should talk to Pine64 about maybe doing another run of Manjaro phones to highlight the progress you’ve made! :+1:

2 Likes

Manjaro is the Stock-OS on Pine64 devices. What more should we do :small_airplane:

1 Like

A new Manjaro case! How about black with a matte finish with the Manjaro logo repeated and rotated across the back in gloss? I’d buy another phone! (got the 2GB at the moment - I’d gladly get a new 3GB nicely branded Manjaro phone :wink:

Not every linux user uses manjaro, it’s not a manjaro phone, it’s a phone that people can choose among many different distros. Now the default distro is manjaro, but if one day manjaro stops making sense to someone, the person can simply change distro. In my opinion that is the philosphy behind the pinephone. I also love manjaro, the way it is, the community, how great the development is on the pinephone, and how great it is on pc too, I hope it stays as good as it is.