Manjaro ARM Beta 10 with Plasma Mobile (PinePhone / PinePhone Pro)

Hi @varikonniemi and others,

I’ve followed up on this and installed modem SDK 0.5.5 yesterday afternoon. Rebooted afterwards and tested it by using the PP CE as my main driver since then. Phone functionality seems to have improved much! I can receive and make calls consistently. Receiving SMSs also seems to go well, have not sent any yet. I’ve witnessed the modem crash once and recover from it (carrier name disappearing and reappearing in the left top corner). Might have happened more often without me seeing it, of course.

So far so good, will report back later once I’ve used it for a longer period.

My PP is still on recovery firmware EG25GGBR07A08M2G_01.003.01.003, by the way. Also still on the Plamo Beta 10 release, haven’t switched to testing or dev repo’s.

Edit:
The modem just crashed completely and did not come back up for me, unfortunately. Tried restarting eg25-manager and ModemManager through systemctl but this did not fix anything. A full reboot was required. Now trying to figure out if this was maybe because the SIM card is too loose, just stuffed a piece of paper in there to keep it in place more tightly. Curious to see if this changes things :slight_smile:

Regarding the modem I can mention that with the latest update and stock modem firmware I do not lose connection permanently, it just does a lot of automatic restarts like before. It unfortunately also does these restarts during a call which can lead to a couple of seconds of silence before conversation can be resumed. You can usually talk for 5+ minutes before it happens though so it does not happen that often. It seems that Plasma functions better with stock modem firmware?

I’m wondering if anyone has managed to make Dialer specifically only use the earpiece as sound output or at least automatically switch to the earpiece on an incoming call? Right now in order to hear the phone ring signal I have to set the phone sound output to speaker which means that the calls start in speaker mode and everyone I talk to complains that the sound on speaker is broken and that they can hear themselves. So when someone calls I take the call from the lock screen, then have to quickly unlock the phone, start Dialer and change from speaker to earpiece. This is quite annoying. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Is there for example a way to run a script on incoming call that switches sound output from speaker to earpiece?

Alternatively can the call sound quality on speaker be improved for the other caller? It’s fine for me but everyone I talk to says its horrible for them. Does taking calls on speaker have good sound for both caller and receiver in Phosh?

I have the same problem with calls.Мy problem with this is from earlier versions of plasma mobile.

i think you are mixing up something. You either have the recovery (stock) firmware, or open firmware. Are you maybe confusing the recovery and adsp firmware which is used along with open firmware? https://github.com/Biktorgj/pinephone_modem_sdk/blob/honister/docs/ADSP-CARRIERS.md

I guess the confusion stems from the fact that the ADSP firmware is extracted from the stock firmware (as a “firmware within the firmware”), so uses the same version numbers and is shipped from the same eg25_quectel_recovery repository. (Users of the stock firmware normally automatically run the same version of the ADSP firmware. Users of the open firmware have to choose a version of the ADSP firmware in addition to choosing a version of the open firmware.)

After my fresh install of Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-beta9.img.xz on 1st Jan and a few times pacman -Suyy I’m stuck without a working plasmaphonedialer just like here. It seems like I always use an app with a nasty dependent package that breaks qt. This is the error now:

plasmaphonedialer 
kf.kirigami: Units.devicePixelRatio is deprecated (since 5.86): This returns 1 when using Qt HiDPI scaling.
kf.kirigami: Units.wheelScrollLines is deprecated (since 5.86): Use Qt.styleHints.wheelScrollLines instead
KPEOPLESINK
kf.kirigami: Units.wheelScrollLines is deprecated (since 5.86): Use Qt.styleHints.wheelScrollLines instead
kf.kirigami: Units.devicePixelRatio is deprecated (since 5.86): This returns 1 when using Qt HiDPI scaling.
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/templates/OverlaySheet.qml:570:17: QML ColumnLayout: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/AbstractApplicationWindow.qml:283:5: QML Binding: Not restoring previous value because restoreMode has not been set.
This behavior is deprecated.
You have to import QtQml 2.15 after any QtQuick imports and set
the restoreMode of the binding to fix this warning.
In Qt < 6.0 the default is Binding.RestoreBinding.
In Qt >= 6.0 the default is Binding.RestoreBindingOrValue.

void ActiveCallModel::onFetchedCallsChanged(const CallDataVector&) 0 0
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/AbstractApplicationWindow.qml:283:5: QML Binding: Not restoring previous value because restoreMode has not been set.
This behavior is deprecated.
You have to import QtQml 2.15 after any QtQuick imports and set
the restoreMode of the binding to fix this warning.
In Qt < 6.0 the default is Binding.RestoreBinding.
In Qt >= 6.0 the default is Binding.RestoreBindingOrValue.

Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

When will you enable PSI on the kernel so we can run Waydroid and Android apps?

The kernels that have this are in unstable and testing branches.

So they will be there on next stable update.

Tried to make a call with AT command but the modem seems to be busy with the modem manager. Any other way to initiate a call until the above phone dialer problem has been fixed?

Hiya @Strit! Quick question, will the newly released Plasma 5.24 and Plasma Gear 22.02 be released into a new Manjaro Plamo Beta (11, probably :slight_smile: )? Or can I just update my Beta 10 installation to get the new Plasma packages?

There will likely be a new beta with plasma 5.24 and Gear 22.02 when they get into stable branch.

Updating will also get you those packages when they get into stable branch.

Does anyone know the modem-manager alternative to ofonoctl?

because since Beta10 I have the problem that the modem is disabled after the first reboot and the graphical tools offer little to no informations about it.

You can use mmcli

2 Likes

the modem is disabled after the first reboot

Did you turn off mobile data with the toggle in the top drawer? If so, you have to enable it for now, because the toggle currently turns the entire modem off. (Or you can try manually enabling the modem with mmcli as a workaround.) See Modem starts completely disabled if mobile data is disabled (regression from ModemManager port) (#133) · Issues · Plasma / Plasma Mobile · GitLab.

This was fixed a few hours ago for Plasma 5.24.1, which will be released upstream in the next couple days (tomorrow Tuesday 2022-02-15 if it goes according to plan) and then hopefully trickle down to Manjaro unstable → testing → stable (→ new Beta, for those who prefer reinstalling).

1 Like

probably just bugged modem, i had same happen on phosh. It is better to shut down and power up instead of restart because otherwise the modem might fail to start.

Thanks for all of your efforts!

Just tested Developer Release 202202280250

Wondering where I would report/discuss about KDE mobile design changes?

For example the new style of top bar menu icons makes a good thing worse:

edit:

That should be discussed with the Plasma Mobile developers. They have Matrix channels and are on invent.kde.org too.

It was a deliberate change to display more infrormation in the swipe-down bar.

1 Like

I have also had this problem before.

Try switching between Breeze and Breeze Dark icons a few times in the settings. Sometimes it takes a reboot to load the correct icons.

Convergence is still a bit laggy,
but after messing in Settings=> Display Configuration
with enabling and disabling the “laptop screen”, phone screen and external monitor do work together.

However, for this purpose at least a connected mouse is needed.
Integrating the TouchpadEmulator tool would be amazing.

When Manjaro realizes that there is a screen connected, we could check if also a mouse is connected,
maybe something like:
ls /dev/input/by-id/*mouse > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo "yes" || echo "no"

and if there is no mouse, we start the TouchpadEmulator.

:nerd_face:

Edit:
to check for a second monitor:
kscreen-doctor -o

the Pinephone screen is: Output: 1 unknown DSI-1-unknown
the USB-C connected one is: Output: 2 unknown DP-1-unknown

which service is listening to any change of display amounts?
currently figuring out what changes when enabling and disabling the phone screen, the whole convergence mess is caused by the “Screen Layout Widget”, but I don’t know how to launch this from terminal to test which config should be hardcoded:

Hello Schugy,

I got the same error after changing my language settings to german.
After I had switched back to American English(Standard) and a reboot, I could start the dialer.again.