Manjaro ARM Alpha2 with Phosh (PineTab)

Manjaro ARM Alpha2 of Phosh for PineTab!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our second ALPHA release for the PineTab running Phosh with lot of changes!

This image is running the 5.8 mainline kernel, with patches to enable bluetooth.

Features:

• Auto-Rotate function (deactivated by default)
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions added
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Geary Mail-Client in mobile version added
  • Maps with working GPS
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-unstable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf.
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot.

Currently broken:

• Camera worked during development cycle, currently gnome-camera doesn’t start
  • Audio was working previously, but is currently not

Known issues

• gnome-usage only works as root user. Open a terminal, switch to root and start it
  • rotation in landscape might hinder to unlock the device when locked too fast
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Lots of apps are still missing or is not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PineTab Alpha2

About the device:
PineTab:
The PINETAB is similar in both form, function and underlying ARM64 architecture to the original 11.6″ PINEBOOK. It is powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit Processor used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer. The optional keyboard and trackpad – which doubles-up as a screen cover – effectively converts the PineTab into a petite on-the-go laptop with a touch screen functionality. It runs numerous mainline Linux distributions as well as *BSDs and Android.

As a new open source platform, the PineTab development is an ongoing process and represents a great opportunity to get involved with computing on a different level, to customise and personalise the portable computer experience, to understand what is going on beneath the surface.

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PineTab should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

1 Like

Thanks, I hope all will work when my device will arrive, it seems that in September now

I received my Pinetab and have been trialling several OS. The SD card works, as I can boot other OS (Mobian, Arch Linux for Pinetab) from SD, but not Manjaro ARM Pinetab Phosh alpha 2 and alpha 1. Both display just a black screen. If there is something else that should be done to boot, please let me know and I will try it out. Also, is there a specific bug tracker for the Manjaro releases for the Pinetab?

Same issue as @PractisingDruid, the latest PineTab Plasma Mobile and Phosh images fail to boot from SD card. Booting Mobian from the same card works just fine.

Pinetab has a different panel as the devices our developers have. That is why our images are not supporting the devices currently available for the public.

I figured it was related to differences in the dev devices. Thanks for the update @philm!

I can create a test image, with a kernel where I tried patching in the new panel used in the new Pinetab’s, for you to try if you want?

Thanks @Strit! I’m more than willing to wait until support is added in an upcoming release. I can’t speak for @PractisingDruid, of course. And thanks for all the work on this, I’ve really been enjoying Manjaro’s Phosh build for the PinePhone. :smile:

If it’s something that needs testing, I’d be more than happy to give the image a spin!

It is. As I don’t have one of the new PineTab’s I can’t test if it works.

I’m available to help test that, for sure! I’m itching to give Manjaro a try on it.

Okay, I made an uploaded a test image, which can be downloaded here.

It’s a Phosh edition, build on arm-unstable branch with linux-rc kernel that has a patch to use the new panel. I can’t test it, since it breaks the support for the old dev unit I have.

1 Like

IMG burned and booting now. I see the Manjaro logo!

Phosh doesn’t autostart (it seems that may have been a fluke, another user reported phosh starting correctly when they booted it, in the pinetab channel) I might be missing something, but it doesn’t see the wifi, either. *enabling NetworkManager and rebooting brought wifi back, and Phosh autostarted on second boot, too!

The display seems to be stuck in an upside down portrait orientation. The Phosh menu shows the autorotate options, but does not change based on moving the tab. *I just saw in a reddit post that this is a known issue in the PineTab alpha builds. However it does state that manual rotation works, how is that achieved?

I can’t seem to get the power button to wake the screen after it times out.

If Lomiri is to a state it needs testers, I’d like to offer there, too. I recalled seeing the apps needed a while back, but i think it might have gotten lost in the crash of the prev forums.

This is an awesome alpha image so far!

1 Like

Thanks for testing.

This appears that none of the services that are suppose to be enabled, is enabled. So we are missing something in the image it seems.

Thanks for reporting this. I think the DTS is simply missing the power button as a wakeup call.

No idea about Lomiri, maybe @spikerguy knows the status there. I just build the profiles we have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny enough, now --after the 4th or 5th hard boot-- the power button is waking the screen after the display times out.

Waiting for a sample device to test lomiri and fix if there is any issue with it.

1 Like

I’ll be happy to help do any testing for it!

1 Like

Thanks for testing our fish :stuck_out_tongue:

Ill try to build a pinetab image with lomiri and share it with you.

2 Likes

Thanks for making good fish! I’ll keep an eye for the image and share any feedback!

Thank you all for the replies and the work on this. I can wait until the next release to try Manjaro again. I use Manjaro on my desktop all the time, so I am looking forward to a workable version for the Pinetab.