Manjaro ARM 21.04 released!

Manjaro ARM 21.04 released!

We are proud to announce the release of Manjaro ARM 21.04, which will soon be available via manjaro.org.

Currently we have download images for: Raspberry Pi 4, Rock Pi 4C, RockPro64, Khadas Vim 2, Khadas Vim 3, Odroid N2, Pinebook and the Pinebook Pro.

Manjaro ARM is proud to be the default installation on the Pinebook Pro from Pine64.
We have put in a lot of work to get to this point and we are excited that we have been accepted by the creators of this laptop, as a great OS option.

Pine64 also recently announced that Manjaro ARM with Plasma Mobile is going to be the stock OS on the retail PinePhones going forward. What an honor!

We where also recently honored to be the default OS on the PinePhone.
Thanks to all the people that have bought a Manjaro CE PinePhone and will buy a PinePhone in the future to support this project!

Our usual CDN provider (OSDN) is having some issues, so these images are hosted on Github Releases.
We hope OSDN gets their issues sorted out soon, so we can get back to using their service.

New application for flashing images

We have been working on a new GUI app to make it easy for users to flash a Manjaro ARM image on to an SD card or eMMC card.
Simply install manjaro-arm-flasher and launch the app “Manjaro ARM Flasher” from your menu. This will download and flash the image of your choice.

You can also manually run the application (if you are not running Manjaro ARM) by downloading this python script, make it executable with chmod +x manjaro-arm-flasher and then run it with sudo ./manjaro-arm-flasher. It requires python-blkinfo 0.1.3 to be installed, which can be installed with pip install blkinfo.

First Time setup

This release sports the First Time setup for all images, also via SSH. This means that at first boot, you will be asked about the following:

• keyboard layout (except on pinebook, that is fixed to us layout)
  • username
  • additional user groups (optional)
  • full name
  • password for that username
  • password for root
  • timezone
  • locale
  • hostname

Then the setup script will set these settings and reboot to the login screen.

Screenshots

XFCE

KDE Plasma

MATE

Downloads:

Device XFCE KDE Plasma MATE Minimal
Raspberry Pi 3/3+/4/400 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04
Pinebook Pro 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04
Pinebook 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04
Rock Pi 4C 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04
RockPro64 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04
Khadas Vim 2 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04
Khadas Vim 3 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04
Odroid N2/n2+ 21.04 21.04 21.04 21.04

Torrents are also available!

Features:

• New packages from upstream and Manjaro ARM.
  • XFCE 4.16
  • KDE Plasma 5.21
  • The Pinebook Pro got DP altmode support back, thanks to Ayufan for putting together working hacky patches for that.
  • The Odroid N2 images also work on the Odroid N2+.
  • Now uses Plymouth as default splash.

Known issues:

• No audio cards on Roc-CC.

Tips and Tricks:

Smoothness on Raspberry Pi 3 devices:
To get a smoother experience on your Raspberry Pi 3 device, while running the Raspberry Pi 4 image do this:

• Install xf86-video-fbturbo-git.
  • Edit /boot/config.txt and comment out dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d and max_framebuffers=2.
  • Save the file and reboot.

Supported Devices:

• Khadas Vim 2 (maintained by @spikerguy)
  • Khadas Vim 3 (maintained by @spikerguy)
  • Odroid N2
  • Pinebook
  • Pinebook Pro
  • Raspberry Pi 4 (tested on Model B, Raspberry Pi 3 and Raspberry Pi 400) (maintained by @darksky)
  • Rock Pi 4C (maintained by @spikerguy)
  • RockPro64

With Manjaro ARM Installer (in addition to the above devices): (Download it here)

• Khadas Vim 1
  • Khadas Edge-V Pro
  • LibreComputer ROC-RK3328-CC
  • NanoPC T4
  • Odroid C2
  • Odroid C4
  • Odroid N2+
  • Pine64-LTS
  • Pine64+
  • Pine-H64
  • Rock64
  • Rock Pi 4B

What about other devices?

Manjaro ARM no longer supports the armv7h architecture. So if you have/use an armv7h device, you should be looking at other distro’s. Some could be:

• Arch Linux ARM
  • Armbian
  • Raspbian (for the raspberrypi)
  • Ubuntu Mate
  • Parabola

The armv7h repo has been removed from the repo server and mirrors.

We won’t be making images for all the supported devices. If your desired image for your desired supported device does not exist, please use manjaro-arm-installer to install it to an SD/eMMC card.

Donation

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

10 Likes

As usual updated GNOME and Sway images for community supported devices can be found here: Manjaro-ARM Community ¡ GitHub

3 Likes

does sway profile update? 1.6 released few days ago.

As it was just released 4 days ago I doubt it hit the stable repos by now…

Thanks for your hard work!

1 Like

It seems that the correct name is manjaro-arm-installer, couldn’t find “flasher” in the repos.

Flasher is only in the ARM repos.

Ok, that explains it.

how do i build sway image for n2?

1. Install manjaro-arm-tools.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Run sudo getarmprofiles.
  4. Run sudo buildarmimg -d on2 -e sway
  5. Wait until it finishes.
  6. You now have a Sway image for the Odroid N2 in your /var/cache/manjaro-arm-tools/img/ folder.
3 Likes

I haven’t had received any feedback for devices beyond the Pinebooks and Raspberry Pis so far, but if we can get it working on your device properly I would be glad to update the ManjaroARM Community build bots to also build images for the n2/n2+ in the future…

1 Like

Just dusted off my sons unused pi4 and decided to give kde a spin on it. Really impressed with how well it runs. Gone straight onto unstable, and happy to test anything anytime it’s needed

Hi,

have a look here, how to build your own Manjaro

[Wiki] How to contribute to Manjaro ARM

fresh install sway-rpi4-20210424, every disappear but wallpaper on screen.

its an issue in bluetooth module of waybar: [ARM Stable Update] 2021-04-27 - Firefox, KDE Frameworks, RPI Imager, Uboots and Kernels - #13 by appelgriebsch

workaround: open .config/waybar/config and comment the line for bluetooth module

30 │ // "bluetooth",

1 Like

Hi Strit!

Thanks for working on Manjaro ARM!

By using the meson-sm1-sei610.dtb, I am able to boot the vim3 20.12 Manjaro ARM images on my T95 Max Plus but I am not able to boot the 21.04 images. What has changed since? There seems to be some new boot splash or something?

Do you have any plans to support any TV boxes? Even if you don’t, it would be great if you could make a couple of small additions to the vim3 kernel build so that it could support some TV boxes like mine better.

Coreelec say my box should be using sm1_s905x3_4g.dtb but this seems to be missing from the vim3 kernel packages so it would be cool to see that as an option and I’d also like to be able to use the LED panel either as a clock or to show the CPU temp during builds. Android dmesg on my T95 MP tells me it uses the fd655 kernel module for this but I’m not sure that is a thing in vanilla Linux so we might need to add this:

I’ve kinda got the onboard wifi working already but slowly as Manjaro thinks my wifi is a brcmfmac4330 but according to Android I should be using the broadcom 40183b2 driver / firmware. It would be great to see that packaged with the vim3 kernel too, if there are no legal issues in doing so.

Hi again!

The T95 MAX Plus started to reset whenever I connected a USB device less than a week after I got it so I sent that back and got a X96 Air which is another S905X3 based TV box but, despite actually being slightly cheaper, this has more ports (1 extra USB 2 and optical audio) and is better build quality. The included Android is infinitely better than the one on the T95 MAX Plus and I was able to boot the vim3 MATE 21.04 image using meson-sm1-sei610.dtb, unlike on the T95MP where I had to revert to 20.12.

I’ve not tried any alternate dtbs yet but with meson-sm1-sei610.dtb the wifi works great (MUCH better than on the T95MP) but the ethernet does not and nor does analogue audio, although I’ve yet to have a proper go at fixing that.

take a look:

Installing Manjaro Arm on X96 Air P3 TV Box - ARM / Technical Assistance - Manjaro Linux Forum

1 Like

Hi Tiber

Yes, I have seen that thread. I have downloaded the latest LibreELEC AMLGX ‘box’ image but it contains roughly the same (number of) dtbs that are included with linux-aml and doesn’t have one for sm1_ac213_4g.

I have another thread on this forum that I created yesterday where I asked if anyone has tried building the CoreELEC / amlogic kernel and using it under Manjaro? It is quite old now, 4.9.x, and I expect its dts files won’t be of much use to a 5.x mainline kernel but I don’t really know anything about dts and how much it has changed over the last 4 years or whatever. That kernel does have a dts for my box, an X96 Air Q1000 / sm1_ac213_4g.

1 Like

I start my X96AIR-box as described here:

use these files as mentioned:
meson-sm1-x96-max-plus-100-vim2.dtb
boot.ext
extlinux.conf

Try it.

Forget CE, they use newest Kernel 4.9 from may 21, but the used .dtb do have another structure.