Manjaro ARM 21.02 released!

Hi,

First, congratulations to the Dev team for their hard work.

By default, on the Odroid N2 KDE, the /etc/environment file look like so, see below

#
# This file is parsed by pam_env module
#
# Syntax: simple "KEY=VAL" pairs on separate lines
#
QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software

Should I change the line
QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software
with this one ?
QT_BACKEND_RENDERER=software

Is it possible with the c4 and c2 ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

It should be QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software to have any effect.

What it does, is it makes Plasma use software rendering for the GUI stuff.

Thanks, I’ll try it as soon as possible.

In case you want to try out the latest Sway or GNOME image on your Pinebook Pro or Raspberry Pi 4 I’ve created a ManjaroARM Community organization on GitHub, which hosts these community-supported variants: Manjaro-ARM Community · GitHub.

Sway:

GNOME:

5 Likes

First time using Manjaro. Just wanted to say this new release absolutely flies on the Raspberry Pi 400. It is even faster than the Raspberry PI arm64 OS.
Plus I am loving the new KDE.
Great job!

2 Likes

it’s much more stable using plasma wayland session on odroid n2. But how do i set “MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox” in wayland session? because creating this file do nothing “~/.config/environment.d/envvars.conf”, firefox windows protocol still using xwayland rather than just wayland.

you can add this to /etc/environment to have it set for all sessions, or to ~/.profile for your current user profile

1 Like

What does this do? I run Firefox on wayland without setting this. Maybe it is set somewhere already?

Runs firefox with wayland support.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox_#Wayland

set MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 to /etc/environment, and check about:support, it say window protocol is xwayland.

My FF already shows xwayland, no environment variable set. Maybe I previously set something in about:config?

According to the wiki above after setting the enviroment:

You may enter about:support in the URL bar to check the Window Protocol. It should say wayland instead of x11 or xwayland.

Start firefox with this and open up about:config and see what it does:

export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
firefox

Ah, ok. I gave it a try and will again. But on first impressions, it does like this forum. I was getting locked-up trying to enter this reply. Maybe it was just a glitch, so I will test it more.

Edit: It did not take long, to test. It runs very poorly on my system.

It also run poorly on my system (odroid n2), i just want to test if running firefox in native wayland is better than in xwayland. but it’s still much better for firefox in xwayland.

You have to reboot, for the environment to be sourced again. :slight_smile:

no, with or without ‘export’, it show xwayland.

type “MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox” in /etc/environment. after that log out then login again. window protocol in about:support will change to wayland. but beware it’s not stable currently.

still show xwayland.
ps. plasma wayland session

@0n0w1c
Something else to try in a terminal.

export MOZ_WEBRENDER=1
export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
firefox

Thanks for the gnome image :slight_smile: I can’t seem to get it to boot into a graphical environment when building it with the installer (the arm profiles are updated) or when writing it to a sd-card and booting it.

The furthest I get with the build proces on to the eMMC (using a USB adapter) is a login prompt. The splash screen shows when booting and display’s 3 dmesg errors:

[    1.798561] OF: graph: no port node found in /i2c@ff3d0000/fusb30x@22
[    2.469887] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: PCIe link training gen1 timeout!
[    2.943675] rockchip-dp ff970000.edp: no DP phy configured

Loging in from tty and running startx does not startx

Summary

X.Org X Server 1.20.10
4 │ X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
5 │ Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
6 │ Current Operating System: Linux pbpro 5.11.3-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Thu Mar 4 12:03:53 UTC 2021 aarch64
7 │ Kernel command line: initrd=/initramfs-linux.img console=tty1 console=ttyS2,1500000 root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rw rootwait quiet
│ splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
8 │ Build Date: 16 December 2020 11:52:03PM
9 │
10 │ Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
11 │ Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
12 │ to make sure that you have the latest version.
13 │ Markers: (–) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
14 │ (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
15 │ (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
16 │ (==) Log file: “/var/log/Xorg.0.log”, Time: Sun Mar 7 12:39:19 2021
17 │ (==) Using config directory: “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d”
18 │ (==) Using system config directory “/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d”
19 │ (II) modeset(0): Initializing kms color map for depth 24, 8 bpc.
20 │ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 52: xclock: command not found
21 │ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 53: xterm: command not found
22 │ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 55: exec: xterm: not found
23 │ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 54: xterm: command not found
24 │ xinit: connection to X server lost
25 │
26 │ waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Error from the X log:
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)

After installing xf86-video-fbdev startx start a X session with 3 xterms running. so X works, I was starting to suspect the hardware.

The gdm service is also disabled by default resulting in the drop to console login.

Edit: I made a pull request to the github profiles (and learning how to do that in the first place :slight_smile: )