Make installing from the CLI easier

looks like “architect” is defunct. I wanted to do an install with luks2 → btrfs and ran into numerous resulting issues. what I really wanted to do is install on luks2, and then mount btrfs. What I found is that the gui installer was unable to do that, if you select luks2 it never allows you to tell it the sub partition. So what I went to do was follow a tutorial that gave me basestrap and manjaro-chroot I think this would be fine, except I was missing gnome icons, on installing fprintd it wasn’t configured correctly, I think I could have corrected that via the arch wiki, but other stuff also wasn’t correct, and I couldn’t figure out what was missing. I believe that there are other post install steps for fprintd. What I think would be nice is a meta packages such as gnome-meta that simply installs all of the same packages, and then maybe another command that handles all of the other post install options (unless they already exist). In this way, I could have install used basestrap /mnt gnome-meta.

For Gnome maybe check the manjaro-gnome-settings but then you have to manually copy all from /etc/skel to your home directory and for some particular manjaro fixes there is majaro-system and manjaro-hotfixes

yeah, I’m pretty sure I added manjaro-gnome-settings, I’m not sure I added hotfixes or system but still, I think this would be a good idea for the 4? options, just to have a meta install that grabs the packages, you could always choose to not use it. Just my opinion.

Once the architect will be reloaded as a project, i’m sure will have those improvements.

1 Like

@bogdancovaciu, do you guys have any plans to bring it back?

It was really flexible tool that appealed to people with intermediate skillset, and contributed to making Manjaro so popular. Calamares is sadly close to useless, even Canonical’ Ubiquity is miles better. What makes the situation worse, Calamares dev team would respond with “it does not seem to be useful use case” each time people ask for support for more customized installation, e.g. with unencrypted /boot and LUKS2 instead of the problematic and slow FDE that uses grub support for luks1.

For new installs I now had to move back to Debian, as it is currently the only distro I know of which has flexible installer that can support virtually any installation scenario (at least for me). As much as I love Debian on the server, it is rather cumbersome to be used on a desktop. And, obviously not as slick as Manjaro :slight_smile:

1 Like

See

Thanks @Yochanan

And thank you guys for bringing this awesome distro to life.

This was my first ever post on this forum - and it just shows that even though I have been using Manjaro for nearly 2 years now (installed using Architect), the whole experience was plain sailing for me. I never had to ask for help because I never had any issues, and for everything else there is always excellent docs, helpful forum, and of course Arch wiki. Manjaro has been rock stable and never let me down. Szacun and kudos to you guys, thanks.

2 Likes

This is already supported afaik, it is just matter of configuration. I agree that fde with Grub sucks, that’s why I don’t use it myself.

I have spent 2 days fighting with Calamares but didn’t get anywhere… I don’t think the install with unencrypted /boot is supported though - I have seen few requests thrown at the Calamares dev team, but no mention of this being implemented. On the contrary, explicit comments that it makes no sense to implement it as it is not common scenario :rage:

I read through your post re manjaro-architect package Maintainer(s) wanted - #20 by winnie - super helpful, thanks. I tried KDE install (which is the DE I’m after) but ended up with broken system. XFCE though, although I only tried it for fun, seems to give fully working system atm - with all correct drivers set up and manjaro branding out of the box. If testers needed for KDE LUKS2 install scenarios, count me in - don’t know if I can be useful given my limited time, but I have spare Vostro at hand, happy to help.

actually, I stumbled upon this: Moving an installation to a different drive and encrypting it with LUKS - a guide and it gave me a (crazy?) idea. I do not have enough experience to do fully manual install Arch style, but instead I can make initial unencrypted install (with separate /boot) using Calamares to get a working starting point, backup the root partition, create luks volume in place, copy the root back into encrypted volume, and then sort out fstab, mkinitcpio and grub.

call me desperate :cowboy_hat_face:, but it should be quicker than full manual install, and i can still learn somthing along the way…

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is there any method to a CLI install