Lots of errors when updating kernel to 5.10 (Error while configuring manjaro-system and more)

Hello,

I’m new to the forum and relatively new to linux, and I really wish I came up with a better title for this, but I hope this describes it. Also I hope I formattet the logs right…

basic information:
manjaro
stable
kde plasma
kernel 5.9.16-1

how the errors appeared:
I didn’t run manjaro for two weeks and got a lot of updates on packages and the kernel (5.10.2-2) in pamac. I ran all of them (1.8 GB as orientation, idk) and at the end I got a massive list of errors. As most of them seem to point to the kernel I hope I’m in the right category.

what I did:
I googled some of them and most pointed to people that can’t boot after some kernel update. I really wish to avoid that and did not reboot jet.
The most concerning error for me is Error while configuring manjaro-system (full error-list below). The rest of the errors all are the type of
Warning: <sth>: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/<sth> already existed in filesystem It has been backed up to <sth>
and could just indicate, that kernel stuff is being backed up… but why is it a warning then?
I also tried checking the pacman log and found 5 errors, but nothing helps. One is really unspecific and the other 4 are about kernel 5.8.18-1 so probably unrelevant. Its over a thousand lines long so I included a section at the end.

my concern:
Are those errors critical to boot ('cause googleing seems to point to that)? Can I find out more?
I hope someone could help me out. I’m not really a noob but can’t find any instructions how to fix this and the very unspecific errors don’t lead me anywhere either.

Thanks for everyone who read that and might help.

logs/errors:

pamac “warning” window extract

logfile
Error while configuring manjaro-system
Warning: linux510: /boot/linux510-x86_64.kver already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /boot/linux510-x86_64.kver.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/build/vmlinux already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/build/vmlinux.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/extramodules already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/extramodules.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aegis128-aesni.ko.xz already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aegis128-aesni.ko.xz.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aesni-intel.ko.xz already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aesni-intel.ko.xz.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/blake2s-x86_64.ko.xz already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/blake2s-x86_64.ko.xz.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/blowfish-x86_64.ko.xz already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/blowfish-x86_64.ko.xz.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/camellia-aesni-avx-x86_64.ko.xz already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/camellia-aesni-avx-x86_64.ko.xz.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/camellia-aesni-avx2.ko.xz already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/kernel/arch/x86/crypto/camellia-aesni-avx2.ko.xz.old
logfile
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.order already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.order.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.softdep already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.softdep.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.symbols already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.symbols.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.symbols.bin already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.symbols.bin.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/pkgbase already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/pkgbase.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/vmlinuz already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/vmlinuz.old
Warning: linux510: /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.10-MANJARO/version already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.10-MANJARO/version.old
Warning: mhwd-nvidia: /var/lib/mhwd/ids/pci/nvidia.ids already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /var/lib/mhwd/ids/pci/nvidia.ids.old
Warning: mhwd-db: /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime/MHWDCONFIG already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime/MHWDCONFIG.old
Warning: mhwd-db: /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime/MHWDCONFIG already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime/MHWDCONFIG.old
Warning: mhwd-db: /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia/MHWDCONFIG already existed in filesystem
It has been backed up to /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia/MHWDCONFIG.old
A restart is required for the changes to take effect.

/var/log/pacman.log extract (not the 5.8.18-1 errors)

logfile
[2021-01-08T16:57:53+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img
[2021-01-08T16:57:53+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img
[2021-01-08T16:57:57+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Image generation successful
[2021-01-08T16:57:57+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Image generation successful
[2021-01-08T16:57:57+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] error: command failed to execute correctly
[2021-01-08T16:57:57+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] e[1;1me[1;32m==>e[1;0me[1;1m Checking if graphic drivers need an update ...e[1;0m
[2021-01-08T16:57:57+0100] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] e[1;1me[1;32m==>e[1;0me[1;1m Removing EOL kernel 5.7.xe[1;0m

Hi Implus,

Welcome to the forum! This thread might give you some pointers as to why/how to proceed. From your post it is not clear to me what state your installation is in at the moment, can you boot? If possible could you add the output of inxi -Fazi to the op?

To prevent long posts use the option below, or a external log file host

[details="logfile"]
Logfile content
[/details]

can you returns

sudo mhwd-kernel -li
sudo ls /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset
sudo ls /usr/lib/modules/*

Hi Hanzel,

Well I didn’t reboot after the update, so I’m sitting on the old kernel and the machine is running. I just saw the errors and want to fix that before I can’t boot anymore.

EDIT: I read through the link you provided, but since I’m not running any nvidia hardware, that topic should mostly not be relevant. There was a part with AMD-stuff, but I didn’t reboot yet. Maybe I should try that?
Just want to know wether those errors can have impact on booting… well since they’re errors that most ppl encounter before they can’t boot anymore.

Hi stephane,

[user@pc ~]$ sudo mhwd-kernel -li
[sudo] Passwort für user:
Currently running: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO (linux59)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux54
   * linux59

[user@pc ~]$ sudo ls /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset
/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset  /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux54.preset  /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux58.preset  /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux59.preset

[user@pc ~]$ sudo ls /usr/lib/modules/*
/usr/lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO:
build             kernelbase.old         modules.builtin                modules.builtin.modinfo      modules.dep.bin.old  modules.order.old    modules.symbols.bin.old  vmlinuz.old
extramodules      modules.alias          modules.builtin.alias.bin      modules.builtin.modinfo.old  modules.dep.old      modules.softdep      modules.symbols.old
extramodules.old  modules.alias.bin      modules.builtin.alias.bin.old  modules.builtin.old          modules.devname      modules.softdep.old  pkgbase
kernel            modules.alias.bin.old  modules.builtin.bin            modules.dep                  modules.devname.old  modules.symbols      pkgbase.old
kernelbase        modules.alias.old      modules.builtin.bin.old        modules.dep.bin              modules.order        modules.symbols.bin  vmlinuz

/usr/lib/modules/5.4.85-1-MANJARO:
build         kernel      modules.alias      modules.builtin            modules.builtin.bin      modules.dep      modules.devname  modules.softdep  modules.symbols.bin  vmlinuz
extramodules  kernelbase  modules.alias.bin  modules.builtin.alias.bin  modules.builtin.modinfo  modules.dep.bin  modules.order    modules.symbols  pkgbase

/usr/lib/modules/5.9.11-3-MANJARO:
build         kernel      modules.alias      modules.builtin            modules.builtin.bin      modules.dep      modules.devname  modules.softdep  modules.symbols.bin  vmlinuz
extramodules  kernelbase  modules.alias.bin  modules.builtin.alias.bin  modules.builtin.modinfo  modules.dep.bin  modules.order    modules.symbols  pkgbase

/usr/lib/modules/5.9.16-1-MANJARO:

/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.10-MANJARO:
version  version.old

/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.4-MANJARO:
version

/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-5.9-MANJARO:
version

Maybe it wasn’t clear in my first post, so consider that I didn’t reboot after the update (see my last post).

check version uname -a
if you really have 5.9.11 or 5.9.16

so you can remove

sudo rm /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux58.preset

reboot on 5.4

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux59

check that there is no more 5.9 in /usr/lib/modules/5.9

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux510
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510

reboot on 5.10

Hi stephane,

Thank you very much!

It worked!
I have found some other traces from 5.8 (idk what went wrong there, it was a normal kernel package) and at first it didn’t want to remove 5.10, but I was able to figure that out.

And at the end I successfully booted 5.10!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.