Libtorrent-rasterbar PkgResourcesDeprecationWarning

Hello,

Strange message from: pip list -o | grep -i libtorrent

/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py:116: PkgResourcesDeprecationWarning: 2.0.5-build-libtorrent-rasterbar-src-libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.5-bindings-python is an invalid version and will not be supported in a future release
  warnings.warn(
libtorrent         2.0.5-build-libtorrent-rasterbar-src-libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.5-bindings-python 2.0.5     wheel

libtorrent-rasterbar 1:2.0.5-1 was upgraded from extra repository as qbittorrent dependancy at last major upgrade.

Could someone explain this?

1 Like

/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py:

105   β”‚ class PEP440Warning(RuntimeWarning):
 106   β”‚     """
 107   β”‚     Used when there is an issue with a version or specifier not complying with
 108   β”‚     PEP 440.
 109   β”‚     """
 110   β”‚ 
 111   β”‚ 
 112   β”‚ def parse_version(v):
 113   β”‚     try:
 114   β”‚         return packaging.version.Version(v)
 115   β”‚     except packaging.version.InvalidVersion:
 116   β”‚         warnings.warn(
 117   β”‚             f"{v} is an invalid version and will not be supported in "
 118   β”‚             "a future release",
 119   β”‚             PkgResourcesDeprecationWarning,
 120   β”‚         )
 121   β”‚         return packaging.version.LegacyVersion(v)
1 Like

I have a similar issue with qbittorrent (libtorrent python package) python-pipenv installed from pamac. Running pipenv always give me the same error as the author say. I have no test installing pipenv from pip.

I have no idea how to shut down the warning. (Maybe overwritting libtorrent version for 2.0.5 instead of 2.0.5-build-libtorrent-rasterbar-src-libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.5-bindings-python, but I am not sure if qbittorrent will be working)

$ pipenv check                                                            
/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py:116: PkgResourcesDeprecationWarning: 2.0.5-build-libtorrent-rasterbar-src-libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.5-bindings-python is an invalid version and will not be supported in a future release
  warnings.warn(

After a quick search about PEP440Warning (thanks Yochanan), it means its an issue about the package version numbers
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27493792/python-and-pep-440-how-serious-is-this-warning-about-pep440

Anyways I am triggered why pipenv shot the warning. Are pipenv and (libtorrent) qbittorrent related in a obscure way?

Shall we report this issue to the arch manteiner or upstream (qbitorrent - libtorrent dependency)?

I noticed libtorrent official version is:
and not
$ pip list | grep libtorrent
2.0.5-build-libtorrent-rasterbar-src-libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.5-bindings-python

I guess this caused the warning, so I think I should report to the arch packager, but they don’t accept other OS, only Archlinux which is inconvenient

$ pamac info qbittorrent                                                                                             
Name                  : qbittorrent
Version               : 4.4.0-2
Description           : An advanced BitTorrent client programmed in C++, based on Qt toolkit and libtorrent-rasterbar
URL                   : https://www.qbittorrent.org
Licenses              : custom GPL
Repository            : community
Installed Size        : 9.7 MB
Groups                : --
Depends On            : libtorrent-rasterbar qt6-base qt6-svg hicolor-icon-theme
Optional Dependencies : python: needed for torrent search tab [Installed]
Required By           : --
Optional For          : --
Provides              : --
Replaces              : --
Conflicts With        : --
Packager              : Antonio Rojas <arojas@archlinux.org>
Build Date            : Mon 10 Jan 2022 12:09:21 PM -05
Install Date          : Sun 23 Jan 2022 05:52:16 PM -05
Install Reason        : Explicitly installed
Validated By          : Signature
Backup files          : --
$ pip show libtorrent                                                                                                  ξ‚² βœ” 
Name: libtorrent
Version: 2.0.5-build-libtorrent-rasterbar-src-libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.5-bindings-python
Summary: Python bindings for libtorrent-rasterbar
Home-page: http://libtorrent.org
Author: Arvid Norberg
Author-email: arvid@libtorrent.org
License: BSD
Requires: 
Required-by:

The solution for me was to remove the package and all its dependencies with pacman -Rs (since it was a package that I don’t use and it doesn’t interfere with anything else, it was the best idea I had)

2 Likes

I’ve manually updated the Python package, sudo pip install -U libtorrent, but it didn’t help that much as pipenv was still giving the same error, perhaps had the libtorrent version name was updated as expected (2.0.5).

warnings.warn(

Before:

$ pip show libtorrent                                                                                                                                                    croxarens@tronix 
Version: 2.0.5-build-libtorrent-rasterbar-src-libtorrent-rasterbar-2.0.5-bindings-python                                                                                                       
Location: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages                                                                                                                                                    
Requires:                                                                                                                                                                                      
Required-by:

After:

$ pip show libtorrent                                                                                                                                                    croxarens@tronix 
Version: 2.0.5                                                                                                                                                                                 
Location: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages                                                                                                                                                    
Requires:                                                                                                                                                                                      
Required-by:

So, after looking to the libtorrent-rasterbar dependencies with, pacman -Sii libtorrent-rasterbar | grep 'Required By', I notice none of the programs there are installed in my system, as @Jectluci did, I removed the libtorrent-rasterbar package too.

Hope it helps