Libtiff conflict - can't update depending packages

There are some packages from the AUR which I can’t install because

libtiff5: /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 existiert im Dateisystem (gehört zu libtiff)
libtiff5: /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5.8.0 exists in filesystem (belongs to libtiff)

The packages that need to be upgraded are

6  aur/cewe-fotowelt   7.3.1-2       -> 7.3.1-3
5  aur/novelwriter     2.0.2-1       -> 2.0.3-2
4  aur/pulledpork      3.0.0.4-3     -> 3.0.0.5b-1
3  aur/python-pypdf2   3.0.0-2       -> 1:2.12.1-2
2  aur/python-trimesh  3.15.2-1      -> 3.17.1-1
1  aur/synology-drive  3.2.0_13258-1 -> 3.2.1_13271-1

I’ve tried to exclude some of them, but it seems all of them are using libtiff. I excluded 1, 3 and 4 so far. I can do without 6, but that wouldn’t solve the problem, either.
How can I solve this? Removing libtiff would mean removing a list of >30 packages which depend on it. Or is there another way to circumvent these errors?
BTW: yay doesn’t offer me to remove a conflicting package.

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

libtiff was recently updated in Arch, which no longer provides so.5. So an AUR package was made to handle applications that still need them.

But, as you are using a Manjaro branch that does not have the new libtiff yet, your libtiff.so.5 is still provided by your repo libtiff package. Hence the conflict.

AUR packages are made with Arch repositories in mind.

1 Like

On stable branch the libtiff package is version 4.4.0-4 and has already those files, while the software you are installing/updating from AUR are trying to install also from AUR the libtiff5 hence is ending up with that exists in filesystem … and an AUR package will not replace a repository package unless you insist on doing that (not recommended tho).

Switch to testing branch > Fully update the system and you will not have that issue anymore.

Thanks for your replies. Hm, switching to testing - doesn’t that mean more instability? I’m not sure if I want that.

It’s either that or don’t update your AUR packages, until the next stable update is done.

1 Like

My main install is on testing for about 3 years now and had no actual issues. Even unstable branch is fine (i have it on a different drive, native install). Will require a bit more involvement from your side, but is perfectly fine.

1 Like