Laptop with External Monitor configuration using TB3 Dock, no image after reboot

Hello community,

So I currently installed Manjaro KDE as dual-boot on my XPS 13 laptop, everything runs fine and it’s pretty fast. However, I have a TB3 Dell dock which I’m using it with an external monitor in which I want to use it as my primary screen and the laptop screen be off and lid closed. Problem happens whenever I reboot having my external monitor connected and laptop lid closed. Laptop boots but there’s no image in both laptop and monitor, I have to disconnect the dock and reboot the laptop and then connect again to get image on the monitor. This however DOES NOT happen when my laptop lid is open, however, display settings configurations are not saved therefore I always have to change display configurations to set my monitor as primary screen and disable laptop screen.

I googled this issue but couldn’t find one that fits my current issues, I read on the arch wiki that one can set the following command to “fix” this, however one has to create a udev rule, currently I can’t write udev rules as I always get the message “Permission Denied” even though I am the administrator account, and therefore can’t edit or see those files.

This only happens whenever the lid is closed after a reboot, if lid is open, I get images on both screens however no configurations are saved.

I also played with xrandr and xlayourdisplay however can’t find a way to set those settings permanently.

Wiki command:
#!/bin/bash
intern=LVDS1
extern=VGA1

if xrandr | grep “$extern disconnected”; then
xrandr --output “$extern” --off --output “$intern” --auto
else
xrandr --output “$intern” --off --output “$extern” --auto
fi

Actual Results: No image on both laptop and monitor screens after reboot, have to reboot Manjaro with the dock unplugged.

Expected Results: Reboot normally with laptop lid closed connected to the dock and showing image on external monitor.

Edit: Also tried to edit files within the Thunderbolt files on root folders, but can’t do it given that for some reason I’m not permitted to write and read root files.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

:innocent:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU you have, …
P.P.S. In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

(as that makes our life much easier so you get helped more quickly and efficiently)

:innocent: