Laptop overheating when in sleep mode

so install this:
pamac build envycontrol
then run this:
sudo envycontrol -s integrated
it will prompt you for reboot, so do it. This disables nvidia card, so test if it helped and we can confirm that it is because of nvidia… also try with the 5.15 kernel.

Tried this and verified nvidia drivers aren’t running with nvidia-smi. The behavior is somehow worse, since clicking the sleep button completely freezes the system and the only way to get out of it is a hard reboot. Tried with 5.15 as well. Interestingly, it seems that if I let the PC go to sleep on its own due to inactivity the screen goes fully black without the blinking _ I described earlier. Any logs that can help? I’d also like to note that, if possible, I’d still like to keep nvidia drivers, since I regularly work with cuda and it’s one of the reasons why I got this laptop in the first place, so solutions that allow me to keep the proprietary drivers are appreciated. Thanks!

this was only for testing purposes… so you can uninstall it:
pamac remove envycontrol
then create this file:
kate /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
and add there these 2 lines:

options nvidia NVreg_EnableS0ixPowerManagement=1 NVreg_S0ixPowerManagementVideoMemoryThreshold=10000
options nvidia NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1 NVreg_TemporaryFilePath=/var/tmp

save the file;
reboot and also just to be sure verify in bios that AHCI is still enabled, and test

Thank you very much! You’ve been very kind, I really appreciate it. At first glance this seems to work, the screen blackens properly and the keyboard backlight goes off, which didn’t always happen before. I’ll do some more testing this evening and see if the laptop does overheat, but I’m hopeful it won’t.

If I could steal just a bit more of your time, do you also have some pointers on how I could fix my shutdown issue? I still have to long press my power button to power off because the system hangs on three systemd-udevd processes. Could it have something to do with the Warning: No installed USB configs! I got earlier from mhwd?

does this shutdown ‘freeze’ happens only when shuting down, or also when rebooting?

and these are not related to the issue, i and others have the same warning when they run mhwd -li, so dont pay attention to it…

Happens with both poweroff and reboot, also it seems like other XPS 9720s have this issue, at least according to this post from a while back, and subsequent kernel upgrades didn’t fix it.

Also the sleep doesn’t seem to be fixed after all. It works perfectly at times, but then other times it completely freezes the PC and I can only hard reset, so it seems a bit unstable

so open this file:
kate /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
and add this # to this line:

options nvidia NVreg_EnableS0ixPowerManagement=1 NVreg_S0ixPowerManagementVideoMemoryThreshold=10000
#options nvidia NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1 NVreg_TemporaryFilePath=/var/tmp

save it and reboot and test. Before reboot provide logs:
journalctl -b0 -p4 --no-pager
journalctl -b-1 --no-pager | tail -30

and boot with the 6.0 kernel since you have new hardware

Logs are always helpful… (you can even heat your apartment with logs :crazy_face:)

As @brahma mentioned:

or even better a full log, so that one can investigate what exactly blocked the process.

journalctl --boot -1 --no-pager

Feel free to upload it somewhere and link it here.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-S3-sleep-mode-again/td-p/7495580 This looks like a well known issue.

The arch wiki has more on this machine. Since the firmware update utility seems unreliable it might be a good idea to manually check for firmware/bios updates. Dell XPS 17 (9720) - ArchWiki

WHAT are you doing ???
@brahma think twice !

2 Likes

Soo I re-enabled the drivers with sudo envycontrol -s hybrid and now neither Manjaro nor Windows are able to boot, so I kinda need some help here. Whooops!
Manjaro gets stuck at clean fliles/blocks, and windows gives me inaccessible boot device. I’m not too experienced with this so I need some pointers on how to troubleshoot this and avoid making thinks worse. Thanks!

Dual boot

Please note that changing from “RAID” to “AHCI” can break the default Windows installation and require a complete reinstall. Usually running windows own startup repair utility however fixes this issue in most cases. Another alternative is to follow this guide.

Dell XPS 17 (9720) - ArchWiki .

1 Like

told you to uninstall it completely…
and i didnt notice that you are dual booting, so enabling ahci when using windows is a problem… you have to switch it back, and search for guides on internet how to enable ahci on windows
in the stuck screen enter into tty: ctrl+alt+f2 or f1-f6 keys, enter your username and password, and uninstall envycontrol:
pamac remove envycontrol
reboot:
systemctl reboot

I thought I said I was dual booting in my first post ;-; maybe I misunderstood how to re-enable Nvidia’s drivers looking at their docs so my fault there. I got windows back working switching to raid, but now Manjaro just drops me into an emergency shell. Should I find a way to make AHCI work with windows and switch it back to make it work?

i didnt noticed it … and with raid enabled you can forget about a working suspend…
you can check the last post here:
https://superuser.com/questions/1280141/switch-raid-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows-10
and the only thing you did was switching envycontrol to hybrid?
and you cant even enter into grub?

Manjaro stopped working after I switched back to RAID to get windows back. I can enter the grub CLI from the selector but if I select Manjaro I get dropped into the emergency shell

could be related to the 3060 nvidia card, which has problem booting with the latest drivers… so switch back to ahci in the meantime and try doing this:

I’ll pick this back up tomorrow, don’t really have time right now. I guess I should try to solve the windows issue first and then switch back to ahci and uninstall?

well i would rather first fix manjaro, because what if the switching to ahci doesnt work and you end up with unbootable windows and also with unbootable manjaro, since we dont know now for sure that envycontrol is the reason that you are stuck at the dev clean screen, which very likely is the reason, but anyway, dont risk it with windows until manjaro is fixed