Lack of fonts in the system?

I noticed, that on some sites, usually when they show some interactive diagrams, there is some different font used, and some digits are just replaced with “–” sign. This is highly annoying, because it’s hard to know which digit is hidden behind it, because multiple ones are replaced by it.

For example:

Screenshot_20230323_213923

I noticed it on many sites on various browsers, so I assume, this has to do something with the lack of fonts in the system. We all know, that in order to see normal fonts in browser, we must install ttf-ms-fonts. It looks like I need more.

Here are my installed fonts:

cantarell-fonts
gnu-free-fonts
gsfonts
noto-fonts
noto-fonts-emoji
terminus-font
ttf-bitstream-vera
ttf-caldea
ttf-carlito
ttf-dehavu
ttf-droid
ttf-hack
ttf-inconsolata
ttf-liberation
ttf-ms-fonts
ttf-opensans

Any idea what is missing?

The site shows:

font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

I already have Lucida Grande and Lucida Sans in the system (must installed it manually), but it’s not helping.

Did you install noto-fonts-emoji?

I solved my similar issue:

Yes, I have noto-fonts-emoji installed.

I checked my font.config and it said:

<!-- created by lxqt-config-appearance (DO NOT EDIT!) -->

I did have lxqt installed a while ago, but not anymore. I just renamed it to .bak and put the “good” solution, that is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
    <match target="pattern">
        <test name="family"><string>sans-serif</string></test>
        <edit name="family" mode="append"><string>Noto Color Emoji</string></edit>
    </match>
</fontconfig>

Unfortunately, browser or system restart didn’t fix it. However, all my fonts are system installed and config is a user file. Will the config work for me as a user when fonts are system installed and not user installed?

I also logged in to a different, test user with vanilla settings and the issue is visible there as well. This means, it’s not a problem of a user config, but something in the system.

Here is another example of that issue on a different site:

Screenshot_20230323_234352

In this case, I know it’s number 9, still, it’s very annoying.

I will check it on Windows tomorrow. Maybe those are some “upstream” issues?

Are you certain that they are actually normal numbers and not some obscure unicode character? Sometimes people will use special characters that look similar to normal ones to add some pizzaz. It also might be worth checking the CSS for things like font decorations or weight.

Also, is it possible for you to link an example to see if we can reproduce it?

Yes, I’m sure those are numbers. Why on earth would you write 2019 as 201–? In other case, I can see the numbers fine on phone app or with different diagram. Only the pop-ups on a cursor move with different fond have this problem.

Unfortunately, you cannot check it, because those are pages where you have to have certain accounts, hardware, or pay for, so it’s not publicly available.

EDIT: I checked on Windows and the number displays there fine. In the cases I have shown you, digit 9 is shown as --, although I remember seeing it with different ones as well.

So this is an issue on my Manjaro system. Since both Firefox and Chrome are affected and since it’s not-user config related, it has to be some lack in system, possibly lack of font, or the font is not displayed correctly (a bug).

I would try to reproduce this issue by startup Manjaro-live session?!

1 Like