Kodi 19 HEVC 64 Bit RPi 4 Test Packages

@yannssolo

The combination of the patched kernel and the patch revert in kodi seem to work here. I was able to zoom all the way in both directions in the “Video’s Settings” with no flicker.

Download and unpack the tarball
cd kodi-19-patched
sudo pacman -U *.zst
sudo reboot

New kernel & kodi packages:

md5sum:
181ed6aa93f05d98f833725f25358ce8 kodi-19-patched.tar

kodi-19-patched

Thank you a lot for the packages. I have made some tests by playing back several hevc videos.

When i have the following in my config.txt :

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4,cma-384

Videos in HEVC 10 bits are becoming green and pink when i zoom in above 1.00 (but this is perfect with 8 bits videos)
I tried the following videos :
https://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-90-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit.mkv
https://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv
This is the same for others 10 bits HEVC video i have in my hdd

Now, if i put

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d,cma-384
instead of the previous as above

I do not get libCEC anymore. I do not see anymore the libCEC addon in Settings → System → Input → Peripherals, like the addon disappeared of Kodi.
Although i think this due to 5.10.x kernel because before installing your kernel i had 5.11 rc6 kernel and i was fine. And also, i have seen on several forums lot of issues with libCEC and 5.10.x kernel.

But no flickering issues, and no green or pink artefacts either, so this is really great, very good job :grin:

By the way, which option do you have in your config.txt ? kms or fkms ? I have to say you i do not know really what the difference is between both :frowning:
Don’t you have any issue with libCEC ?

Thank you a lot

1 Like

All of my settings are in post #35 above. Since libcec was broken in 5.10 the people with arch-arm was using libcec-rpi. I included it to install in the packages also in post #35 above. Did you install it? I do not use libcec so I never tested it.

Glad zoom is now working for you now.

Name : libcec-rpi
Version : 6.0.2-3
Description : Pulse-Eight’s libcec for the Pulse-Eight USB-CEC adapter (Raspberry Pi using kms)
Architecture : aarch64
URL : http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/
Licenses : GPL
Groups : None
Provides : libcec
Depends On : udev lockdev p8-platform libxrandr raspberrypi-userland-aarch64-git
Optional Deps : None

Yes, I have it installed, but it disappeared when i change to fkms instead of kms within my config.txt.
I will reinstall it

I know this msg is old and kodi 19 now appears on the repo under test branch. However after installing the kodi 19 packages via repo, it works fine under DE without HW accel. Though launching it through terminal CTR alt f2, it states it fails to build GUI. Am I missing something?

My kodi version is not in the repo. Uninstall what you have installed and download and install what I posted in post #46.

Ok that’s good to know. I’ll remove it and give this one a go.

@Darksky
There has been a lot of modifications related to Kodi those days. If you want you can read the end of this story.

I personally installed upstream Kernel from Arch ARM repo on the last Manjaro ARM.

uname -a
Linux looping 5.10.25-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 22 15:47:10 MDT 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Some patches have been applied for better 10bits hevc (there was still green artefacts when playing back in Kodi, and also some patches for 8bits content were already applied ealier).

Then, i also installed the last version of Kodi from Arch ARM repo, now fully compatible with kms.
The last version of libcec-rpi from upstream works perfectly too.

m2c

I have been following that thread. That is where I got to revert a commit in the kernel to get zoom to work in my last post of the kodi package above. I have also been using that PKGBUILD you pointed to. I am going to recompile the linux-rpi4 kernel as one more commit hit the tree today for kodi:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/e1499baa0b0c4b91f0f149421a212746739b93c2

As for libcec-rpi that should be the same as in our repo. Reading the thread though there are still issues with it working between minor kernel versions and fkms vs kms. Some have to use an earlier version of libcec.

I have not noticed any artifacts so far in my testing.

1 Like

I have also merged popcorn’s tree with the lasted upstream kodi this mourning and going to recompile it later on today.

1 Like

As far as i understand it, libcec-rpi-6.0.2-3 from upstream is not compatible with fkms, and will never be, we have to use an earlier version, 6.0.2-2.
But, as kms is the target now, what conclusion are we supposed to draw ? :slight_smile:

PS : be careful, for testing the zoom, you have to use the slider, not the “z” key.

Although I did not have any issue with the package above after me reverting the kernel patch from reading the thread this supposed to have been fixed with the latest pushes to the kernel by popcornmix.

@Darksky
I am not sure to understand well.
Do you mean you did not have any artifacts with 10bits hevc content before the yesterday’s patch ?

Right. I had read the beginning of the a week or 2 ago and picked up on some things others apparently did not concerning what LibreEcect was doing and reverted some things in the kernel.

I had those artefacts too as related in the post 46 here.
You do not have them because you are a magician, we all know :slight_smile:

Here kodi19-gbm with all of the latest fixes from popcornmix’s repo. My internet got knocked out with an elect storm so haad to improvise using my phone’s wifi hotspot to have internet. Install the linux-rpi4 kernel package that is in the testing or unstable branch. This will have the latest fixes made in the RPi kernel, popcornmix’s and kodi upstream trees.

kodi19_3-23-21

Here is the libcec-rpi package for using fkms.

libcec-rpi-fkms

Hello, I have tested your packages in a rpi4 with 8gb. I have the last stable version of manjaro with xfce. When I try to play any kind of 4k video, i don’t see any images but i can listen the audio. With less resolution videos I can see images…
This happens in “terminal mode” . In graphical mode i can’t start the kodi app.

I don’t know how to resolve this…

what am i doing wrong? My screen resolution is 1080p.

thanks!

These packages in this thread are really old and I do not know if they will even work anymore. kodi-rpi packages are now in the repo.

If you installed these packages uninstall them and reverse any changes made to you OS (as things are different) and install from the repo using the guide in post #1 here under “How to use Kodi RPI on Manjaro ARM”. linux-rpi4 kernel is recommended:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/arm-stable-update-2021-06-04-cutefish-thunderbird-qt6-foot-and-kernels/69009

Thanks!!!