Keyboard isn't working in Wayland session

I’m not sure. Doesn’t pacman -Q look through all the enabled repos?
Btw. It’s not in the web package list either.

Anyways - suppose yes, everything is properly installed: then what?

What’s the output of:

sudo pacman -Qi plasma-wayland-session

(please don’t paste screenshots)

➜  ~ sudo pacman -Qi plasma-wayland-session
Name            : plasma-wayland-session
Version         : 5.27.8-2
Description     : Plasma Wayland session
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://kde.org/plasma-desktop/
Licenses        : LGPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : plasma-workspace  qt5-wayland  kwayland-integration  xorg-xwayland
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 3.45 KiB
Packager        : Antonio Rojas <arojas@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Sun Oct 1 01:09:17 2023
Install Date    : Thu Oct 19 19:47:23 2023
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Thanks for checking!

Please excuse my typo; it should actually be xorg-xwayland; and congratulations, it looks like it’s installed properly.

1 Like

So, any idea what to do about the keyboard problems?

Not yet. Are you fully updated? Which kernel are you using?

OK. All I can suggest is keep using X11 for now, if that works for you. If you post output from commands in How to Find System Information, that might help someone else. I have places to be. Cheers.

My system is fully up to date. All the requested information is in my first post. Thanks for looking into it!

System Settings > Input Devices and check on your keyboard driver. Maybe turn off any customizing you’ve done to your keyboard, if any.

For the sake of productivity, buy a mouse and then use mouse gestures with easystroke :wink:

I can’t find anything about the keyboard driver in Plasma System Settings - unless the selection of the type of keyboard actually selects the driver. There is only one option for 86-keys (generic). However if this driver works in an X11 session, shouldn’t it work the same in Wayland?

I use a mouse most of the time.
The topic of using touchpad gestures is only for those cases where I don’t have a mouse handy.

If nothing is shown then something is wrong, like no driver being selected. Example is my Wayland keyboard

Is the “Keyboard Model” dropdown menu the selector for the driver? Which is in your case “Generic | Generic 104-key PC”?
Bcs if yes, “Generic 86-key PC” has been selected on mine.

The dropdown selects the appropriate keyboard layout and not the driver. The correct layout would depend on the type of keyboard used, you language/locale etc. – if your exact keyboard is listed, you could likely choose that, otherwise the detected default is usually sufficient.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought then. I was advised to check the driver though - so how can I do that (tbh I’m not sure keyboards even have one, in the classic sense)? Arch Wiki hasn’t been helpful in this topic…

Nothing apart from what is already baked into the kernel, I imagine. :slight_smile:

So I’m at a dead end here it seems - Wayland won’t take my keystrokes for no reason. No advice how I could fix it?

Have patience. Wayland, like all things Linux, is a moving target.

Do you have a touchscreen ?

No, this is just a regular old panel.