Kernel updates keep breaking nvidia driver

This has happened to me twice now, everytime there is a system update including a kernel update, manjaro bumps me up to the newest kernel, but that kernel is currently not supported by the nonfree nvidia drivers, so the system can’t boot.

Latest, it happened with kernel 5.13, it updated my kernel to 5.13 and it didn’t boot. When I tried to re-install the nvidia driver with sudo mhwd -f -a pci nonfree 0300, it said target not found: nvdia-513, so I downgraded to 510.

Can’t the system figure out NOT to update the kernel when the corresponding nvidia driver is not there yet ? I thought the whole idea of “package manager” was doing just that ? Perhaps my pacman config is broken somehow?

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

5.13 has been EOL (End Of Life) since last September. It has been dropped from the repos. Sounds like you don’t update very often. A rolling release distro might not be for you.

5.10 is not a downgrade. It’s an LTS (Long Term Support) kernel and is a viable option. 5.15 is the latest stable kernel and will be the next LTS kernel. See https://www.kernel.org/

That sentence does not compute. First, there’s a double negative. Second, the corresponding NVIDIA driver no longer exists.

You’re asking “the system” to do everything for you so you don’t have to do anything yourself? Sorry, you’re using the wrong operating system. I hear there’s a proprietary OS that makes decisions for you whether you like it or not and harvests all your data.

2 Likes

Indeed I had not updated for some months, but I don’t understand how that would cause pacman to install the wrong packages.

I’m not a big fan of your sarcasm directing a new Linux user to Windows/MacOS just because he’s asking for his system to not be broken after a sudo pacman -Syu :confused: , but I appreciate the clarifications.

It didn’t. Without logs, there’s not much to go on to find out what happened.

I suppose it wasn’t necessary or productive, however your expectations are unrealistic when you haven’t taken the time to search the forum, research or provide us with enough details to help you.

Please see:

In the past we had fixed Nvidia drivers per version series. Then some gamers wanted to have the Nvidia driver rolling so the latest driver gets installed. With 495 Kepler cards got removed from support.

So if you have an old card which is now not supported by the latest Nvidia driver then your system also doesn’t boot into a working graphical environment.

We also had the Linux-latest package, which removed outdated kernels with the latest automated. This created also issues with our user base.

So it is always tricky to support all hardware out there.

Maybe check the troubleshooting section of each package update announcement to see what possible breakage can be expected and which manual user intervention might be needed by you. Simply use the news information section at our homepage to find that information.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.