Kernel panic message

Generated on 2020-09-11 21:57:1599850620

#################### inxi -Fxzc0 ########################

System:    Kernel: 5.8.6-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: MATE 1.24.1 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: H81M-DGS R2.0 serial: <filter> 
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: P1.60 date: 07/23/2015 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-4150 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell 
           rev: 3 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 28002 
           Speed: 3499 MHz min/max: 800/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1095 2: 1198 3: 1361 4: 931 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: ASRock 
           driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.1.7 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio vendor: ASRock 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 
           Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: ASRock 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.6-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASRock 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 577.55 GiB used: 76.61 GiB (13.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Patriot model: Burst size: 111.79 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAVS-00G9B0 size: 465.76 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 36.41 GiB used: 11.89 GiB (32.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: /home size: 103.94 GiB used: 17.27 GiB (16.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb5 
Swap:      Alert: No Swap data was found. 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 28.0 C mobo: 33.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): fan-1: 0 fan-2: 1668 fan-3: 1178 fan-4: 0 fan-5: 0 
           Voltages: 12v: N/A 5v: N/A 3.3v: 3.36 vbat: 3.28 
Info:      Processes: 196 Uptime: 11m Memory: 7.46 GiB used: 1.36 GiB (18.2%) Init: systemd 
           Compilers: gcc: 10.2.0 Packages: 1392 Client: Unknown Client: mate-panel inxi: 3.1.05 

That happens after install ubuntu on 2nd hdd and try boot from manjaro.
Selecting fallback initramfs boot is successful.

Also at startup loads grub with ubuntu display

Thank in advance.
and not manjaro format

you have installed version Ubuntu grub , that cannot
boot with microcode and img linux

can you see for a restore grub from manjaro
boot on USB iso manjaro
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

use for chroot

sudo manjaro-chroot -a
< command for grub-install >
exit ( quit chroot )

You have to repair GRUB. Manjaro’s GRUB must be the one installed last, and it needs to be in control.

Boot up from the Manjaro live medium, open up a terminal and and issue the following command… :arrow_down:

su -

Then issue the following command… :arrow_down:

manjaro-chroot -a

Select your Manjaro root filesystem from the menu and issue the following commands…

pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu
grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes --modules="part_gpt part_msdos"
update-grub
sync && exit

Let the commands take all the time they need, even if it takes a long time. Then, when they’re finished, you should be safe to reboot.

[joe-Manjaro ~]# manjaro-chroot -a
==> Mounting (Ubuntu) [/dev/sdb1]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/home]
mount: /mnt/etc/resolv.conf: mount point is a symbolic link to nowhere.

Need to select some option to that command?

root@joe-Manjaro:/# pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu
pacman-mirrors: command not found

Why ?

That’s why: you’ve chrooted into your Ubuntu installation.

Try it without the -a.

root@joe-Manjaro:/# manjaro-chroot
manjaro-chroot: command not found

You have to exit the Ubuntu chroot first, of course. Type…

exit
manjaro-chroot
update-grub
sync && exit

==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory

mkdir /manjaro
manjaro-chroot /manjaro
update-grub
sync && exit

[joe-Manjaro ~]# manjaro-chroot /manjaro
mount: /manjaro/proc: mount point does not exist.
==> ERROR: failed to setup API filesystems in chroot /manjaro

mount /dev/wherever/your/manjaro/is /manjaro
manjaro-chroot /manjaro
update-grub
sync && exit

Thank you very much for your help but i had to go .
I try tomorrow following your instructions.

1 Like

A question just out of curiosity:
The Ubuntu grub is showing kernel version 2.6.32? This kernel is from 2010 or so. Which installation image did you use?

1 Like

First of all I would like to mention that my long contact with ubuntu left me with remnants and a way to solve problems.
Let me explain.
I used applications eg (grub customizer) and I did not have much contact with the terminal and the essence of linux which I believe is the deep knowledge of the structure and interdependence of the components that make up the operating system in general.
On the other hand, I am old enough to deal with it now, but I will also try the fact that I do not know English well.
I would like you to tell me some link to learn what you think I should learn.
Now on to the topic I uploaded I solved it using the grub customizer but I would like to try to analyze the steps needed to solve a problem of this size sometime in the future.

Ubuntu, with Linux 5.4.0-47-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 5.4.0-42-generic

mean 2020 maybe ?

Screenshot at 2020-09-12 09-55-05

This is weird because your 2nd image - screenshot of the ubuntu boot loader - says kernel 2.6.32. And this is really old.

That photo is downloaded (is NOT mine grub)and post it to notice references between the 2 login screen.

Don’t use grub-customizer in Manjaro. It’s not compatible with the already customized GRUB that Manjaro uses. It is however still offered in the repositories because Manjaro also offers grub-vanilla as an alternative boot loader, and grub-customizer does work with that one.

/dev/sda1 then. /dev/sda is your drive itself, and you cannot mount a drive. Well, you can, but only if there is no partition table and the drive has a single, large filesystem on it, and drives like that are not bootable.

It properly chroots into the on-disk installation, including the mounting of /dev, /proc and /sys within the chroot environment.

It fast-tracks five mirrors, synchronizes the databases and commences a full system update.

It installs GRUB to the default location for your platform (i.e. the master boot record of the drive in an MSDOS partition table, or the EFI system partition in a UEFI system), without the Reed-Solomon error-correcting codes (which are often problematic in UEFI setups), and with the modules to support both GPT and MSDOS partition tables preloaded.

I just install Ubuntu MATE alongside Manjaro MATE yesterday. To let Manjaro handle grub you have to reinstall grub from your Manjaro installation after booting with fallback initramfs:

First check where grub is installed:

[kunruh@thinkfreax ~]$ lsblk
NAME                                       MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
nvme0n1                                    259:0    0 476,9G  0 disk  
├─nvme0n1p1                                259:1    0     1G  0 part  /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2                                259:2    0    32G  0 part  
├─nvme0n1p3                                259:3    0    64G  0 part  /
└─nvme0n1p4                                259:4    0 379,9G  0 part  
  └─luks-b682afc6-8cfb-4311-970a-3b7e35fc05ab
                                           254:0    0 379,9G  0 crypt /home

In may case it is nvme0n1p1 (mountpoint is /boot/efi)

Then install grub:

sudo grub-install /dev/nvme0n1p1

and update grub:

sudo update-grub