Kernel 5.9 fails to load, 4.19 is okay

Hi all,
Just reporting…it’s past 11 PM here, so I’ll turn in.
After the update, I experienced a load fail:

● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2021-03-29 23:05:46 CEST; 3min 29s ago
       Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
             man:modules-load.d(5)
    Process: 246 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 246 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

mrt 29 23:05:46 Avalon systemd-modules-load[246]: Failed to look up module alias 'crypto_user': Function not implemented
mrt 29 23:05:46 Avalon systemd-modules-load[246]: Failed to look up module alias 'sg': Function not implemented
mrt 29 23:05:46 Avalon systemd-modules-load[246]: Failed to look up module alias 'msr': Function not implemented
mrt 29 23:05:46 Avalon systemd-modules-load[246]: Failed to look up module alias 'uinput': Function not implemented
mrt 29 23:05:46 Avalon systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
mrt 29 23:05:46 Avalon systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
mrt 29 23:05:46 Avalon systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Notice: journal has been rotated since unit was started, output may be incomplete.

This while loading 5.9… 4.19 loads nicely
As said, not panicing yet (eh, I use Manjaro, why should I panic?) just reporting…
Tomorrow, I’ll dig into it…
Sweet dreams all :sleeping:
Melissa

Hi @ButterflyMelissa ,
I recommend you not to install linux59 kernel because it is an EOL one.
I suggest you to look at this post and perhaps you could choose bewtween linux54 and linux510 kernels that are LTS.
Source:
Will LTS kernel upgrade Manjaro's version the same way the latest non-LTS kernel does - #12 by stephane

Hope this help, regards

2 Likes

It helps, thanks.
You may not have “met” me…I’m the one that goes like:
"o, something went bad…golly…let’s learn something new here" So I actually enjoyed that. Weird, uh? :rofl:
It was late, so I wanted to quickly post this before turning in.
I’ll ask 5.9 to give my regards to Elvis, after all, he too left the building :wink:
The 4.4 was my all-tome favorite, maybe that on comes back. Or…I’ll just stick to one kernel…
Eh, dunnow :slight_smile:
Lemme mark your post as the solution
Thanks
Melissa

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.