KDE Plasma 6 is coming out today. How/when do we update?

Interesting.

I installed KDE Neon Stable with Wayland and KDE6 using QEMU, and it works fine, including full update. While I tried KaOS, and I could not get it to boot after install.

I’m waiting till Plasma 6 hits Arch stable, then I jump into Manjaro unstable, create a backup, install Plasma 6, and see if it has major breaking points for me. If not, it will stay. If there will be problematic bugs, I restore backup and wait for 6.0.1.

I guess, I also have to remember of backing up home as well, because Plasma 6 may alter configs in some way, that restoring without home may cause issues.

3 Likes

Yeah, I had to set hardware accelerated video to get KaOS to boot…

1 Like

Out of curiosity I added the extra-testing repository from Arch and upgraded to KDE 6 and I can say that everything works fine. In 4 days of experimentation I didn’t encounter any problems.

All I’ve noticed are a few black screen issues after locking the screen in an X11 session, which are solved by simply pressing any button. The wayland based session just works. Themes, plugins and widgets from KDE 5 don’t work as expected, you have to wait for the authors to update them (I heard that they may add backwards compatibility in version 6.1, but I’m not sure). Also the Tor browser behaves strangely in a wayland session, it works on the basis of programmatic rendering, which creates performance problems, but firefox works fine. This problem is not present in KDE 5

If anyone is interested I use the following repository:

[extra-testing]
Server = https://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/archlinux/extra-testing/os/x86_64/

And an nvidia graphics card.
I don’t suggest you test this on your main computer unless you can take a system snapshot and understand exactly what you’re doing. Good luck

3 Likes

You added arch extra-testing to manjaro? Then it’s a lucky coincidence that everything “works fine”.

1 Like

There’s a better way for this:

I don’t see anything “lucky” about this, I have always used the unstable branch in manjaro and if you look at the composition of this repository you will realize that there are mainly kde, libreoffice and haskell packages. So there are no package conflicts, again I did not suggest using this for those who do not understand what they are doing.
@Mirdarthos
Yes, I saw this topic, oddly enough it didn’t work for me, so I did it differently

1 Like

After the kde-unstable this was the next step

I do something similiar - it is a great way of testing Plasma 6

And with my system - completely compatible …

It’s lucky that nothing in extra-testing depends on something from core-testing, which should also be enabled, FYI.

Maybe, but, there just aren’t any packages out there that could depend on core-testing. If I had included core-testing it would have been a complete hybrid system. In any case, I suggest not to pay so much attention to this “disagreement”.

After disabling the floating taskbar, it looks 99.1% the same, without the Wayland bugs.

Everything works well! No Plasma 6 yet though? Hopefully we’ll be seeing that in the next one.

Plasma 6 is not even stable on Arch yet. But it’s good idea to wait for couple rounds of fixes.

2 Likes

Oh, if there are stability issues that’s good then. Plasma 6 was just officially released: I was under the impression a final release that’s no longer RC / Beta should always be stable with all major issues having been found.

Stability (=won’t crash essentially) and stable (=development goals reached) release are not same thing. Stable here points to repository. 6.0.1 is currently in Arch testing repo. It won’t be in Manjaro Stable repo until it reaches Arch Stable repo. While Plasma 6 was released as stable release by KDE, it won’t get adapted to various Linux distro repositories automatically. Distro has to maintain configurations and other relevant settings and compatibility with other packages, fit to release cycle and update policies etc. So it’s much bigger release in that sense than just KDE pushing it out.

4 Likes

Suppose it will take a while to get everything working as it should.

1 Like

Maybe we’ll see it soon(ish) in unstable as arch just pushed 6.0.1 to extra.
Btw: 5.27.11 is out as well:

4 Likes

Well kde 6 in the Arch repository has been updated to version 6.0.1 and moved from the extra-testing repository to extra.
@freggel.doe I can’t view this link, is there something important there ?

1 Like

I did not realize it was leading to a post in Member Hub (not available for all users).
I’ve edited my post to repost the content.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. That’s why I installed Timeshift on my main home desktop PC. I have a 1TB SSD taped to the side of my computer and plugged into a rear USB jack, and Timeshift set to backup the OS and all hidden contents of “/home/mainuser” (but not the visible contents, which would bloat backup size from about 10GB to about 2TB), once every 2 weeks.

Why 2 weeks? Because it sometimes takes deeply-embedded Plasma bugs that long to manifest. So if I do a Plasma update, and 10 days later I find that that Plasma version is broken, I can time-shift back to a few days before the update.

That being said, I love Plasma, in spite of the occasional insects.

1 Like