KDE Plasma 5.26.x Stability Inquiry

Well if you see a bug within 15 minutes in a fresh install you should report it. This most likely goes for KDE Neon or those who ship with vanilla look and feel: The 15-Minute Bug Initiative – Adventures in Linux and KDE

2 Likes

Scrolling throught their bugtracker similiar problems are already files multiple times, so i can only hope that this can be resolved. I mean until a week or two ago everything was fine.

1 Like

Well - adding new regressions to “stable” versions seems to be partly a thing. Those happen sometimes also to the kernel development. So ya, we can only hope those won’t get backported to LTS versions …

1 Like

Then the more visible bugs, admittedly… otherwise the others await to de discovered later on, so to speak.

Part of the truth IMO might be that the devs probably have real life situations, too, and skip through things to meet a theoretic deadline per see the release calender and such!..?

Latest Stable Updates (2022-12-06) now pulls in KDE Frameworks 5.100.0.

Anyone want to take the risk of updating, while sticking with KDE 5.24.7 LTS?

:no_mouth:

Is this the day we finally swallow the hard, bitter pill and accept our fate?

2 Likes

It would seem that way…

4 Likes

I use plasma 5.24.6. I updated everything except plasma and all seems to work fine.
It is possible that bugs will appear later but for now I don´t see any problem.

1 Like

5.24.6?

Not 5.24.7?

1 Like

Just applied today’s big update, still running 5.24.7. Seems OK…so far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes 5.24.6.

1 Like

You must have 9 lives… :crossed_fingers:

After today’s update I see that you are indeed correct!

Based on Oldhabits experience, I tried it and he was indeed correct about Frameworks 100. This means that KDE is somewhat modular. But for how long?

1 Like

I’ve done the update — with my fingers crossed — and I had no problems, except that Telegram Desktop had somehow disappeared from my Favorites in the Application Dashboard. :arrow_down:

If you want to stay on Plasma 5.24 LTS, then you should upgrade to 5.24.7. Here’s how to do it. :arrow_down:

That’s what I’ve been telling @philm as well. :wink:

There’s a reason why KDE chose to distribute the development of the Plasma experience over three different branches — i.e. Plasma Desktop, KDE Frameworks and KDE Gear (formerly KDE Applications) — which is that the three different branches would from there on be able to evolve independently and have their own release schedules without breaking compatibility.

Furthermore, the simultaneous existence of the 5.26.x mainline Plasma with the 5.24.x LTS Plasma suggests that KDE does indeed seek to maintain compatibility between the three projects, or at least, until the next major LTS branch appears, which is scheduled to be 5.27.x and which will be the last LTS branch before Plasma 6 is released, albeit that 5.27 LTS will then continue being maintained for quite a while still while 6.x is then the mainline.

When 4.x was released now mumble years ago, the very stable 3.5.x was suddenly dropped and people were forced to install the barely functional 4.x.

And to make matters worse, many distributions even deliberately broke existing 3.5.x installations in their update process because “it was unmaintained upstream anyway”, which caused a great number of KDE users to abandon KDE and switch to XFCE or GNOME, as well as that it also spawned a currently still maintained KDE 3.5 fork called Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE), and an also still maintained Plasma alternative called BE::Shell.

For all their chaotic decisions, I think KDE is still well enough aware of this past mistake to try and avoid that exodus from happening again.

3 Likes

KDE software is modular. Frameworks are used also in the mobile realm. Also other projects use KDE frameworks for their desktops. LxQt might come in mind. Deepin uses all sorts of frameworks also. JingPad, which failed due to a company not knowing how FOSS works, also used parts of KDE software.

3 Likes

All clear, so far. Let’s hope it stays that way…

3 Likes

I shall do the Stable Update soon (while still using Plasma 5.24.7 LTS). :crossed_fingers:

What I find interesting is that even on Plasma 5.26.4 with Frameworks 5.100.0, there are still longstanding bugs and quirks that haven’t been resolved, even though they’re known about. (I have a secondary computer which I am not as tentative about updates.) What this tells me is that we’re not expected to see any real progress until the 6.x series.

2 Likes

Keep crossing those fingers then…

3 Likes

Hold on a second. Did you recently visit the KDE website?

2 Likes