KDE: New menu bar incl. media control and weather display?

Good evening,

I would like to have an additional menu bar at the top of the screen including media controls (play/pause, stop, forward, back) and weather display (temperature, possibly small icon like sun, clouds, rain, etc.) - just can’t find the right one via search engine of my choice or even by testing and playing around. Probably it is due to lack of use of the technical terms. I use a German Manjaro (or KDE) and don’t know the English terms for “Anwendungsmenüleiste” (application menu bar?) and “Leere Kontrollleiste” (empty control bar).

What I have managed so far: an empty control bar including miniprograms. Unfortunately, I always have to click on the mini-program icon first, so that the mini-program opens - only then I see the content / display of the mini-program. Furthermore, the menu bar of various programs (e.g. Dolphin) opens in the same control bar and thus displaces the miniprogram icons.

I appreciate any help and support.

Regards

German version below

Hey there, I think the correct term for the Leiste at the bottom of the screen is panel.
If I understand you correctly: You want a panel at the bottom (with the application menu on the left, tray icons on the right)
and a panel at the top of your screen (with media control and weather applet).
Is that right?

You can use this applet here Media Controller Compact - KDE Store to get Media controls directly on the panel. The last time I used it Though, I had some issues with it, but I don’t really know anymore which and maybe they are already fixed.
A weather widget is already included in KDE, though it’s default appearance is very basic (it only shows an icon indicating the current weather, to get the temperature, you have to click on it).
Maybe you can find one that suits your needs, just search for “xxx applet KDE plasma” (with xxx e.g. weather or media control).
There should then be a website called pling, where you can see them and maybe directly install it.
Alternatively, reddit sometimes also links to applets.
You can also install applets directly through plasma, to do so, right click on your desktop → add applet - > install applet (at the top of bottom) - > install online.
Since I’m a) using KDE in German as well and b) I’m writing this on my mobile, the titles may vary, but it should be similar.

I hope this solves your issue!
Also, if you’re uncomfortable with the English language, there’s also a German forum here, that might be a bit easier, especially since Manjaro has quite a lot German users (including me). :slight_smile:
Should you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

By the way: If you are looking for a good translator (the best I know), I can only recommend deepl.com. It’s from a German company, so the data is a bit safer there. :slight_smile:

Hallo, ich glaube, der richtige Begriff für die Leiste am unteren Bildschirmrand ist Panel.
Wenn ich dich richtig verstanden habe: Du willst ein Panel am unteren Rand (mit dem Anwendungsmenü links, den Tray-Icons rechts)
und ein Panel am oberen Rand des Bildschirms (mit Mediensteuerung und Wetter-Applet).
Ist das richtig?

Du kannst dieses Applet hier Media Controller Compact - KDE Store verwenden, um die Mediensteuerung direkt auf dem Panel anzuzeigen. Als ich es das letzte Mal verwendet habe, hatte ich allerdings einige Probleme damit, aber ich weiß nicht mehr genau, welche und vielleicht sind sie schon behoben.
Ein Wetter-Widget ist bereits in KDE enthalten, obwohl es standardmäßig sehr einfach aussieht (es zeigt nur ein Symbol, das das aktuelle Wetter anzeigt, um die Temperatur zu erfahren, muss man darauf klicken).
Vielleicht findest du eines, das deinen Bedürfnissen entspricht. Suche einfach nach “xxx applet KDE plasma” (mit xxx z.B. Weather oder Media control).
Es sollte dann eine Website namens pling geben, auf der du sie sehen und vielleicht direkt installieren kannst.
Alternativ dazu verweist reddit manchmal auch auf Applets.
Du kannst Applets auch direkt über Plasma installieren, dazu musst du mit der rechten Maustaste auf deinen Desktop klicken → Miniprogramm hinzufügen - > Mini Programm installieren (am oberen oder unteren Rand) - > online installieren.
Da ich dies auf meinem Handy schreibe, können die Titel variieren, aber sie sollten ähnlich sein.

Ich hoffe, das löst dein Problem!
Wenn du dich mit der englischen Sprache nicht wohl fühlst, gibt es hier auch ein deutsches Forum, das ist vielleicht etwas einfacher, vor allem da Manjaro viele deutsche Benutzer hat (mich eingeschlossen) :slight_smile:
Solltest du weitere Fragen haben, kannst du sie gerne stellen!

Übrigens: Suchst du nach einem guten Übersetzer (der beste den ich kenne), kann ich nur deepl.com empfehlen. Ist von einem deutschen Unternehmen, die Daten sind da also etwas sicherer. :slight_smile:

German version below

Oh and you want a the menu of the application in the top panel? I guess what you are looking for is global menu.
It’s also an applet and you seem to have found it already.
To make sure that applets are not displaced when you open an application, you can add a spacer.
To add one, right click on your panel - > edit mode and an extra bar next to your panel opens.
There is a button to add a spacer. It will be placed somewhere between your applets, move it to the place you need it.
The applets right of the spacer will be displayed at the right side of the panel, left of the spacer should be the global menu (otherwise applets between spacer and global menu will change the positioning based on the size of the menu) and on the left of the global menu you can place applets that should always be on the left side of the panel.
You can also have a look at Latte-dock, just search for it online, it’s a program that can add docks, panels etc. with much more options than the default Plasma panels.

Oh, und du willst das Menü der Anwendung im oberen panel? Ich vermute, du suchst ein globales Menü.
Es ist auch ein Applet und du scheinst es bereits gefunden zu haben.
Um sicherzustellen, dass die Applets nicht verdrängt werden, wenn du eine Anwendung öffnest, kannst du einen Abstandhalter hinzufügen.
Um einen hinzuzufügen, klicke mit der rechten Maustaste auf Ihr Panel - > Bearbeitungsmodus und es öffnet sich eine zusätzliche Leiste neben deinem Panel.
Dort befindet sich eine Schaltfläche zum Hinzufügen eines Abstandshalters. Er wird irgendwo zwischen deinenApplets platziert. Verschiebe ihn an die Stelle, an der du ihn brauchst.
Die Applets rechts vom Spacer werden auf der rechten Seite des Panels angezeigt, links vom Spacer sollte das globale Menü sein (andernfalls ändern die Applets zwischen Spacer und globalem Menü die Positionierung je nach Größe des Menüs) und links vom globalen Menü können Applets platzieren werden, die immer auf der linken Seite des Panels sein sollten.
Du kannst auch einen Blick auf Latte-dock werfen, suche einfach danach online, es ist ein Programm, das Docks, Panels etc. mit viel mehr Optionen als die Standard-Plasma-Panels hinzufügen kann.

@Tobi_Peter
Thanks for your explanation and sorry for the late reply. I’ll try your explanation today/tomorrow. Basically I am looking for something like this:

My attempt to get help in German unfortunately remained unanswered until now. :frowning: